Elevated phosphorus in puppy

rxreptile01

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexi and Shelby
We just had our six month old spayed today. Everything went well, but the vet says her phosphorus is elevated. He's not concerned because she is going to be a big girl and is growing quickly. Has anyone encountered this before? He wants to recheck it in six months when she's closer to being full grown.

Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not, but will tag a few members that might have some insight

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have no experience w/this… I'm sorry. I wish you all the best w/your baby!!!

rjisaterp

Community Veteran
Apr 18, 2014
Somewhere in the Universe. Really Maryland.
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cooper, Jewel (April 27, 2013-May 7, 2022-RIPDaddy's Girl) and (Bentley Oct 2013-Dec 2021)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
We just had our six month old spayed today. Everything went well, but the vet says her phosphorus is elevated. He's not concerned because she is going to be a big girl and is growing quickly. Has anyone encountered this before? He wants to recheck it in six months when she's closer to being full grown.

Thank you

I guess the big question would be how elevated was it? I would ask for a copy of the test results and take them to another vet for a second opinion and a possible retest to see if the results have changed in a week or two.

OP
R

rxreptile01

Oct 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Lexi and Shelby
I guess the big question would be how elevated was it? I would ask for a copy of the test results and take them to another vet for a second opinion and a possible retest to see if the results have changed in a week or two.

Thank you for the feedback. I have read the articles on elevated phosphorus, but the vet feels that is it because she is growing so quickly. She is six months, 47 pounds, and not overweight! I also found several articles that discussed this.
We're just being extra careful and probably a little paranoid. We lost out Shelby at 2 and 1/2 years old due to a possible liver problem. It was a devastating loss for us and her sister Lexi. We've had four vets review all of her notes and still don't know exactly what happened. We chose not to do the autopsy.

chemist

Mar 28, 2014
Midwest USA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Beaker
I had Beaker spayed at ,7 months and her phos was 8.0 and the upper range of normal is only 6.0. My vet explained it as a growing puppy also. Her surgery was fine and made it thru anesthesia fine. I would not worry unless one of the other liver enzymes or calcium was abnormal. See how they went thru with the surgery they were probably fine.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.