bright red blood at the end of his poops

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Prescott, Wisconsin, United States
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
Quick question... graphic :( so loki is eating and drinking normal and it has been a very stressful couple of days for him but this morning I notice that at the end of his some what diarrhea poops there is red blood probably not a lot but enough to make me worry. Any ideas? I called his vet and they aren't to concerned since he is eating and drinking normally but if tomorrow it is still happening to bring him in.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Nicole, that's always scary when we see blood in our bully's stool. Has Loki been straining when he goes #2 ? You mentioned diarrhea, so straining may not be the case. Or has he been constipated? if it's bright red you tend to think more lower GI tract like hemorrhoidal, for instance. If it happens again, take a stool sample to the vets so they can have it analyzed. This actually happened to Finn a couple times last year but nothing was found and it resolved by itself. You may want to give him some extra pure pumpkin in his food to firm up the stool and to help him go if he is having some constipation.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
No straining just normal pooping he has pooped now 4 times and it does seem to be getting better. He did snatched a few pieces of creamy cucumber last night so we are thinking that could be what caused the problem. He hasn't had pumpkin before so I am reluctant to give him any for fear it may make it worse.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
You say he has had a stressful couple of days.....he could have a touch of colitis from nerves. Try some Pepto Bismol, and the pumpkin-he may have irritation from loose stools. If you still see blood, I agree-take a stool sample in to vet..

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Quick question... graphic :( so loki is eating and drinking normal and it has been a very stressful couple of days for him but this morning I notice that at the end of his some what diarrhea poops there is red blood probably not a lot but enough to make me worry. Any ideas? I called his vet and they aren't to concerned since he is eating and drinking normally but if tomorrow it is still happening to bring him in.

Should not be anything to worry about... this happens to Banks sometimes too when she is starting to be stressed, if it is more than a drop or two or happens over a couple days it may be more concerning, but let his stress settle down and see if it is gone after that. The pumpkin will firm or loosen the stool, which ever is needed.... cool how it does that, but it does work either way. Just use about a tablespoon once a day as needed.

OP
Lokismom

Lokismom

Jul 22, 2013
Country
United States of America
Bulldog(s) Names
Loki Beans
He has less blood now hasn't pooped for a but gave him about a half cup of his food a hour ago and so far so good. We have family in town from Washington that he never meet before so he is more antsy then normal

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Bright red is better than dark red..if there is an issue it's near the exit at least.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
He has less blood now hasn't pooped for a but gave him about a half cup of his food a hour ago and so far so good. We have family in town from Washington that he never meet before so he is more antsy then normal

messin with the Bulldog OCD.... People that don't belong.... Eek!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.