Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe mucus

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbie
    Likes (Received)

Question Severe mucus

My 10 year old bulldog has had her share of difficulties. She has IBS which she takes famotidine, metronidazole, and prednisone. She still has bouts of vomiting and diarrhea and must have inhaled some vomit. This has caused a terrible upper respiratory infection. Vet put her on cefpodoxime after giving her 2 shots of prednisone and antibiotic. This poor dog is still gagging on mucus after 2 days. is there anything anyone knows of to ease this thick mucus production? She gags and throws up after drinking which is about 6 times a day and has very little appetite. I am concerned about her keeping all her meds down and so sad to see her so distressed. Thank you for any advice. Vet knows all this and wants me to call if she gets worse.

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbie
    Likes (Received)

Question Severe mucus

My 10 year old bulldog has had her share of difficulties. She has IBS which she takes famotidine, metronidazole, and prednisone. She still has bouts of vomiting and diarrhea and must have inhaled some vomit. This has caused a terrible upper respiratory infection. Vet put her on cefpodoxime after giving her 2 shots of prednisone and antibiotic. This poor dog is still gagging on mucus after 2 days. is there anything anyone knows of to ease this thick mucus production? She gags and throws up after drinking which is about 6 times a day and has very little appetite. I am concerned about her keeping all her meds down and so sad to see her so distressed. Thank you for any advice. Vet knows all this and wants me to call if she gets worse.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bentley, Linus, Truman
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Severe mucus

I know lemon juice has been known to work to break up mucus but honestly, with her age and condition, I would call your vet and let her know your baby isn't faring too well.

"I think dogs are the most amazing creatures; they give unconditional love. For me they are the role model for being alive."
    Bentley (5.24.04 - 6.26.10) & Linus (1.10.06 - 7.31.13)

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by sheshistory View Post
    I know lemon juice has been known to work to break up mucus but honestly, with her age and condition, I would call your vet and let her know your baby isn't faring too well.
    totally agree here... her age would be a concern for me too
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you so much for your help. This has been such an awful day. She has gagged on mucus almost every hour. tried to feed her some potato because she's not allergic to it. I'm hoping she turns the corner tomorrow. I've been in contact with the vet who has a bulldog of his own.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

If you have vaporizer put it on for her. Or steam up the bathroom ,it may help.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Head Pooper Scooper I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    David
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
    Likes (Received)

Try the lemon juice, just squirt some in her mouth, it helps break it up. Hope she gets better soon.
    Have a Great Bully Day.
    Member of The Bulldog Club of America, The Bulldog Club of Texas and French Bulldog Club of America.
    Bully hugs from - BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri & Katie

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by AbbieR View Post
    Thank you so much for your help. This has been such an awful day. She has gagged on mucus almost every hour. tried to feed her some potato because she's not allergic to it. I'm hoping she turns the corner tomorrow. I've been in contact with the vet who has a bulldog of his own.
    How is she doing today?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Agree with a steamy bathroom to help break up the mucus, just make sure you stay in there because it gets very hot in there, once you're starting to get uncomfortable it's time to open the door. I hope she's doing okay today.

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbie
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for asking. She did gag two times this morning. But she's been holding down water for the last hour which is so much better than she's been doing. I'm hopeful she is getting better. She appears a bit more alert too. They say cats have 9 lives but I think my dog does too! She definitely appears less distressed.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Praying that Abbie continues to improve,it is so upsetting to us when they are sick. God Bless Abbie.
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abbie
    Likes (Received)

-image-jpg Here's Abbie with paper towels in front of her in case she gets sick. You can see she lifted her head for her photo op. I take this as a good sign! She shrunk from not eating but I'm hoping in a couple of days she will put her fighting weight back on! So 2 hours with water still in her makes me very optimistic. She was so sick. I really was scared. Thank you all again and I will keep you posted. Wish I knew about this site when I got her. She'll be 11 in October.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads