Severe mucus

AbbieR

Jul 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbie
My 10 year old bulldog has had her share of difficulties. She has IBS which she takes famotidine, metronidazole, and prednisone. She still has bouts of vomiting and diarrhea and must have inhaled some vomit. This has caused a terrible upper respiratory infection. Vet put her on cefpodoxime after giving her 2 shots of prednisone and antibiotic. This poor dog is still gagging on mucus after 2 days. is there anything anyone knows of to ease this thick mucus production? She gags and throws up after drinking which is about 6 times a day and has very little appetite. I am concerned about her keeping all her meds down and so sad to see her so distressed. Thank you for any advice. Vet knows all this and wants me to call if she gets worse.

OP
A

AbbieR

Jul 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbie
My 10 year old bulldog has had her share of difficulties. She has IBS which she takes famotidine, metronidazole, and prednisone. She still has bouts of vomiting and diarrhea and must have inhaled some vomit. This has caused a terrible upper respiratory infection. Vet put her on cefpodoxime after giving her 2 shots of prednisone and antibiotic. This poor dog is still gagging on mucus after 2 days. is there anything anyone knows of to ease this thick mucus production? She gags and throws up after drinking which is about 6 times a day and has very little appetite. I am concerned about her keeping all her meds down and so sad to see her so distressed. Thank you for any advice. Vet knows all this and wants me to call if she gets worse.

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I know lemon juice has been known to work to break up mucus but honestly, with her age and condition, I would call your vet and let her know your baby isn't faring too well.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know lemon juice has been known to work to break up mucus but honestly, with her age and condition, I would call your vet and let her know your baby isn't faring too well.

totally agree here... her age would be a concern for me too

OP
A

AbbieR

Jul 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbie
Thank you so much for your help. This has been such an awful day. She has gagged on mucus almost every hour. tried to feed her some potato because she's not allergic to it. I'm hoping she turns the corner tomorrow. I've been in contact with the vet who has a bulldog of his own.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
If you have vaporizer put it on for her. Or steam up the bathroom ,it may help.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Try the lemon juice, just squirt some in her mouth, it helps break it up. Hope she gets better soon.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thank you so much for your help. This has been such an awful day. She has gagged on mucus almost every hour. tried to feed her some potato because she's not allergic to it. I'm hoping she turns the corner tomorrow. I've been in contact with the vet who has a bulldog of his own.

How is she doing today?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree with a steamy bathroom to help break up the mucus, just make sure you stay in there because it gets very hot in there, once you're starting to get uncomfortable it's time to open the door. I hope she's doing okay today.

OP
A

AbbieR

Jul 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbie
Thank you for asking. She did gag two times this morning. But she's been holding down water for the last hour which is so much better than she's been doing. I'm hopeful she is getting better. She appears a bit more alert too. They say cats have 9 lives but I think my dog does too! She definitely appears less distressed.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
:pray:Praying that Abbie continues to improve,it is so upsetting to us when they are sick. God Bless Abbie.

OP
A

AbbieR

Jul 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbie
image.jpg Here's Abbie with paper towels in front of her in case she gets sick. You can see she lifted her head for her photo op. I take this as a good sign! She shrunk from not eating but I'm hoping in a couple of days she will put her fighting weight back on! So 2 hours with water still in her makes me very optimistic. She was so sick. I really was scared. Thank you all again and I will keep you posted. Wish I knew about this site when I got her. She'll be 11 in October.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=12469]AbbieR[/MENTION] She has the cutest face! Her eyes look pretty bright considering how sick she has been-:pray::pray::pray:Get WELL Soon, Abbie girl!

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
View attachment 74940 Here's Abbie with paper towels in front of her in case she gets sick. You can see she lifted her head for her photo op. I take this as a good sign! She shrunk from not eating but I'm hoping in a couple of days she will put her fighting weight back on! So 2 hours with water still in her makes me very optimistic. She was so sick. I really was scared. Thank you all again and I will keep you posted. Wish I knew about this site when I got her. She'll be 11 in October.

What a beautiful girl

OP
A

AbbieR

Jul 25, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Abbie
Just wanted to let you know Abbie finally ate and drank and held everything down this morning. She seems unfazed by the whole ordeal. Thank you for your concern and help.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.