Winston ate some underwear, we think

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Question. We know this has happened before and everything went fine.

We think it's happened again. My girlfriend is missing a pair that was in the dirty clothes. This happened a few days ago and today Winston has vomited twice. I want to get some high fiber food to get stools moving, as he's acting normally otherwise. Want is a good thing for him to eat, canned pumpkin?

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
Well, you can hope they pass as they did before but watch for signs of an intestinal obstruction. I'm not sure there's much you can do to facilitate the underwear from passing but pumpkin is typically used to stop up diarrhea.

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Definitely keep an eye out as they can get balled up in the intestine. Last time Harlea ate a sock it was 2 weeks before she puked it up. You can try giving additional pumpkin for the fiber to get things moving a bit but it doesn't always work.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
As the others have said just watch him and hope they pass soon. I would just feed as normal.

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Well brought into Emergency vet hospital since it's the weekend and they think its caught in the small intestine. They didn't sound really convincing that it was there as he couldn't show me on the Xray were it was, but he showed me where he thought it would be. The stomach was dilated and full of fluid he said, makes sense since he drank water.

Anyone else been in this predicament? Winston is all himself and hasn't puked for since this morning. But hasn't ate much either. I'm also wondering if the regular vet for a surgery like this is any cheaper, not talking $10-20 bucks but in the hundreds cheaper?

Any help or experiences would be helpful!

Thanks

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Why did you bring him in? Is he showing signs of obstruction? Vomiting, no poops, or not eating or drinking? My dog threw up the underwear he ate. Now all laundry is on lock down. He has also eaten socks which he has pooped out!

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Why did you bring him in? Is he showing signs of obstruction? Vomiting, no poops, or not eating or drinking? My dog threw up the underwear he ate. Now all laundry is on lock down. He has also eaten socks which he has pooped out!

Vomiting three times today. He eats, drinks and is his playful self, but the vomiting mainly. He pooped twice today, which is par for the course when he didn't eat dinner.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Its such a tricky call. I would really want to see the xrays. Is he home now?

bryanmetzger

May 6, 2013
Cincinnati, Ohio
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Rufus / Rocco / Lola
This reminds me of the time I saw something hot pink sticking out of my Rufus' bum and had to pull it out like a magician with hankercheifs in their sleeve

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Its such a tricky call. I would really want to see the xrays. Is he home now?

I did see the Xrays. His stomach was distended (bloated) beyond where it should be according to them. There was no outline of any cloth material, but they said you wouldn't see cloth. He explained that he thought it was near a basically "U" in the smaller intestine. He's in surgery now, and we won't have him back until tomorrow assuming everything goes well.

In other news, any recommendations on insurance companies?? Sounds comical, but now it's a reality. I know they aren't going to cover this, but might as well have it for those times you think nothing will happen.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers for this Precious Winston, Please let us know how he is doing and if he did swallow the underwear. Loads Of Love Sending Winston's Way.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I did see the Xrays. His stomach was distended (bloated) beyond where it should be according to them. There was no outline of any cloth material, but they said you wouldn't see cloth. He explained that he thought it was near a basically "U" in the smaller intestine. He's in surgery now, and we won't have him back until tomorrow assuming everything goes well.

In other news, any recommendations on insurance companies?? Sounds comical, but now it's a reality. I know they aren't going to cover this, but might as well have it for those times you think nothing will happen.

Hugs and prayers all has gone well! Lots here have insurance, but we just keep a credit card for vet emergencies only. Paying insurance monthly and hoping they cover is just not how I want to spend my money. There is also Care credit... See if your vet uses/accepts it... You can borrow money interest free for 6 months to cover such unexpected bills

OP
Caldy315

Caldy315

Apr 16, 2013
Minnesota
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Thanks guys. It must have been a relatively easy procedure. They called at 11 last night said everything went well and right where he thought it would be is where there was some material. He also said there was some wood chips that werent helping anything either as far as letting it past.

Winston will occasionally go into the landscape at our apt and eat the wood chips. We try and not let him in there/eat then but he still gets them from time to time.

Now we've gotta figure out how to stop that. Any recommendations?

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack

How is doing? Did they find it? Sending prayers he's okay :pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks guys. It must have been a relatively easy procedure. They called at 11 last night said everything went well and right where he thought it would be is where there was some material. He also said there was some wood chips that werent helping anything either as far as letting it past.

Winston will occasionally go into the landscape at our apt and eat the wood chips. We try and not let him in there/eat then but he still gets them from time to time.

Now we've gotta figure out how to stop that. Any recommendations?

So happy they got it out and he is doing well. Banks is obsessed with wood chips too... She will pull until she can get to them. It is a training battle for sure, when out with her, keep her favorite treat or some kibble in your pocket and redirect her with them when she goes for the wood chips. Tell her no and when she looks at you give a treat

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online