heartworm/flea preventive recommendations? Help appreciated.

Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Hi-
Cricket's just had her 3rd dose of Comboguard tonight. She had no problems with the first dose. She threw up after the second dose last month (the same time she had a stomach bug, so the vet's office suggested trying it again to see). I just gave her her 3rd dose with dinner. A few hours later, her ENTIRE dinner came up, and she's made a mess of two rooms in my house- poor little girl.

She's okay now- I think she's gotten it all out, but has anyone else had any problems with Comboguard?

What flea/heartworm preventive would you recommend I use for her? Clearly, I'm taking her off the Comboguard and the vet will hear from me on this matter. I'm thinking about Heartgard and Frontline Plus...?

Thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Cricket, poor baby. I'm not familiar with the Comboguard brand, we use Revolution, and have really good results with it. It kills fleas and ticks, ear mites, tapeworm, hookworm, and round worm, as well as heart worm and Sarcoptic mange. It's administered once a month on the back of the neck from June to November.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
We use Sentenil, have for many years without issue

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I use advantix for flea and ticks during the spring and summer but my boys have never been given any heart worm preventative..they just get tested for it every year.. I'm not sure if that is smart or not but that was what my vet suggested back when we first got fatso..a few months ago we were going to take in another male ebd but I was afraid he wouldn't fit in with my boys being a lot younger and a lot more energetic so we found a family for him and he tested positive for heartworm after they brought him home..ever since then I've been worried that I should start using it because it cost a lot and seemed like the treatment was extensive..

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
We use Sentinel for heartworms and fleas, works great and we have never had any problems with it, and we have given it to a lot of bullies.

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Hi, I'm sorry you're going through this with Cricket, poor baby. I'm not familiar with the Comboguard brand, we use Revolution, and have really good results with it. It kills fleas and ticks, ear mites, tapeworm, hookworm, and round worm, as well as heart worm and Sarcoptic mange. It's administered once a month on the back of the neck from June to November.

Do you use any heart worm med during the off months?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I use heartguard plus. I prefer to separate flea tick preventative from the heart-worm preventative. Never used Combo-guard but I would definitely not give it again being that she has become sick twice when taking it. I use heartworm preventative every month and "used" flea/tick meds only when necessary in the past. I haven't used any flea/tick meds this spring or summer and so far so good. I will only use natural flea/tick repellants from now on.

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
We use Heartgard Plus, we have for many years on all of our dogs, Elmo has had no problems with it. Please I would not use Combo-guard again it is making her sick.

OP
B

Brilloluna

Jul 20, 2014
Northern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Cricket (2014-) Willa: (2001-2013)
Hi- Thanks for the suggestions. I took Cricket off Comboguard, and because I was going to be out of town, I gave her Advantage for fleas. Her vet prescribed Quadriguard for heartworm.... and the Quadriguard came right back up. I'm not going to give her any more oral flea/heartworm preventive medicines anymore. It's clear she can't handle them, so I'm looking into a topical medicine. Revolution has come up several times, and I've also read a bit about Advantage Multi. Cricket's vet sells "Paradyne" which is the same as Revolution.. or so the office says. Does anyone know about Revolution vs Advantage Multi? I'm leaning more toward Revolution because it's a more familiar name to me, especially on these forums. Thanks!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I don't have any experience with Advantage Multi, I have only used Revolution, and we've used it since they were puppies. Never had any issues, side effects, or sickness with this product, and they have never had a flea on them so far. They are 2 and 1/2 years old. My vet also has a EB and she both recommends and uses Revolution on her dogs.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.