HELP! Eczema? Acne? Irritation? Allergies? What is this!!

DjangoAndWinniesMom

May 2, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django and Winnie
My 8 month female bully, Winnie, is going into heat for the first time! She actually just started dropping little blood last night, but starting about 4 days ago I noticed her face getting VERY red and irritated. I don't know if starting her first heat has anything to do with it, but I figured I'd let y'all know anyways. I've been extra careful about cleaning and drying her face... I even tried to spray some paper towels with Vetericyn and dab that on there as well to no avail. I'm going to go get some Benedryl for her tonight as I have given that to her in the past. Today I also noticed a bit on her front leg too! We just switched to Taste of the Wild about 3 weeks ago. She seems to have a lot of allergies because she would throw up her food a lot. We've been switching somewhat frequently trying to find the best thing for her. To me, it looks like some kind of eczema. I worry even more because it surrounds her eyes. It gets much worse if she is outside (I noticed it for the first time when we went to the dog park on Monday) Does anyone know what this is?
winnieface.jpgleggy.jpg
And ya, her face look extraordinarily scary here! That is a very common face for her to make lol but the redness looks MUCH worse with the flash on it. :ohmy::ohmy::ohmy:

Last edited:

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Aww, poor baby. I don't have any experience with dogs in heat, so I'm not sure if that could be causing the issue. If you noticed it at the dog park, maybe it was an allergy to something around you? Grass? When Ruckus was a puppy he would get a rash on his belly from playing in the grass. When he comes in from playing outside I make sure to wipe off his paws and belly still. Your girl looks like she is covered in a rash....have you tried benadryl? You might want to call your vet and ask about it, but you can also find dosage information here http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...tions-that-are-safe-for-dogs-and-their-dosage! I hope she feels better soon!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looks like a bad allergic reaction to me, poor baby!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
Goob had the same exact thing! It began suddenly. We gave him benadryl as needed for 2 days and it went away. The best guess we could come up with was a spider bite. We never let the benadryl run out here just in case this happens again. Hope your baby heals up soon. I know how scary it feels.2013-07-05 01.14.26.jpg2013-07-05 01.11.25.jpg2013-07-05 01.10.53.jpg

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree with otheres.... looks to be a reaction to some type of bug/spider bite. How is she today?

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Do you see any improvement since giving Benadryl?

It sounds like you've been having allergy symptoms for awhile thus the food changes. The only thing about food trials is it can take several months to see any results so if you are switching more frequently she may still be reacting to the previous food. Poor baby looks miserable. :( Have you ruled out environmental allergies as well?

Itching from allergies can easily turn into bacterial infections so I would go to the vet if the Benadryl doesn't work.

OP
DjangoAndWinniesMom

DjangoAndWinniesMom

May 2, 2014
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Django and Winnie
Goob had the same exact thing! It began suddenly. We gave him benadryl as needed for 2 days and it went away. The best guess we could come up with was a spider bite. We never let the benadryl run out here just in case this happens again. Hope your baby heals up soon. I know how scary it feels.View attachment 74878View attachment 74879View attachment 74880

OMG, not saying I'm glad you've gone through this too but these pictures put my mind at ease SO much! Thank you! We live in the hills so there are plenty of spiders around all the time, so this very well could be it! I went to get benadryl last night at the store and you'll never guess... THEY WERE OUT! What! So I got some today once other stores opened up, so we are trying that for the first time tonight. I'm sure it'll help, it looks very similar to what your sweet Goob had going on!

Thank you everyone SO much!

PS. Goob totally has a face like my boy, Django! I wanna kiss those lips, even with the poor allergic reaction! TOO PRECIOUS :blush2:

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob
OMG, not saying I'm glad you've gone through this too but these pictures put my mind at ease SO much! Thank you! We live in the hills so there are plenty of spiders around all the time, so this very well could be it! I went to get benadryl last night at the store and you'll never guess... THEY WERE OUT! What! So I got some today once other stores opened up, so we are trying that for the first time tonight. I'm sure it'll help, it looks very similar to what your sweet Goob had going on!

PS. Goob totally has a face like my boy, Django! I wanna kiss those lips, even with the poor allergic reaction! TOO PRECIOUS :blush2:

Awww, thank you, he is very kissable...Our boys do look similar to each other! I really hope the benadryl works. Like everyone else suggested, if it persists, he will need to see a vet. Thank God, Goob's reaction went away in about 2 days. Let us know how he is doing and if the benadryl worked.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Just acne, try to keep it dry clean and dry it after eating/ drinking. Clean those food/water bowls. Listerine works great (The Original Gold)

Goob14

Jun 26, 2014
Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Goob

Any news on Winnie?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online