Bully having bad stool movements

usmcarty42

Sep 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dora
Lately my english bully can't control herself it seems. I come home and there is poop everywhere. Its not like her to do this.

The poop doesn't look good either. Its runny or barely consistent.

I'm not sure what to do at this point - she says outside a lot sun bathing - I assume she uses the bathroom when she is out there - but then I come home from running an errand or two and she has pooped in the house.

I cant tell she feels bad about it or knows she is wrong. I can't tell if this is behavioral or if something is wrong with her?

Does anyone have experience with this?

OP
U

usmcarty42

Sep 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dora
i think she might have something called colitis?

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
It sounds to me like she needs a visit with your veterinarian. She also shouldn't be outside "sun bathing" EBD's can not take much heat. Runny poop can be a symptom of many things. I would not fool around with this.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
i think she might have something called colitis?

My girl has colitis. There really is not much to do for it... has she ben diagnosed with it or are you suspecting it? There is a powder (perscription) I use which helps somewhat... Tylan, 1/8 sprinkled on her food helps settle the intenstine. Also try a little 100% pure pumpkin

OP
U

usmcarty42

Sep 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dora
we have an appointment today with a vet. I'm just not confident that the vet knows bullies very well. Not like our last vet in California. So I'm trying to make sure her hypothesis testing does not end up costing me thousands.

I suspect she has Colitis. The symptoms are very much the same - but who knows, its hard to diagnose without tests.

Her stools are a mess. I can tell they take her by surprise - she often trys to pass a stool but nothing is there, she just crouches over without any result. Then sometimes I'm astonished with how much she produces but its always runny covered in mucus.

Originally I thought perhaps I got a bad bag of treats. But I switched the treats and still no change.

@Mama: When did your bully get diagnosed with it? Dora's stool has always been good since we finally found the correct type of food for her. I'm hoping this is due to a parasite or bacterial infection.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
we have an appointment today with a vet. I'm just not confident that the vet knows bullies very well. Not like our last vet in California. So I'm trying to make sure her hypothesis testing does not end up costing me thousands.

I suspect she has Colitis. The symptoms are very much the same - but who knows, its hard to diagnose without tests.

Her stools are a mess. I can tell they take her by surprise - she often trys to pass a stool but nothing is there, she just crouches over without any result. Then sometimes I'm astonished with how much she produces but its always runny covered in mucus.

Originally I thought perhaps I got a bad bag of treats. But I switched the treats and still no change.

@Mama: When did your bully get diagnosed with it? Dora's stool has always been good since we finally found the correct type of food for her. I'm hoping this is due to a parasite or bacterial infection.

Banks was about 5 yrs old, but age has nothing to do with it. Banks was literally, pooing blood, and lots of it. [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] - her Vegas also has it.

Since you are saying this just started and the poo is mucusy --- be sure to ask for a giradia test, it is a not alwasy tested for.. and without the right antipiotics it will linger for months

OP
U

usmcarty42

Sep 5, 2012
Bulldog(s) Names
Dora
Dora came back from the vet. She doesn't have giradia - she was tested for parasites and nothing came back. The Dr did find that her right lymphnode was very swollen. We have sent it to the lab.

Dora is currently on Metronidaole as an antibiotic and Proviable to replenish her digestive bacteria.

Today her stool seemed normal, after she pooped she seemed to be really happy, running around the house.

Will keep you updated. Thanks for your help everyone and pray that my girl doesn't have a tumor.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dora came back from the vet. She doesn't have giradia - she was tested for parasites and nothing came back. The Dr did find that her right lymphnode was very swollen. We have sent it to the lab.

Dora is currently on Metronidaole as an antibiotic and Proviable to replenish her digestive bacteria.

Today her stool seemed normal, after she pooped she seemed to be really happy, running around the house.

Will keep you updated. Thanks for your help everyone and pray that my girl doesn't have a tumor.

Sending many prayers and positive thoughts all cones backs clean!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Dora, you've already been given good advice, and have been to the vet, so I don't have anything to add or suggest to you. Diarrhea can be caused by so many things, hopefully the tests will tell you something. I hope it's nothing serious, and Dora is okay. Please keep us posted. Sending you and Dora love, hugs and prayers that everything is okay.

Bruisers dad

Jul 15, 2014
Prescott AZ.
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruiser
I'm sorry to hear that. When our boy had runny stool we tried the 100% pumpkin and it worked wonders. Most importantly I would listen to what the vet says, I'm glad to hear that so far everything is coming back good. I hope the end result is the same, our thoughts are with you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names

any update yet?

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
What sort of food do you feed her? If she is getting something that upsets her stomach or that she is allergic to, it can most certainly cause those symptoms. Wheat and chicken can be troublesome for a lot of bullies.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.