Help Needed! Lump next to dogs penis

hulses5

Jun 30, 2014
Country
ukI
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
My daughter was stroking the dog on his belly when she said he looked like he had a sore, when I checked it was one of what I presume are nipple either side of his penis, it looks a little red around the Base of the nipple but there is a lump under the skin, the lump is hard, but isn't attached no roots etc, I can move and touch it, and the dog isn't bothered at all, he cleans his nether regions but no differently to any other dog, he isn't bothered by it at all, I am concerned it is something I should be concerned about. Any advice would be greatfully appreciated

OP
hulses5

hulses5

Jun 30, 2014
Country
ukI
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I have looked it up and I believe it's one of his bulbourethral glands, it appears to be swollen, a little red at the base

OP
hulses5

hulses5

Jun 30, 2014
Country
ukI
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
zyra9ure.jpg

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster gets those every once in a while. Like an irritated nipple. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets really inflamed.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Keep watch of it... Should be nothing, but look for any change and if there is have it checked by your vet.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
I have the same thing going on with Dozer. The skin seems to be recessed around his nipple and fills up dirt though Dozer skin is not red?

IMG_1773 (800x450).jpgIMG_1775 (800x450).jpg

OP
hulses5

hulses5

Jun 30, 2014
Country
ukI
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
It's not so much the nipple that's a concern it's the lump, it's about the size of a pea, I'll keep an eye on him, if the lump gets any bigger I'll take him to the vets. Thanks for all the advice, as I'm a 1st time bulldog owner, it's great to know that I can on here and get advice from experienced owners. :-)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
The dirt and reddish stuff is bacteria or yeast, clean it out good with a diluted vinegar and water. [MENTION=12263]hulses5[/MENTION] I am concerned about the swelling under it, there's an obvious lump there. It's probably a cyst if you can move it around but I think I'd have the vet check it out just in case it's a small abscess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
hulses5

hulses5

Jun 30, 2014
Country
ukI
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
I will do, thank you

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, this could be many things, it could be an irritated nipple as others have mentioned, it could be a cyst or sebaceous gland that is inflamed, it could be a swollen lymph node, or a enlarged bulbous gland. Only your vet can determine the cause for sure. Keep an eye on it, and if it doesn't seem to be healing, I would get it checked by your vet.

Enlarged Bulbus Glandis in a Canine

by Amy Jorgensen, Demand Media
Dog Care » Behavior » Enlarged Bulbus Glandis in a Canine

According to the Woodhaven Labradors breeding operation website, new owners of male dogs are commonly confused if not concerned when they notice two swollen lumps at the base of the penile shaft. The good news is this swelling of the bulbus glandis is a normal part of healthy dog arousal and reproduction. However, male dogs can suffer from tumors and other diseases that affect the penile region -- such conditions have different symptoms and should prompt a visit to a veterinarian. Have a question? Get an answer from a Vet now!

An Excited Male Dog

Male dogs have several unique features about their reproductive anatomy, including the presence of the bulbus glandis at the base of the penis. When dogs become aroused, these two small glands swell and appear as lumps under the skin. This swelling is completely normal and goes away as the dog’s arousal fades. The bulbus glandis play an important role in the reproductive process.

The Birds, the Bees & the Bulbus Glandis

When a male dog becomes aroused, the penile bone begins to emerge from its sheath. This bone -- another unique feature of male canine anatomy -- allows the dog to penetrate the female’s vagina. The contact between the penile bone and the inside of the female dog’s vagina causes the male to gain a full erection. Once the penis is fully inserted, the swollen bulbus glandis prevent the penis from exiting her vagina. In this way, the bulbus glandis are responsible for the copulatory tie that connects the two dogs until the mating and ejaculation are complete. The process can take up to an hour, during which time the dogs cannot physically separate -- nor should they be separated by force; both the male's and female’s reproductive organs can be damaged as a result.
Penile Tumors in Male Canines

Although swelling of the bulbus glandis during arousal is normal, male dogs can suffer from penile tumors that are not healthy. One example is called TVT. This condition occurs after a male dog comes in contact with a TVT tumor on another dog. The contact can involve mating, licking or smelling. Dogs who have TVT or other penile tumors tend to lick the area excessively to ease the irritation. These tumors can interfere with urination, cause bleeding and break off into smaller pieces -- all symptoms that are not associated with swelling of the bulbus glandis. Male dogs who exhibit these symptoms need to be examined by a veterinarian.

Other Signs of Problems

Owners who are concerned about their male dog's reproductive health should watch for symptoms that something may be wrong. Excessive licking of the area is a good indicator of a problem, including the presence of tumors, inflammation of the urethra, and balanoposthitis -- an inflammation of the surface of the penis or prepuce. Discharge from the penis can also be a sign of problems, including prostate disease and balanoposthitis. Swelling on the prepuce, the skin that covers the dog's penis before an erectionm, can signify a wound or dermatitis. This type of swelling differs from the swelling of the bulbus glandis primarily by placement. Whereas this swelling occurs on the skin covering the penis, swelling of the bulbus glandis is seen just behind the base of the prepuce.

OP
hulses5

hulses5

Jun 30, 2014
Country
ukI
Bulldog(s) Names
Charlie
Just an update, I did as you advised [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I cleaned the area with diluted vinegar and water with a cue tip, the lump has gone. Thanks again for the invaluable advice, I really appreciate it x

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Just an update, I did as you advised [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION] I cleaned the area with diluted vinegar and water with a cue tip, the lump has gone. Thanks again for the invaluable advice, I really appreciate it x

Awesome, so glad!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Just an update, I did as you advised @bullmama I cleaned the area with diluted vinegar and water with a cue tip, the lump has gone. Thanks again for the invaluable advice, I really appreciate it x

SWEET!!

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus has one nipple like that. The dirt gets in there so I make sure to give it some attention to get it clean during bathtime. If it's pink, try wiping it down with some disinfectant, that normally helps.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.