The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Well.... It is time for another Harlea update in her saga with fighting MRSA. We had another followup with her vet yesterday and she looked fantastic for a change instead of all sticky and crusty down near her nether regions. We aren't out of the woods yet as she still has two spots about the size of a half dollar on the inside of thighs and one spot under her right shoulder. Woohoo For progress! Along the way we have confirmed that she also has a new food allergy that may or may not have contributed to this. We already knew that Harlea was sensitive to poultry and fish before all of this started, but in the last 10 day we have confirmed that she is allergic to peanuts of all things which is one of her favorites. We were able to determine this as her favorite Cloud Star peanut butter men treats have been hard to come by lately so she has been eating cheddar men instead. Well we were finally able to get a hold of the peanut butter men about a week and a half ago and the morning after giving her 2 of the treats she had a massive flare up and was all red and itchy on her belly again. Since then we haven't given her anymore and the flareup cleared up within 48 hours. So, had the MRSA not been in the picture we would have been able to identify this a whole lot sooner and maybe we would have been able to clear this up months ago, as we were giving her the peanut butter treats even back in the beginning and at the time weren't thinking that it could be causing a reaction that would continue to feed the infection.

Knowing now what I didn't know then there are things that I will do differently should Harlea ever have another bout with MRSA or even MRSP. My advice to anyone else battling this would be don't be afraid to change your pups diet. I fought long and hard not to and when thinking about it my stubbornness along the lines of she is eating a great food to begin with prolonged this fight when it probably could have been shortened. So, if it ever happens and the infection is not cleared up within the first round of antibiotic I will immediately cut out all treats and switch to either a hydrolyzed diet or modified home cooked/raw diet using a base mix like Honest Kitchen for several weeks to rule out items that could be feeding the infection.

So at least for another 2 weeks she will finish up her current round of antibiotic and get baths twice a week and we will see how it goes from there. I do need to plug a product though. I can't find a post but another member that was dealing with MSRP I believe recommended TrizChlor4 4% Chlorohexidine shampoo was helping them. I wish i could remember who they were as I want to say thank you for the recommendation as we picked some up and all I can say is wow it is amazing for Harlea. We normally use Duoxo shampoo, but Harlea would always fidget in the bath when we used it and with TrizChlor4 she just stands there and enjoys it and her skin and coat have never felt softer or looked brighter.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Good update. It is hard to give in and switch to a lesser food. I fought it for a ling time, but Brutus is happier and healthier for it. If it helps Harlea, just do it. I also have to be careful with treats. Brutus geta special yogurt and fruit treats only. If the kids give him frankies instead, instant cysts between the toes. Allergy dogs are very hard.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I'm so glad to hear that Harlea is getting better, but that's crazy about the peanut butter!!! I know a lot of doggie treats have pb in them… I'm going to have to start the food/treat trials w/Wally soon… he will be off the puppy foods and I swear it's like being a detective half the time. :detective:

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Now that's great news Todd, hopefully it won't be long till Harlea is completely out of the woods and a healthy happy girl you pray for.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Great update and so glad you have identified the treats as a potential problem!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
What a wealth of information for all to gain from.... Thanks for being such a great bully daddy!! So happy Harlea is doing much better

OP
Marine91

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you all. We are keeping out fingers crossed as so far today she has only scratched once which is a milestone in and of itself. :)

jimmyjj

agingermom's minion and cabana boy
Community Veteran
Sep 16, 2012
A Scottish guy living in England
Country
Scotland .
Bulldog(s) Names
diesel - paisley & nula
I haven't heard of dogs getting mrsa ( my ignorance )
great news about Harlea. Send you baby my love from the uk

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
[MENTION=8859]Marine91[/MENTION] Good news to hear that Harlea has improved so much-thanks to your hard work and dedication! It is so tricky when their are allergies involved. Seems so simple after the fact, doesn't it? Like "why didn't I think of that?" You hear of a lot of kids these day with peanut allergies. In fact it seems like humans and dogs these days have a lot more allergies. Too much sh#! additives perhaps....? Best to you all and Harlea-praying she will be !00% very soon!

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
So glad that Harlea is feeling better!!!! Poor baby, no more peanut butter!!!! Hopefully that will be the one last step and she will be itch free going forward!!!!

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Wow you've been through a lot Todd. I'm glad it's getting better. I'm also a big fan of the chlorohexadine shampoo...Hershey has a history of allergies and hes been on apoquel which is almost impossible to get in NY..I've been lucky his vet in De. Is still,prescribing it and ricks wife Dottie sends it to me...this can't go on forever though so I don't know what will,happen when we can't get it anymore. Allergies are so hard to identify.
So glad Harleas not itching!

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Well.... It is time for another Harlea update in her saga with fighting MRSA. We had another followup with her vet yesterday and she looked fantastic for a change instead of all sticky and crusty down near her nether regions. We aren't out of the woods yet as she still has two spots about the size of a half dollar on the inside of thighs and one spot under her right shoulder. Woohoo For progress! Along the way we have confirmed that she also has a new food allergy that may or may not have contributed to this. We already knew that Harlea was sensitive to poultry and fish before all of this started, but in the last 10 day we have confirmed that she is allergic to peanuts of all things which is one of her favorites. We were able to determine this as her favorite Cloud Star peanut butter men treats have been hard to come by lately so she has been eating cheddar men instead. Well we were finally able to get a hold of the peanut butter men about a week and a half ago and the morning after giving her 2 of the treats she had a massive flare up and was all red and itchy on her belly again. Since then we haven't given her anymore and the flareup cleared up within 48 hours. So, had the MRSA not been in the picture we would have been able to identify this a whole lot sooner and maybe we would have been able to clear this up months ago, as we were giving her the peanut butter treats even back in the beginning and at the time weren't thinking that it could be causing a reaction that would continue to feed the infection.

Knowing now what I didn't know then there are things that I will do differently should Harlea ever have another bout with MRSA or even MRSP. My advice to anyone else battling this would be don't be afraid to change your pups diet. I fought long and hard not to and when thinking about it my stubbornness along the lines of she is eating a great food to begin with prolonged this fight when it probably could have been shortened. So, if it ever happens and the infection is not cleared up within the first round of antibiotic I will immediately cut out all treats and switch to either a hydrolyzed diet or modified home cooked/raw diet using a base mix like Honest Kitchen for several weeks to rule out items that could be feeding the infection.

So at least for another 2 weeks she will finish up her current round of antibiotic and get baths twice a week and we will see how it goes from there. I do need to plug a product though. I can't find a post but another member that was dealing with MSRP I believe recommended TrizChlor4 4% Chlorohexidine shampoo was helping them. I wish i could remember who they were as I want to say thank you for the recommendation as we picked some up and all I can say is wow it is amazing for Harlea. We normally use Duoxo shampoo, but Harlea would always fidget in the bath when we used it and with TrizChlor4 she just stands there and enjoys it and her skin and coat have never felt softer or looked brighter.

Yay, I am so glad the shampoo is working for you. We are still using it as well 5x a week. The baths are so time consuming but well worth the effort. I had a recheck this week with our dermatologist and although Heidi has some suspicious new spots they are not bacterial!!! She still had a little bacteria under her tail and on the undersides of her paws but it was limited and he felt it probably wasn't the antibiotic resistant kind. Unfortunately my girl developed an autoimmune skin disease as we were fighting her MRSP infection. She's currently on immune suppressants so even though I think we are clear of the infection we have to be really careful as it could easily come back with her immune system being so compromised...thus the excessive bathing! Sounds like you all are on the right track to beating this infection too.

Something I recently began was feeding a little organic turmeric with a tiny bit of coconut oil. There are so many health benefits with the spice and it's supposed to boost their immune system. Who knows if it will do any good but I' trying it out. Being that MRSA/MRSP are opportunistic any dog with a compromised immune system can be affected. My other bully is healthy and hasn't had any issues the entire time we've been fighting this infection but I decided to give her turmeric as well. Here is a site I found that has some info about it if you want to give it a try.

http://ottawavalleydogwhisperer.blogspot.com/2012/11/turmeric-and-curcumin-good-for-your.html

Not sure if I mentioned it before but Colloidal Silver is a great topical to use. Sovereign Silver is a great brand to try if you are interested. I spray Heidi with it daily and I've even given her a half teaspoon 2x daily for 14 days at a time. It's a natural antibiotic and is used in many conventional medicines. Its what doctors used before the creation on modern antibiotics. I began using it about the time we took Heidi off the antibiotics (she was not clear of the infection at that time but the derm felt we could manage it with topicals at that point).I wish I had know about it in our early stages of fighting MRSP as it may have helped shorten the duration of antibiotic therapy.

Glad to hear Harlea is improving. Can't wait to hear the next update. :)

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I am so Glad that Sweet Harlea is doing so much better, Bless her, she has had a rough go of it, but Praying she will be over all of this very soon. LOL To You Harlea, I am thinking about you Sweetie.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.