What is this?

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
Hello guys.... I saw this on my baby and I want to ask if you know what this is before I take him to the vet... he has 2 bald spots on his back.
y7ahasy2.jpg

OP
amelyza

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
Hello guys! I just saw this on my baby's back and I want to know what it is before I take him to the vet ! Thanks
unyry9a7.jpg

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
It looks like he has small bald spots. I think these can be triggered by allergies. I don't have much experience with them but I am sure other members have.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Could be a number of things, likely a dermatitis or ringworm. Possibly mange but hopefully not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Is it itchy? Usually allergies or a skin infection is itchy. If it's not itchy, it might be demodex (puppy mange) and if you catch it early, it's not so hard to get rid of. Ruckus got a couple spots like that and it turned out to be puppy mange. Peroxide shampoo and Goodwinol helped clear it up and the fur grew back quicker than I thought it would. Definitely head to the vet for a skin scraping.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
could be many things, but I'm thinking staph infection. Let us know what the vet has to say

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
any updates on this skin infection?? Lola has a similar bald spot but it actually started out with some dry crusting and flaking of the top layer of skin, which was then red for a few days, and ended up looking exactly like this bald spot!

We've had bald spots before with food allergies. But several other spots are following suit on her belly. (I have pics of all stages). Emailed the vet but no response yet.

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
Did it start off much redder of a pinkish color?? I've been going thru this with mine, and vet says actually hot spots.. Have a spray and got a med that was free at local pharmacy..

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola's does start out flaky then red red underneath for a few days. Then just plain bald with a dark hue. All dry tho. I thought hot spots were moist

sent from my droid mini

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Lola's does start out flaky then red red underneath for a few days. Then just plain bald with a dark hue. All dry tho. I thought hot spots were moist

sent from my droid mini

Walter has spots like this, and right now we are dealing w/demodex mange. I would have a vet do a scrape to be sure...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] hey Tracey, but are Wally's spots itchy?? My vet always refuses to scrape the spots if Lola shows no signs of itchiness. says its more painful to do the scrapes, and I would KNOW if it was the mange because Lola would be rubbing up on walls to get relief.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
[MENTION=9157]ddnene[/MENTION] hey Tracey, but are Wally's spots itchy?? My vet always refuses to scrape the spots if Lola shows no signs of itchiness. says its more painful to do the scrapes, and I would KNOW if it was the mange because Lola would be rubbing up on walls to get relief.

Wally's original spots were just bald spots, and he never seemed bothered by them at all. Weeks later they turned red & now they sometimes bleed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.