Help Needed! Rash/Tail Pocket/Hives--Weird Behavior!!

forriverhendrix

Mar 25, 2014
California
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
FN: River, MN: Hendrix
Hi guys!

River is 6 months today actually and I've spent the better part of this evening trying to read through the threads here to see if anyone has experienced anything similar but here's what's going on...

get-attachment.aspx.jpg
This rash appeared, lower stomach/private area/back legs ONLY maybe a week ago. Which doesn't seem to bother her and we've been applying neosporin for a couple days. The only thing that's changed is she's all up to date on her puppy shots so we've taken her to some parks.

Saturday we took her on a puppy play date where she got pretty dirty so we gave her a bath. Then Sunday night we took her to a big block party and she was rolling around in the grass so we gave her another bath. Just noticed this evening her tail was all wet/sticky-ish and super red underneath at the tail pocket and smelly too so we've been wiping it out with duoxo pads and keeping it dry we're pretty sure this surfaced from not drying her enough after two baths two nights in a row :(

*******All day she's been RUNNING to a spot and quickly sitting down to bite at/lick the heck out of her back feet and kind of takes a second to rub her butt on the floor then she'll stop and do it again! And again and again and kind of whimpers here and there at us. Literally for hours. Runs, itches, stops, runs, itches, stops, whines. It's heartbreaking! She ate dinner fine and I got her to play with me a little bit but mainly she's just doing this! Some hives have appeared on her back (probably from being so stressed). Is this behavior from the tail pocket you think?? Because she was 100% herself with the whole initial rash....*******

She has a vet appointment on Wednesday night but I feel terrible letting her suffer the next two full days!! We gave her benadryl for the first time a few hours ago and plan to give more in the morning and tomorrow night and Wednesday morning if needed but I imagine she's miserable the way she's hustling around all night like she can't get comfortable even for one second!

Has anyone had any experience with this??

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Hmm… I would say a vet visit is in order. It could be an infected tail pocket, anal glands or allergies. I would continue w/the benadryl to keep her comfortable. Has she been pooping/peeing normally? She could be having an allergic reaction to the shampoo that you used on her… it's hard to tell.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like an allergic reaction to the grass and maybe from the bath, if any soap residue was left behind that could also cause her to itch. Poor baby sounds very uncomfortable. What kind of shampoo do you use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
I think that the tail pocket is bothering her and in trying to lick and scratch it she irritated her skin, which is probably sensitive to the grass. The reason I say this about the hives is because my Lola has allergies and every time I raked for loose hair she would get hives along the "raking tracks". Her dermatologist said that it was because her skin was already sensitive and the scratching irritated it into swelling. I was told not to brush her. She could also have a yeast infection in her tail pocket which has spread to the skin on her body. Either way, the vet will give you antibiotics. I just recently spoke to a bulldog rescue rep who said stridex pads (the silicic acid ones) are great to use on tail pockets to keep them clean as it kills bacteria and keeps the area dry. Good luck with River!

Samantha Orts

Jul 12, 2013
TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
June
I don't know anything about the belly rash but the tail pocket thing happened just over a week ago. July 4th holiday we had June in a pool for the very first time. She liked to sit on the top step or on the waterfall going into the pool. My mistake for not drying her out really well in her tail pocket. We noticed on Sunday evening her tail pocket was red and sticky/wet. We felt so bad! We wiped it out with witch hazel a couple times a day for the first few days and now just once a day and it's almost all cleared up. Poor baby:(

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
Ruckus got a red rash on his belly when he was little if he rolled around in the grass too much. I always made sure to hav some unscented baby wipes handy and would wipe down his paws and tummy when he was done playing. This helped prevent future rashes. As for the tail, I find that the duoxo wipes work well for maintenance cleanings, but once his tail gets at all pink I reach for the malaket wipes, they just work better on getting the inflamation under control. She sounds like she has a lot going on, I hope a trip to the vet will help her get to feeling better soon!

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Agree .. it sounds and looks like grass allergy. Wipe her after each grassy outing with a warm wash cloth (no soap) and give her Benedryl as needed (1 mg per pound up to 3x a day). This is what Banks looks ike if I donot do this as she is allergic to everything that is green.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.