URGENT!!! My bulldog's eye is red

louiep

Jul 14, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
I recently got an english bulldog from a family who was no longer able to have him. The first cornercouple nights he cried and had heavy breathing. His left eye is now bloodshot, red, and a little swollen around the bottom eyelid and in the corners. He has no allergies but did have surgery on this eye a year or so ago. Should I be concerned, or could this be from the move and let him adjust?

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My vet always tells me that when it comes to a bulldogs eyes they aren't expendable.So I would take him to see if its scratched or infected.I've been through two eye surgeries with my boy so I'm a bit more cautious. Better to be safe.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
He might have bumped it on something, but if it's swollen and you said he's had surgery on it before, I'd get it checked out at the vet. It will be a good trip, since you just got him, so getting him checked out by your vet isn't a bad idea.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I agree with Christie and would take him to the vet to have it checked out. It could be an irritation from an eyelash, or he could have gotten something in his eye. He could also have a sty in his eye, or pink eye. Bulldogs can get pink eye. You mentioned that Louie had eye surgery a year ago, was it for Cherry Eye, or Entroprian? Sometimes they can get a dry eye after surgery, and will require eye drops. Only the vet can tell you for sure, but you don't want to leave it in case it's a scratch on the eye or cornea, as this could cause an infection to the eye, or if he has an infection, he would need antibiotic drops or cream for his eye, or it could do more damage to his eye. I hope it's nothing too serious and he's okay. Please keep us posted on what the vet says.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Hopefully Louie will be ok. Get him in for a checkup and let the vet take a look. I've had two with eye issues, it could be anything but it's best to have it checked.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
agree with others.... do not mess with the eye, an infection can quickly set in. The anting and crying can be from the move, ut he could also be in pain. Have the vet check him out.

please keep us posted

OP
L

louiep

Jul 14, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Louie
Thanks everyone. It turns out there is something he wasn't use to in the apartment. Now we're giving him eye rinse and an allergy medicine.

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
That's good that you worked out what was upsetting him and you have they eye problem sorted.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.