Tail Pockets..

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
My boy Olde English Abbott has a very tight pocket.It is irritated right now and inflamed.We clean it as best we can but when you go near his business he shuts it down like a time lock on a bank door.I put some Anti Monkey Butt Baby diaper rash cream on last night or attempted to.It has Calamine in it is this OK.And what tools of the trade can help with this ..

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Opie CHL

Dec 4, 2012
Patchogue, NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chumley and Hershey
Bullmama suggested witch hazel. I used it on chum..on a cotton ball.l and it seemed to relieve the itch and heal it quick

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Always make sure the tail pocket is dry after cleaning it. Moisture will only attract bacteria and yeast growth and before you know it, you will have an infection on your hands. The witch hazel is an astringent so it will dry the area naturally. I have used diluted chlorhexidine on a gauze pad to clean my bully's tail pockets. You can also get the same ingredients in Duoxo Pads at a bit higher price but they're very easy and convenient to have on hand.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Thank you for all the info..I think the hardest part is getting in there :)

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Frank has a tight tail pocket too and it is definitely difficult to get in there! He tends to shed hair there a lot and it will stay in his tail pocket, so even before cleaning, I will use my fingers to work around gently in his tail pocket and pull out excess shed hair. It will come out in clumps and that helps me get in there to clean with witch hazel or chlorhexidine.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bullmama suggested witch hazel. I used it on chum..on a cotton ball.l and it seemed to relieve the itch and heal it quick
[MENTION=11987]Christie H[/MENTION] --- witch hazel here too... slef dryin so you know it does not stay moist in there after cleaning

Canelospeeps

Mar 13, 2013
Bulldog(s) Names
Canelo
I use wipes, baby or makeup wipes, to clean Canelo's tail pocket. I like those because I can wrap them around my finger and I can go around the entire pocket. There is one side that is tight so I work around it slow but Canelo doesn't fight, in fact he looks forward to it. I think it gets itchy and it's relief. When it was very inflamed last year, I used gold bond by cleaning it really good, drying it good, then apply the gold bond. I did that because we were in the country not close to a store and that's what I had. By the time we got home the swelling and irritation had gone down a lot, so that night I cleaned with a wipe, made sure I removed all of the gold bond, and applied no medicine. As long as I clean it once a day, his tail pocket doesn't give us an issue. I haven't tried witch hazel but will add it to my list to pick some up.

Also when I started on his tail pocket, I give him a booty rub, on his back right where his tail starts, he loves it. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
Ellie has a tight one too. I first use a little baby oil on a pad it seems to clean all the hair and other matter that gets stuck in there.
It also softens up the area ...then i witch hazel to dry it out.works well for me...

karenben

Apr 18, 2011
uk
Bulldog(s) Names
Hilda
Get some gold bond mecicated powder off amazon,put some on a cotton pad and dust as far in as you can ,or try and squirt some on the tail pocket ,even if you have to hold him down his tail pocket must be cleaned regularly this is a must ,an infection in the tail pocket will get nasty very quickly

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online