When will the allergy reaction go away?

AnnieCat

Jul 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wallace
My puppy, Wallace, is about 5 months old, but has been with us for about 1.5 months. He was eating Nature's Variety Raw Boost, but started getting goopy eyes, redness on his face, and bumps in his armpits. My first thought- CHICKEN ALLERGY.

So, two days ago, I switched him to Solid Gold Wolf King, which has no grain, soy, corn, chicken, etc.

My question is- about how long before his redness and bumps go away? At what point should I be worried that something else is going on?

Thanks!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It usually can take 3 weeks for any food change. I hope it all works out, he's awfully young.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Phil is right, it's a process. Switch him over gradually to prevent bad stomach upset. In the meantime, have you tried antihistamines? They should help,considerably with the allergic reaction.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I also have a bully with allergies. My female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. We switched her food 4 times before we found a food that she tolerated and that didn't give her runny poops, pink face and chin, red warm ears, goopy eyes or paw licking. It's really just trial and error when it comes to finding a food that they tolerate. Every Bully is different, what works for one doesn't always work for another. Many bullies are sensitive or allergic to chicken, so it's best to choose a chicken and grain free dogfood. Have you been on the Home Page and read the Dog Food Ratings? It lists all the dog foods in Star ratings from 6 Star down to 1 Star, you want to choose a 4 Star food or better. When switching foods, it's best to do a slow transition over two weeks to avoid tummy troubles and diarrhea. It can take up to a month to see any benefits or improvements from a new food, as it takes this long for the old food to leave their systems. Also whenever you introduce a new food or new treat, or any new supplement or add on food like fruits or vegetables, you should add only one at a time, for at least a week, before adding a new one, this way if there is an allergic reaction you will know which food caused the reaction. You can give a Benadryl for the allergy symptoms, this usually gives relief from itchiness and hives. When my bully had hives, I gave her Benadryl and the hives went away in 2 days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Phil is right, it's a process. Switch him over gradually to prevent bad stomach upset. In the meantime, have you tried antihistamines? They should help,considerably with the allergic reaction.

Yep .... Benedryl will help with the itchys.... 1mg per pound up to 3x a day [MENTION=12339]AnnieCat[/MENTION]

OP
A

AnnieCat

Jul 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wallace
So, my Wallace is still a mess. He has been on Wolf Cub for a few months now, but is still losing his hair and has scaly itchy spots. His vet checked for demodex, but he was clear of that. She says it's allergies, but we can't tell to what. Any advice?

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Allergies with bullies is a lot of trial and error to figure out what they are and will be a long process to identify everything especially for food allergies as the testing for those isn't very good. On the flip side if it is environmental allergies the testing is a lot more accurate.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
So, my Wallace is still a mess. He has been on Wolf Cub for a few months now, but is still losing his hair and has scaly itchy spots. His vet checked for demodex, but he was clear of that. She says it's allergies, but we can't tell to what. Any advice?

So young to be going through this. Poor baby!

Has the vet prescribed anything yet? Shampoo, temeril P, antibiotics, antihistamine?

At this age the allergy is more likely to be food or contact allergies, so I would try a different food.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

I was trying to look this up on dog food advisor and the brand is ther but not the type you are stating ... either way it is made at the Diamond plant, which has had many recalls. Look into a new food and avoid grains and chicken as a start.... maybe Acana, Orijen, Earthborn, Taste of the Wild or Fromm... all make a grain free line

OP
A

AnnieCat

Jul 9, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Wallace
Has anyone tried ImmuneIQ at-home alllergy tests on their bully? There is a groupon for a half price test right now, and I am thinking of trying it. The vet said if his medications- Clavamox and an anti-allergy med (I forget which one)- didn't work, then we'd have to do blood tests.

Does anyone know if ImmuneIQ is worth a shot maybe?

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Has anyone tried ImmuneIQ at-home alllergy tests on their bully? There is a groupon for a half price test right now, and I am thinking of trying it. The vet said if his medications- Clavamox and an anti-allergy med (I forget which one)- didn't work, then we'd have to do blood tests.

Does anyone know if ImmuneIQ is worth a shot maybe?

I'll have to look this up and ask my vet about it as I never heard of it. We did the blood test on our guys

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.