Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Parvo paranoia. When is it safe for pup to go in our own back yard?

Default Parvo paranoia. When is it safe for pup to go in our own back yard?

We are getting our pup today, she will have her first shots. We have two other dogs (chihuahua and chihuahua/pom) that are both up to date on shots. We have lived in our house for a year. No other dogs have been on the property since we moved in. I'm not sure how long it was vacant before we moved in. Our neighbors on the other side of the fence have a jack russell, they don't seem like good pet owners so no idea if he is up to date on his shots. I know we will not let our pup on the ground anywhere out side of our home till she has had all her boosters.

Ok now for the question: do you think it is safe for her to play and potty in our own backyard? She won't be alone. I'm soooooooo scared of parvo and I can't find a good answer. Some people say it can live up to 20 years in the soil.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Provo paranoia. When is it safe for pup to go in our own back yard?

I would think your own yard, knowing your pups are up to date and no other dogs have been there -- you should be just fine.

I never heard of the 20 yr thing, but will be looking that one up
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Parvo paranoia. When is it safe for pup to go in our own back yard?

I agree it is safe.

The New Casper Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Todd
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Harlea
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

You should be fine. When we brought Harlea home at 8 weeks we introduced her to the back yard within hours of her being home. At the time we had one other dog and she was fine.
    Bulldogs are like potato chips. You just can't stop with one.

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin' groomzilla Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Ron
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Chance
    Likes (Received)

Recently brought this up with my vet a few months ago when we got Chance. Your yard is fine and can socialize with other dogs as long as they have had all their shots. Socialize as much as much as possible all type of people, wheel chairs , carts etc. Congrats and enjoy

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

I think she should be ok in your yard, and if your other dogs are going outside for potty breaks it would not matter anyway as parvo is everywhere and carried on paw pads and soles of shoes, but certainly keep her away from areas where the spores would be in large quantities like dog parks, sidewalks where many people walk their pets, and pet smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Drool Catcher Become a 4 Paw Member tyree213's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Gilbert,Scarlet, Tyra, & Kevin
    Likes (Received)

I always buy and keep some Parvaid on hand for pups and give it to my adults every now and then. It prevents & treats parvo. I am a little unorthodox when it comes to this topic, but I did expose my pup to other areas for short periods of time to build up immunity.

To answer your question though your backyard should be just fine for your pup to play in.

Founder of Bulldog Addicts Anonymous Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lynn
    Country
    U.S.A.
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maudee,Martha,Lizzie,Bro.Katie
    Likes (Received)

Your other dogs are fine-and if you have a yard that is fenced-and no strange dogs coming into it-your pup should be fine in your own yard. No "community" areas until all
    shots are completed. I worked for a veterinarian years ago-when Parvo was rampant in this area. We had many dogs come in with parvo-who had NOT had any shots.
    My dogs had all their shots-but I still worried myself to death that I would bring it home. My horse trailer was parked beside the house. When I got home, I had a change of clothes in the trailer-I would strip-spray myself with bleach-and put fresh clothes on. Wash the bottoms of my shoes w/bleach. Talk about being obsessed!!! Now THAT is obsessed!!
    "
    “It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough,all the components of my heart will be dog,and I will become as generous and loving as they are"

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Manydogs View Post
    Your other dogs are fine-and if you have a yard that is fenced-and no strange dogs coming into it-your pup should be fine in your own yard. No "community" areas until all
    shots are completed. I worked for a veterinarian years ago-when Parvo was rampant in this area. We had many dogs come in with parvo-who had NOT had any shots.
    My dogs had all their shots-but I still worried myself to death that I would bring it home. My horse trailer was parked beside the house. When I got home, I had a change of clothes in the trailer-I would strip-spray myself with bleach-and put fresh clothes on. Wash the bottoms of my shoes w/bleach. Talk about being obsessed!!! Now THAT is obsessed!!
    Glad to know I'm not the only one! I do the same thing! Full wipe down of my bully and I strip all clothing and wipe down my shoes with Clorox wipes....

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Tracey
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Willow (2015) Walter (2014) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by bullmama View Post
    I think she should be ok in your yard, and if your other dogs are going outside for potty breaks it would not matter anyway as parvo is everywhere and carried on paw pads and soles of shoes, but certainly keep her away from areas where the spores would be in large quantities like dog parks, sidewalks where many people walk their pets, and pet smart.

"What we once enjoyed and deeply loved, we can never lose, for all that we love deeply becomes a part of us." Helen Keller
    RIP Wellie, Bella, Winston & Roxie

Update: we have been letting her in the back yard. She is doing great and goes potty right away. She likes to jump in the tall grass. Thank you all for the good info.

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Thats great!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads