Parvo paranoia. When is it safe for pup to go in our own back yard?

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
We are getting our pup today, she will have her first shots. We have two other dogs (chihuahua and chihuahua/pom) that are both up to date on shots. We have lived in our house for a year. No other dogs have been on the property since we moved in. I'm not sure how long it was vacant before we moved in. Our neighbors on the other side of the fence have a jack russell, they don't seem like good pet owners so no idea if he is up to date on his shots. I know we will not let our pup on the ground anywhere out side of our home till she has had all her boosters.

Ok now for the question: do you think it is safe for her to play and potty in our own backyard? She won't be alone. I'm soooooooo scared of parvo and I can't find a good answer. Some people say it can live up to 20 years in the soil.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Provo paranoia. When is it safe for pup to go in our own back yard?

I would think your own yard, knowing your pups are up to date and no other dogs have been there -- you should be just fine.

I never heard of the 20 yr thing, but will be looking that one up

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
You should be fine. When we brought Harlea home at 8 weeks we introduced her to the back yard within hours of her being home. At the time we had one other dog and she was fine.

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Recently brought this up with my vet a few months ago when we got Chance. Your yard is fine and can socialize with other dogs as long as they have had all their shots. Socialize as much as much as possible all type of people, wheel chairs , carts etc. Congrats and enjoy

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I think she should be ok in your yard, and if your other dogs are going outside for potty breaks it would not matter anyway as parvo is everywhere and carried on paw pads and soles of shoes, but certainly keep her away from areas where the spores would be in large quantities like dog parks, sidewalks where many people walk their pets, and pet smart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
I always buy and keep some Parvaid on hand for pups and give it to my adults every now and then. It prevents & treats parvo. I am a little unorthodox when it comes to this topic, but I did expose my pup to other areas for short periods of time to build up immunity.

To answer your question though your backyard should be just fine for your pup to play in.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Your other dogs are fine-and if you have a yard that is fenced-and no strange dogs coming into it-your pup should be fine in your own yard. No "community" areas until all
shots are completed. I worked for a veterinarian years ago-when Parvo was rampant in this area. We had many dogs come in with parvo-who had NOT had any shots.
My dogs had all their shots-but I still worried myself to death that I would bring it home. My horse trailer was parked beside the house. When I got home, I had a change of clothes in the trailer-I would strip-spray myself with bleach-and put fresh clothes on. Wash the bottoms of my shoes w/bleach. Talk about being obsessed!!! Now THAT is obsessed!!:hangover::facepalm2:

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Your other dogs are fine-and if you have a yard that is fenced-and no strange dogs coming into it-your pup should be fine in your own yard. No "community" areas until all
shots are completed. I worked for a veterinarian years ago-when Parvo was rampant in this area. We had many dogs come in with parvo-who had NOT had any shots.
My dogs had all their shots-but I still worried myself to death that I would bring it home. My horse trailer was parked beside the house. When I got home, I had a change of clothes in the trailer-I would strip-spray myself with bleach-and put fresh clothes on. Wash the bottoms of my shoes w/bleach. Talk about being obsessed!!! Now THAT is obsessed!!:hangover::facepalm2:

Glad to know I'm not the only one! I do the same thing! Full wipe down of my bully and I strip all clothing and wipe down my shoes with Clorox wipes.... :rofl:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I think she should be ok in your yard, and if your other dogs are going outside for potty breaks it would not matter anyway as parvo is everywhere and carried on paw pads and soles of shoes, but certainly keep her away from areas where the spores would be in large quantities like dog parks, sidewalks where many people walk their pets, and pet smart.

:goodpost:

OP
eriesisgod

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
Update: we have been letting her in the back yard. She is doing great and goes potty right away. She likes to jump in the tall grass. Thank you all for the good info.

eljeffe23

Apr 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronson
We are getting our pup today, she will have her first shots. We have two other dogs (chihuahua and chihuahua/pom) that are both up to date on shots. We have lived in our house for a year. No other dogs have been on the property since we moved in. I'm not sure how long it was vacant before we moved in. Our neighbors on the other side of the fence have a jack russell, they don't seem like good pet owners so no idea if he is up to date on his shots. I know we will not let our pup on the ground anywhere out side of our home till she has had all her boosters.

Ok now for the question: do you think it is safe for her to play and potty in our own backyard? She won't be alone. I'm soooooooo scared of parvo and I can't find a good answer. Some people say it can live up to 20 years in the soil.

Ill pass on some advise I got from a vet. Let the dog in controlled area ie grass around your house ect if you live in an area that requires vaccines. I live in LA and the vet said really only be concerned in high traffic areas, dog parks, trails ect. I tried to only let my guy go in 2-3 yards by my house, and he didn't catch anything.

OP
eriesisgod

eriesisgod

Jul 6, 2014
So about a week after her 3rd shot she should be safe to go on walks right?

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.