Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How common are eye boogers in bullies?

Kennel Cleaner Become a 4 Paw Member shamrock13's Avatar
    Real Name
    Sharren
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooch
    Likes (Received)

Default How common are eye boogers in bullies?

I'm curious to know, how many bully owners have a chronic issue with eye boogers. Hooch seems to have a chronic problem despite everything I have tried. He has been tested at vets to see if he produces enough tears (Which I believe he did) and was put on triple antibiotic eye drops and cyclosporin to rule out Dry eye. I have changed his diet to grain free over six months ago, give him benadryl when his eyes and face appear to be a little redder than usual, especially during pollen season. I am bathing him approximately every two weeks or so, sometimes weekly and using epsom salts on his feet to help dry up and prevent interdigital cysts. I call him my "Million Dollar Bulldog" because I am constantly using products to help with his bathing, grooming, and allergy problems. I sometimes put a few drops of natural tears in both eyes just to help me remove the mucus-like junk he gets in his eyes. Some days I think oh wow they look a lot better today only to have them look junky and gunky again a few days later. This wonderful site is always so helpful with your suggestions on how to take care of our fur children. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions thay anybody can make. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Norwegian Rose Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Real Name
    Monica
    Country
    Canada
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Bulldozer and Blossom
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: How common are eye boogers in bullies?

Hi Sharren, eye discharge is very common in EB's , my male Bulldozer has this problem too, but my female Blossom doesn't. She had Cherry eye surgery in both eyes, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Dozer didn't develop cherry eye, but he has the eye boogers. The flat faced breeds of dogs like EB's, Pugs, Boxers, have shallower eye sockets, because of their flatter faces, and this can cause yellowish/ greenish discharge from the eyes. It can be caused by dry eye, allergies, dust, pollen, smoke, irritants in the eye, or Entropian, where the eyelid rolls into the eye and the eyelashes can irritate the eye. I use a face cloth with just warm water to clean out the eye bloggers, or an unscented baby wipe. I don't have dry eye issues with my guys, but when Blossom had her cherry eye I used Refresh eye drops from the drugstore before her surgery so the eye gland wouldn't dry out, and then after her surgery I used a prescription antibiotic and moisturizing eye drop from the vet.
    LEARN A LESSON FROM YOUR DOG, NO MATTER WHAT LIFE BRINGS YOU, KICK SOME GRASS OVER THAT AND MOVE ON.

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog? I am an EBN Reporter
    Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Christine
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lambeau, Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014)
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

It is a constant battle with Banks.... I chalk it up to her allergies
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    There is a part of your heart not alive until a bulldog has entered your lif
    e.

Nitschke (2004-2011) and Banks (2005-2014) -- My angels
    Thank you for all the love, fun and teachings

Owner/Administrator Become a 4 Paw Member
    Real Name
    Lisa
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Molly has eye boogers, just as you describe some days it's better than others. Hers started around age 4 I think. I use Bausch and Lomb eye wash followed by sustaine eye drops. I tried cyclosporine for dry eye and there was no improvement in her tear production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Everyday is a party when you own a bulldog!
    CLICK HERE to Sponsor a rescue Bulldog!

Bulldog Walker Become a 4 Paw Member HTX Bully's Avatar
    Real Name
    Kevin
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Holly
    Likes (Received)

I think it's allergies as well. If your bully has been on the same kibble for six months, try another flavor from the same brand and see how Hooch reacts.

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman Become a 4 Paw Member
    Need help with the forums?  Contact me!
    Real Name
    Rosalie
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
    Likes (Received)

Brutus gets little ones but Frankie has them every morning and they are like ropes! Sorry so gross but I think it's normal.
    My smooshy face boy!

Real Name
    Sharren
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooch
    Likes (Received)

Thank you for your response Monica. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one going through this almost on a daily basis. I will get the unsecented baby wipes, that's a great idea!
    I did ask the vet about the eyelash problem, but he told me he didn't have it. I have been using the warm washcloth routine on both eyes, he seems to like it. He can be a challenge sometimes with the eye drops though. I look at him everyday after going through his daily grooming routines with the various products and tell him "you need to get a job" LOL. But, I love him with all my heart and will do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable and handsome. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Real Name
    Sharren
    Country
    United States
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Hooch
    Likes (Received)

Thank you all for your great responses, I will try another flavor of his grain free kibble and pick up the Bausch and Lomb eyewash and Systane eye drops. Thank again , you guys are the best! Shamrock13 and Hooch

Pooper scooper
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Trophies
    Likes (Received)

Buster gets them. I think they're from allergies too.

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Ever since Maximus had his Entropion surgery, he gets alot of eye boogers in the (L) eye. I only use unscented wipes and unscented adult wash cloths to clean around the eyes. I also use Genteal lubricating eye drops.

Rescue Volunteer Become a 4 Paw Member
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Lola & Foxie
    Likes (Received)

Lola has big eye boogies every morning, we get 'em after breakfast then we wipe her mouth. Little bit of watery eyes in the evening, but that's about it.

Pet Sitter
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by shamrock13 View Post
    I'm curious to know, how many bully owners have a chronic issue with eye boogers. Hooch seems to have a chronic problem despite everything I have tried. He has been tested at vets to see if he produces enough tears (Which I believe he did) and was put on triple antibiotic eye drops and cyclosporin to rule out Dry eye. I have changed his diet to grain free over six months ago, give him benadryl when his eyes and face appear to be a little redder than usual, especially during pollen season. I am bathing him approximately every two weeks or so, sometimes weekly and using epsom salts on his feet to help dry up and prevent interdigital cysts. I call him my "Million Dollar Bulldog" because I am constantly using products to help with his bathing, grooming, and allergy problems. I sometimes put a few drops of natural tears in both eyes just to help me remove the mucus-like junk he gets in his eyes. Some days I think oh wow they look a lot better today only to have them look junky and gunky again a few days later. This wonderful site is always so helpful with your suggestions on how to take care of our fur children. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions thay anybody can make. Shamrock13 and Hooch
    Please ask your vet about Claritin dosage for your baby. Benedryl never seemed to do much, and now our guy gets 1 Claritin a day and NO EYE boogers. The difference is insane. Please try if you can.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads