How common are eye boogers in bullies?

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
I'm curious to know, how many bully owners have a chronic issue with eye boogers. Hooch seems to have a chronic problem despite everything I have tried. He has been tested at vets to see if he produces enough tears (Which I believe he did) and was put on triple antibiotic eye drops and cyclosporin to rule out Dry eye. I have changed his diet to grain free over six months ago, give him benadryl when his eyes and face appear to be a little redder than usual, especially during pollen season. I am bathing him approximately every two weeks or so, sometimes weekly and using epsom salts on his feet to help dry up and prevent interdigital cysts. I call him my "Million Dollar Bulldog" because I am constantly using products to help with his bathing, grooming, and allergy problems. I sometimes put a few drops of natural tears in both eyes just to help me remove the mucus-like junk he gets in his eyes. Some days I think oh wow they look a lot better today only to have them look junky and gunky again a few days later. This wonderful site is always so helpful with your suggestions on how to take care of our fur children. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions thay anybody can make. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Sharren, eye discharge is very common in EB's , my male Bulldozer has this problem too, but my female Blossom doesn't. She had Cherry eye surgery in both eyes, so I don't know if that makes a difference or not. Dozer didn't develop cherry eye, but he has the eye boogers. The flat faced breeds of dogs like EB's, Pugs, Boxers, have shallower eye sockets, because of their flatter faces, and this can cause yellowish/ greenish discharge from the eyes. It can be caused by dry eye, allergies, dust, pollen, smoke, irritants in the eye, or Entropian, where the eyelid rolls into the eye and the eyelashes can irritate the eye. I use a face cloth with just warm water to clean out the eye bloggers, or an unscented baby wipe. I don't have dry eye issues with my guys, but when Blossom had her cherry eye I used Refresh eye drops from the drugstore before her surgery so the eye gland wouldn't dry out, and then after her surgery I used a prescription antibiotic and moisturizing eye drop from the vet.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is a constant battle with Banks.... I chalk it up to her allergies

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Molly has eye boogers, just as you describe some days it's better than others. Hers started around age 4 I think. I use Bausch and Lomb eye wash followed by sustaine eye drops. I tried cyclosporine for dry eye and there was no improvement in her tear production.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HTX Bully

Aug 6, 2013
Houston, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Holly
I think it's allergies as well. If your bully has been on the same kibble for six months, try another flavor from the same brand and see how Hooch reacts.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus gets little ones but Frankie has them every morning and they are like ropes! Sorry so gross but I think it's normal.

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thank you for your response Monica. It's just nice to know I'm not the only one going through this almost on a daily basis. I will get the unsecented baby wipes, that's a great idea!
I did ask the vet about the eyelash problem, but he told me he didn't have it. I have been using the warm washcloth routine on both eyes, he seems to like it. He can be a challenge sometimes with the eye drops though. I look at him everyday after going through his daily grooming routines with the various products and tell him "you need to get a job" LOL. But, I love him with all my heart and will do whatever it takes to keep him comfortable and handsome. Shamrock13 and Hooch

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Thank you all for your great responses, I will try another flavor of his grain free kibble and pick up the Bausch and Lomb eyewash and Systane eye drops. Thank again , you guys are the best! Shamrock13 and Hooch

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster gets them. I think they're from allergies too.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Ever since Maximus had his Entropion surgery, he gets alot of eye boogers in the (L) eye. I only use unscented wipes and unscented adult wash cloths to clean around the eyes. I also use Genteal lubricating eye drops.

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
Lola has big eye boogies every morning, we get 'em after breakfast then we wipe her mouth. Little bit of watery eyes in the evening, but that's about it.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
I'm curious to know, how many bully owners have a chronic issue with eye boogers. Hooch seems to have a chronic problem despite everything I have tried. He has been tested at vets to see if he produces enough tears (Which I believe he did) and was put on triple antibiotic eye drops and cyclosporin to rule out Dry eye. I have changed his diet to grain free over six months ago, give him benadryl when his eyes and face appear to be a little redder than usual, especially during pollen season. I am bathing him approximately every two weeks or so, sometimes weekly and using epsom salts on his feet to help dry up and prevent interdigital cysts. I call him my "Million Dollar Bulldog" because I am constantly using products to help with his bathing, grooming, and allergy problems. I sometimes put a few drops of natural tears in both eyes just to help me remove the mucus-like junk he gets in his eyes. Some days I think oh wow they look a lot better today only to have them look junky and gunky again a few days later. This wonderful site is always so helpful with your suggestions on how to take care of our fur children. I'm open to any ideas or suggestions thay anybody can make. Shamrock13 and Hooch

Please ask your vet about Claritin dosage for your baby. Benedryl never seemed to do much, and now our guy gets 1 Claritin a day and NO EYE boogers. The difference is insane. Please try if you can.

OP
shamrock13

shamrock13

Sep 4, 2013
Absecon, New Jersey
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Hooch
Please ask your vet about Claritin dosage for your baby. Benedryl never seemed to do much, and now our guy gets 1 Claritin a day and NO EYE boogers. The difference is insane. Please try if you can.
Thanks Bulliemommi, I will call my vet and ask her about the claritin. I would much prefer giving him one pill a day versus three of the benadryl. Shamrock13 and Hooch

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Chance gets eye boogers just recently started at 4months old, fortunate for me he doesn't mind me cleaning them.

bulliemommi

Mar 3, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
waiting for us at the rainbow bridge
Thanks Bulliemommi, I will call my vet and ask her about the claritin. I would much prefer giving him one pill a day versus three of the benadryl. Shamrock13 and Hooch
Yes, and my vet said you need to dose Benedryl twice a day to work which I never did, 6 pills seemed too many and it made him either very sleepy or exciteable. I hope you can try the Claritin. I bought a generic one and it's been great! I used to come home to massive eye boogers and had a whole daily routine, now there's days he doesn't need them wiped at all!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.