Questions about tail care.

dozersmama

Supreme Overlord of Awesomeness
Community Veteran
Dec 31, 2010
Illinois
Bulldog(s) Names
???
Dozer has a screw tail. Ii is considered tight i guess i cant really lift it up . I have jsut kind of been flossing the area with a diaper wipe lol. Is there someting else I should be doing? I don't want to hurt him by trying to pull it up. How often should I clean it. Do I need to baby powder it too? Help I have no idea what im doing here:confused:

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
Jozi's is tight too. I clean it as best
I can with baby wipes. Then put
just a tiny bit of baby powder on
it as well. When I clean it out I make
sure that I get all the baby powder out.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
Sorry, I'm no help with this one. My girls don't have tails like that. But I'm sure you'll get plenty of good advise from other members here.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
thats the same thing we do with lex's screw tail.. and during bath times make sure you clean it really good and keep it dry

Mike Blaylock

Dec 27, 2010
Forest Park, Ohio, United States
Bulldog(s) Names
SgtMjr. Duketavius (Duke) Bruiser USMC Ret.
I clean Duke's corkscrew tail because it covers his poop shoot. So I wipe his butt with baby wipes after every yard muffin making session. The reason being is because if your bulldog's poopshoot is covered it can cause impacted anal glands and..........that's another exspensive vet bill.

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
Vegas had a tight inverted tail, which caused a deep tail pocket. We couldn't get up there to clean it, so we had it removed. Vegas is tail-less. So, we also clean his bottom after each bathroom break. Vegas likes to do this...

(if you are looking at his right paw and thinking "WTH?" This photo was taken after he had his first seizure. His hair had just started to grow back.

Last edited:

TessaAndSamson

May 7, 2010
Southern California
Bulldog(s) Names
Samson
Samson was not even a year old when we discovered the tail pocket. At the time my vet told me to clean it with fort dodge waterless shampoo sprayed on a gauze pad or something like that and then wipe under the tail. Followed up with wiping it with mal-a-ket wipes. Thats still how I do it and now almost 4 years later we have never had a problem with his tail pocket.

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
When Maximus starts to "scoot" around in circles, I know it's time to clean his tail pocket ---- and I use one finger and a baby wipe to get in under there and wipe out all the dead hair and stuff. It's a chore trying to get a finger under and around the tail pocket, but it has to be done. I don't use powder ---- LOL, I wouldn't begin to know how to get powder in there !

froggz

Mar 30, 2010
Iowa
Bulldog(s) Names
Sadie
I use a baby wipe as well, followed by a drying with a bit of toilet paper. Sadie has a very tight screw tail, it looks more like a hair bun than a tail.

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Im dying here LMAO... poop shoot, yard muffin..... OH help me Im in tears.... Ok sorry.. Oh and baby powder haha I think that would be shot back in a white cloud of pooooof in my face.. Any ways, I think Chief has a deep pocket cause sometimes he has some extra "yard muffin" just sitting there, I have to get out the wipes ( which I use Preperation H wipes) I know they work wonders for people so I thought they would make his "poop shoot" feel better... Ireland has o problems as of yet.. She has a little bit of a longer tail then Chief so I hope we dont have any problems...

Wnstnsddy

Sep 21, 2010
Va Beach, VA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
Winston has a scrunched up tail and luckily it sits about a centimeter or two up, so it's not so tight. None the less we wipe his butt every time he is done pooping and then every other night we clean in between the folds in his tail with a baby wipe.

Bella'sMom

Community Veteran
Jun 23, 2010
Eau Claire WI
Bulldog(s) Names
Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
Have any of you used Tucks? Bella has a tight tail and most of the time there is no trouble with it. However she when she has a break through of SIBO (runs and wet gas) it gets to the point her bum gets real red and she is miserable. I am afraid to wipe it with a baby wipe that will just add moisture. [MENTION=18]Pendragon[/MENTION] mentioned Prep H pads would that help the same. Also do you have to wipe out the moisture after wards? or powder?

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
@ Bella's Mom I dont use powder the witchhazel in the wipes drys it pretty quick...

Maximus

Community Veteran
Jun 6, 2010
Toms River, New Jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maximus
Maximus also has a tight tail, and it needs regular cleaning, or he will Scoot around the floor for hours on end. Even though it is tight, I can manage to get one finger up underneath it with a Baby wipe and clean out the dried out loose hairs under there which is causing the Itching. Tucks and Preparation-H wipes are for inflammation. I don't know whether they would really be good for red/raw sore areas. I don't use any Powder on Maximus.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.