Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Questions about tail care.

BullyWood Movie Star Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Abby 13 (RIP), Bella (6), Betsy( RIP), Frenchie: Oliver
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Questions about tail care.

Have any of you used Tucks? Bella has a tight tail and most of the time there is no trouble with it. However she when she has a break through of SIBO (runs and wet gas) it gets to the point her bum gets real red and she is miserable. I am afraid to wipe it with a baby wipe that will just add moisture. @Pendragon mentioned Prep H pads would that help the same. Also do you have to wipe out the moisture after wards? or powder?

Always with me

Dog Groomer Become a 4 Paw Member
    I Have Earned Community Veteran Status!
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
    Likes (Received)

@ Bella's Mom I dont use powder the witchhazel in the wipes drys it pretty quick...

Dog Park Attendant Become a 4 Paw Member Maximus's Avatar
    Real Name
    Patrick
    Country
    USA
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maximus
    Likes (Received)

Maximus also has a tight tail, and it needs regular cleaning, or he will Scoot around the floor for hours on end. Even though it is tight, I can manage to get one finger up underneath it with a Baby wipe and clean out the dried out loose hairs under there which is causing the Itching. Tucks and Preparation-H wipes are for inflammation. I don't know whether they would really be good for red/raw sore areas. I don't use any Powder on Maximus.

Doggie Boutique Owner Angelgirl's Avatar
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Annabella (Belly) and Bob Dylan
    Likes (Received)

Our breeder told us to use Lotrimin foot powder. It has a nice small nozzle on the end perfect for getting under a tail and the powder is a fungus killer so it's great for damp places. We were lucky with Belly her tail looks more like a little lightning bolt. Cassie before her had a terrible pocket tail that the vet always wanted to amputate.
    "A bulldog is like a potato chip, you can never have just one"

...This is why I already love the site, because so many people have already fought the issue...

What do you do if he REALLY doesn't want you to mess with the "poop shoot" (who can blame him really)? I mean, he snaps at me every time and since he is a pretty powerful dog, it's really tough to restrain him. I can't get in there very well to do what needs to be done, but I can't be having that either. Mine is a recent adoption of a 2 year old. What I was told the prev owner did was basically sit on him to keep him down. I'm just thinking that maybe there is a better way. I'm not trying to hijack the thread either, it just kinda fit!

Real Name
    Karen
    Country
    England
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
    Likes (Received)

Maggie has NO tail at all, but when I feel under her little stub I can probably get my fingers under a good 1.5 inches .. so I'm guessing that's what people mean by a tail pocket?? Yes???

Whatever it's called she's never had any problems. Our one and only concern is that there is a lot of loose hair back there .. the vet nurse tried to take maggies temp one day and grabbed her little tiny stub of a tail only to come back with a handful of hair. She then got all concerned and put it in her notes which I wasn't too happy about. At the time we knew no different and put it down to the fact that Maggie was stressed and didn't paticularly like something something stuck up her butt!!!! Now I know it's nothing because I can reach down and grab quite a lot of loose hair whenever.

So should I be pulling/clearing out that loose hair on a regular basis ... otherwise I do nothing because there are no problems at all!!

Bulldog(s) Names
    Samson
    Likes (Received)

samson also has a corkscrew tail....what exactly is a tail pocket?

Bulldog(s) Names
    Barney
    Likes (Received)

We clean Barney's tail pocket with baby wipes every couple of days. The vet I work for also recommended using alcohol wipes, since it has a drying effect, b/c that area is usually moist.

Very rarely do we have to actually wipe his bathroom hole, since the pocket (inverted corkscrew tail) is above it. I just shove my finger in there (covered by a baby wipe) and follow the spiral.

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Oh dear! I never heard of any of this. I use baby wipes after every poo..but I don't know if Jake has a pocket..I don't think his tail is a corkscrew..used to be kinda..but not now. Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow? Yup..pocket hunting..always learning. Thanks guys

I want to make this perfectly clear...I use the baby wipes on Jake!
    Last edited by JAKEISGREAT; 03-29-2011 at 12:54 AM.

Dog Park Attendant cadillactaste's Avatar
    Real Name
    Darlene
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Tank and Sarge
    Likes (Received)

Tank has a deep tail pocket...when he is heavy it becomes deeper. So it is important to keep the weight off a dog that has these as well. Depends...if we're giving a bath...I let him sit in the warm water...and coat that area with shampoo and use a washrag and get up in the tail pocket by wrapping it around my index finger. Then...we rinse it well...then of course...make sure to dry well I use cotton pads to absorb the moisture from a bath and cleaning.

Other times I dilute VET Solutions Surgical Scrub and Handwash. I use a bottle I got from the vet that has a nozzle top. But you can use say a picnic ketchup bottle just as easily. I warm it in the microwave...and then squirt it up under the tail toward the tail pocket. And use cotton pads to dry it. On hot days when his tail pocket can be more bothersome...or the other bulldog cleans it. I will use Pinxav and put a dab up under into his tail pocket. Then wipe the tail so I get any extra off. That stuff is AMAZING for diaper rash...And thus I use it on him.
    ~ Darlene: 20+ years of being owned by bulldogs. But I can still learn something new from forums and other people's experiences.

Bulldogs: Tank and Sarge

Australian Shepherd: Ahsoka ~ Sarge's sister from another mother...and father

The rest of my zoo:
    1 Pastel Ball Python - No Feet
    2 chinchillas - Nibbles and Fluffy
    2 Ornate Wood turtles- Franklin and Turkish

Real Name
    Becky
    Bulldog(s) Names
    Jake
    Likes (Received)

Very good info here..I appreciate it..and so does Jake!

Real Name
    Bruce
    Bulldog(s) Names
    HRH Princess Gracie, aka: HRH; Princess Amelia Pond, aka: Amy
    Likes (Received)

Becky, did you find Jake's tail pocket? LOL
    It should be somewhere around here:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads