Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was thinking of starting all my bulldogs on joint supplements after reading all the positive posts here. I am curious though, how old do they have to be? Has anyone given them to a young puppy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I used to supplement my larger breed pups with joint supplement , especially those prone to HD or the ones i was planning to to sport with (like high jump or weight pulling) ,
I think the best time to use them is when the dog is developing bone and cartilage.
But the pups were 5-6 months old when i started supplementing them

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I started giving Glucosamine to Usko When he was arond two, but Voitto's been getting it from the beginning.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I was actually curious about this as well… I give some to Roxie, but wasn't sure about Wally. Does it harm them to give it too soon?!! :unsure:

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
This is what I found and why I give Glucosamine also to Voitto from 8 weeks on.

"Glucosamine is a natural chemical in the fluid surrounding joints. It lubricates the joint so the parts don't against each other and cause severe pain from the breakdown of cartilage, tendons and ligaments. Glucosamine absorbs some of the shock on joints during your canine’s heavy-duty play sessions and even reduces inflammation. While glucosamine is a naturally occurring substance in your pup’s body, you can also give him some as an oral supplement to potentially prevent any issues later on in life. Typically supplemental glucosamine comes from crushed crab, lobster or shrimp shells, although some types are artificially made in a lab.

With the rapid growth that occurs during puppyhood—typically with large or giant breeds—your four-legged pal could run into joint problems well before his senior years. Giving him a daily dose of glucosamine can keep his joints as strong as possible as he grows into his larger frame. Glucosamine can also be helpful for puppies with hip dysplasia or who are predisposed to developing the disorder. Hip dysplasia is a disorder that leads to an improper development of the ball and socket joint in the hips."

schimpfy

The yabba dabba do donkey swattin' broom swingin'
Community Veteran
Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver British Columbia
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Chance
Thanks something we have been mulling over just were wondering when to start thought we would start once off puppy food.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
I started both of mine on glucosamine & condroitin when they were 4yrs old. My first bully would limp at times so that's why I started using it. She hasn't limped since and she's 11! My youngest bully is very active loves to jump and catch balls so I started her at 4yrs just as a precaution. I'm not sure about how young you can start them on it though.

I use people kind. It's much cheaper and you get a lot more for your $. Just check the dosing and added ingredients if youdecide to try the people kind.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Has anyone ever used NuJoint Plus?

YES I give it to Roxie… and at first she was doing fantastic!!! Only problem now is that she's 10, and she has a bone spur in her neck. That's the biggest reason we had to start the injections, but honestly I saw a HUGE difference w/her on the NuJoint!!! I HIGHLY recommend it!!!

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Would you give Nuvet Plus with Nuvet Joint? the Joint formulation lacks many of the ingreds that the Plus has.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Talked to my rep from NuVet and she says they can start on NuJoint anytime, especially bulldogs, the younger the better.

OP
bullmama

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Would you give Nuvet Plus with Nuvet Joint? the Joint formulation lacks many of the ingreds that the Plus has.

Yes they are meant to be used together, so you would give both.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online