General Question English Bulldogs and Heat

princebronco

Jun 29, 2014
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronco
Hi, I live in San Diego and it gets pretty hot from time to time. Sometimes I have to leave my dog outside while we are at work. What minimum temperature do I need to worry about leaving my dog outside for an extended time? Also, is there any gear I can buy that will keep him cool for his dog house or the yard? I already have a little doggy pool.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Nate, I wouldn't recommend leaving a bully outside alone for any length of time in the heat. Time outside should be kept to no more than 15 or 20 minutes, when its hot outside. Bullies do not tolerate the heat really well, and they can overheat and get heat stroke really quickly. Even temperatures in the 70 to 75 degree range can cause your bully to overheat, or when its humid. On hot days, they should only go out for quick potty breaks during the day, and then back inside to the AC. Walks should be done in the early mornings and in the evenings when it's cooler. Bronco would be safer and more comfortable in a crate inside the house, or placed in a confined area or room, while you are at work.

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree with Monica completely. Great advice given.

OP
P

princebronco

Jun 29, 2014
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronco
thanks for the reply Monica...any advice for potty training so he can hold up 8-10 hours? Probably should get a dog walker to break up the day right?

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Nate how old is Bronco? The general rule for training is a dog should be able to hold their bladder 1 hour for every month of age, so by the time they are 5 months old, they should be able to hold for about 6 hours. Many adult dogs will hold for 8 hours, but this may be too long for a newly trained puppy. We have our guys on a schedule of every 4 to 5 hours, but this is because there is usially always someone home during the day, so we can do it. We take them out at 6:00 am, 10:00 am, 2:00 pm, 6:00 pm, and then they get their last walk at 10:00 or 11:00 pm. If you are gone all day for 8 to 10 hours, then having a dog walker take him out in the afternoon would be a good idea, then that would break up his day, or have you looked into a doggie day care in your area? They have doggie indoor play grounds at Petmart, where you can drop them off during the day, and they will play inside and also get socialized with other dogs. Another option is if you live close enough to home, could you come home at lunch to let Bronco out for potty?

OP
P

princebronco

Jun 29, 2014
San Diego
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bronco
Bronco is almost 18 months old. He is pretty well potty trained but he has an occasional slip up. And its happened more often lately (at night). So I know he would not make it all day in his crate or anywhere in the house. Me and my wife work 30 minutes from home and are pretty much at work from 7am-5pm. Im gone all the time b/c Im in the military. She only works 2 days a week now so Im only concerned about those 2 days. No way for us to come home during work so I think we are going to get a dog walker. Bronco goes to Petsmart and doggy day care alot but he dont play well in that setting. He is always getting put in timeout or taken out of camp b/c he is aggressive and mounts other dogs (even though he is neutered). Overall he's just one tough puppy, we are very busy people with a newborn baby, and I am just looking for answers to make Bronco more peaceful. I definitely dont want to give him up and wont give him up...but he is extremely stubborn, and its mostly when I am gone. He probably acts up b/c I am gone but really nothing I can do about it....this is also why I asked about the heat. When nobody is home, I have to either leave him in the yard or clean up his crate when I get home.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Bronco is almost 18 months old. He is pretty well potty trained but he has an occasional slip up. And its happened more often lately (at night). So I know he would not make it all day in his crate or anywhere in the house. Me and my wife work 30 minutes from home and are pretty much at work from 7am-5pm. Im gone all the time b/c Im in the military. She only works 2 days a week now so Im only concerned about those 2 days. No way for us to come home during work so I think we are going to get a dog walker. Bronco goes to Petsmart and doggy day care alot but he dont play well in that setting. He is always getting put in timeout or taken out of camp b/c he is aggressive and mounts other dogs (even though he is neutered). Overall he's just one tough puppy, we are very busy people with a newborn baby, and I am just looking for answers to make Bronco more peaceful. I definitely dont want to give him up and wont give him up...but he is extremely stubborn, and its mostly when I am gone. He probably acts up b/c I am gone but really nothing I can do about it....this is also why I asked about the heat. When nobody is home, I have to either leave him in the yard or clean up his crate when I get home.

Due to the Bulldog sensitivity to heat, they can overheat in lower temps (high 60's lower 70's) do not chance leaving him outside... crate him and clean the mess. sucks, but the lesser of two evils.

As for him being stubborn or acting up, at 18 months, he is in the teenage years and pushing the limits.... use this training tool, both you and your wife with him -- keep is consistency and patience, he will get in line in no time.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...85-Nothing-in-Life-is-Free-training-technique

mnm77

Jul 4, 2014
Man... I live in Hawaii where the sun really beams and have been raising my old english bulldogs outside for about a week now. I built them a side-by-side dog house and have a tarp over for shade. They drink tons of water now, more than ever. Didn't realize they were so sensitive to heat! Is the tarp and a lot of water from a water dispenser not good enough? Now I'm worried...

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Man... I live in Hawaii where the sun really beams and have been raising my old english bulldogs outside for about a week now. I built them a side-by-side dog house and have a tarp over for shade. They drink tons of water now, more than ever. Didn't realize they were so sensitive to heat! Is the tarp and a lot of water from a water dispenser not good enough? Now I'm worried...
this is why i cant stress enough to read up on the breed before deciding on one - bulldogs are not outside dogs they can deteriorate very quickly i would suggest bringing your bully inside
Im not entirely sure how OEB's can cope living outside but i would think its pretty much same as EB's

mnm77

Jul 4, 2014
Thanks Pati for your concerns. I really should have researched on them before buying 2 to breed.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Thanks Pati for your concerns. I really should have researched on them before buying 2 to breed.
you are welcome x if i may add if you are planning to breed make sure you do all breed relevant health tests to make sure both dogs are healthy and will not pass anything to the offspring , make sure both are kc registered , within a standard and compatible , and will compliment each other (and by that i dont mean how pretty they look )
Also read up on the breed go to local shows speak to breeds to get advice , as i really don't recommend breeding 2 dogs that you don't know nothing about or that are not health tested
please keep us updated on how are you doing

mnm77

Jul 4, 2014
you are welcome x if i may add if you are planning to breed make sure you do all breed relevant health tests to make sure both dogs are healthy and will not pass anything to the offspring , make sure both are kc registered , within a standard and compatible , and will compliment each other (and by that i dont mean how pretty they look )
Also read up on the breed go to local shows speak to breeds to get advice , as i really don't recommend breeding 2 dogs that you don't know nothing about or that are not health tested
please keep us updated on how are you doing
Uh, too late for that, lol... my "grandkids" are already 5 weeks old now. Luckily they came out very beautiful!
azu2ydu3.jpg

This is when they were 1st born

itsalauren

Jul 1, 2014
We don't keep moose out side for extend periods above 85 in south Texas. Period. One day we came home and he was about over heated. Scariest thing ever. Threw him in a cool bath with some ice for him to cool down. I would suggest crate training or finding a sitter/friend to come let the dog out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gordosmom1212

Aug 11, 2013
Pflugerville, TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Magnum (EB), Delta (EB), Gracie (EB), Zoey (FB), Pebbles (FB), Prada (FB)
We don't keep moose out side for extend periods above 85 in south Texas. Period. One day we came home and he was about over heated. Scariest thing ever. Threw him in a cool bath with some ice for him to cool down. I would suggest crate training or finding a sitter/friend to come let the dog out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's a good suggestion. It is definitely hot here in Texas. Yesterday this couple brought their poor bully puppy to the 4th of July event he was panting so hard. I was worried he was going to overheat.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.