Why is my bulldogs neck all red?

homeriscool

Dec 26, 2013
United Kingdom, Wirral
Country
United Kingdom
Bulldog(s) Names
Hugo
Hi everyone, can anyone shed any light on why my bulldogs neck is red? It been this way since for months and we thought it maybe when he drinks his water all the water runs out the side of his mouth and down his neck. And also when hes drinking his loose skin also goes in his water bowl. But we always towel dry him after he drinks as it drips all through the house if we don't.

If this is the problem how do we combat it it? or is it a common problem?
2014-07-01 13.39.11.jpg

2014-07-01 13.38.59.jpg

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It's actually very common from the drinking, you are doing the right thing by drying him off when you can.

It's likely a yeast or bacterial surface infection, so you will want to treat it as either. I recommend washing the chin and neck with an antibacterial/ anti fungal shampoo. Pharmaseb is my favorite I get it from allvetsupply .com.

If you have any panalog ointment, malacetic, Douxo pads, chlorahexidine, anything like that will help kill any surface bacteria or fungus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Buster gets like that every spring time, Bullmama gave you great advice!

Izzy's Mom

Sep 25, 2012
Houston - TX
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Izzy
You could also swicth his water bowl for a hanging container that he could lick the water from. I have one on Izzy's crate and when she drinks the water at least she doesnt splash it all over her face.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It's actually very common from the drinking, you are doing the right thing by drying him off when you can.

It's likely a yeast or bacterial surface infection, so you will want to treat it as either. I recommend washing the chin and neck with an antibacterial/ anti fungal shampoo. Pharmaseb is my favorite I get it from allvetsupply .com.

If you have any panalog ointment, malacetic, Douxo pads, chlorahexidine, anything like that will help kill any surface bacteria or fungus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
\

^^^^^ agreed

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.