Help Needed! Blood blister on our bulldogs belly

ddemopoulos

Jul 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Dutch, our 11-year old male English Bulldog, has a dark blister-like bump on bottom of the belly. It is red and swollen around it. He does not seem to be bothered by it for the moment. The swelling is round close to 1'' in diameter. The actual blood bump is ellipsoid-like about 1/4'' by 1/2''. The bump has shown up the last 48 hours. He has no other similar bumps nor he had anything like that ever before. We would like to know what this may be and if we need to rush to his vet. We have attached photos.

Thank you

Lisa & Demetrios

Attachments

• Dutch.jpg
    Dutch.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 952
  • BloodBlister.jpg
    BloodBlister.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 8,124

g8erjackie

Dec 13, 2012
Washington, DC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Ruckus and Regina
I'd probably head for the vet -- maybe call first and explain the situation and see what they say, but you can never be too careful, especially with older bullies. I've never seen anything like this myself, but I'd hate for it to be a sting or bug bite that needs to be drained or just anything that could be helped from immediate treatment.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Dutch, our 11-year old male English Bulldog, has a dark blister-like bump on bottom of the belly. It is red and swollen around it. He does not seem to be bothered by it for the moment. The swelling is round close to 1'' in diameter. The actual blood bump is ellipsoid-like about 1/4'' by 1/2''. The bump has shown up the last 48 hours. He has no other similar bumps nor he had anything like that ever before. We would like to know what this may be and if we need to rush to his vet. We have attached photos.

Thank you

Lisa & Demetrios

I'd be at the vet to get it checked [MENTION=2]bullmama[/MENTION]

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Looking at the skin surrounding the blood blister I do see several clogged pores, like black heads, even in his nipples, and it looks like the hair has been worn down, is he licking or rubbing this area?

One of my bulldogs had something similar years ago, it was actually a piece of suture material from surgery that had made its way to the surface, it actually looked like she had another extra nipple where the incision was. It was not bloody looking like this however, but very similar in appearance. It popped that night on it's own and a piece of the suture material came out with it, and was already looking good in the morning. I am thinking there is something like an ingrown hair or some type of debris that has embedded into the skin causing the blistering as it is penetrating the surface of the skin. Best to get to a vet to get a diagnosis here.

OP
D

ddemopoulos

Jul 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Looking at the skin surrounding the blood blister I do see several clogged pores, like black heads, even in his nipples, and it looks like the hair has been worn down, is he licking or rubbing this area?

One of my bulldogs had something similar years ago, it was actually a piece of suture material from surgery that had made its way to the surface, it actually looked like she had another extra nipple where the incision was. It was not bloody looking like this however, but very similar in appearance. It popped that night on it's own and a piece of the suture material came out with it, and was already looking good in the morning. I am thinking there is something like an ingrown hair or some type of debris that has embedded into the skin causing the blistering as it is penetrating the surface of the skin. Best to get to a vet to get a diagnosis here.

Thank you for the input. He has had the black heads for years. He is not rubbing this area, nor he is able to reach there to lick. We are guessing that it may be some kind of an insect bite.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Thank you for the input. He has had the black heads for years. He is not rubbing this area, nor he is able to reach there to lick. We are guessing that it may be some kind of an insect bite.

Certainly could be, how does it look now? Is it getting any bigger?

OP
D

ddemopoulos

Jul 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Still the same as yesterday. Just monitoring for now. Will give him a bath later and see if we can tell more.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, this looks like a Hematoma, which is a blood blister, it can be caused by him scratching the area, or from scratching from a insect bite. It could also be caused from a tick. Don't pop this blister, as it could cause an infection or if it is a tick, your dog could potentially get Lyme Disease. I would take him to the vet to have it checked out.

OP
D

ddemopoulos

Jul 1, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dutch
Thank you all for your valuable feedback. While taking a shower the blister seemingly popped/cleared. We have been treating the area with peroxide and iodine. There is no evidence of any infection or other problem at the moment. The redness is slowly going away as well.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Thank you all for your valuable feedback. While taking a shower the blister seemingly popped/cleared. We have been treating the area with peroxide and iodine. There is no evidence of any infection or other problem at the moment. The redness is slowly going away as well.
I'm so glad it seemed to go away naturally. I'd just keep an eye on it and see how the healing goes. Older bulldogs have some odd issues sometimes!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
So glad it resolved itself, and seems to be gone. Just continue to watch the area, or if he gets any others, and keep the area clean.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

:whew: that is what we like to see happen == nothing! :D

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.