Help Needed! Bulldog puppy front leg problem.

TonySabo

Jun 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Hi, I'm new to the forum just seeking some advice. I'm currently working out of state and went to look at some English bull dog puppy's that a breeder had for sale. I fell in love with one puppy but he kinda walks with a limp in his front right leg. I took a video to show my fiancé and two young sons back home. The breeder said it was knuckling over and the vet said to switch his diet up. I thought knuckling over was only in larger breed dogs. Here's the video I took any help would be great. Thanks! I believe the pup is 11 weeks old.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NN-VA6gDqoc

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Awe, what a darling pup!

I have never seen this in any young pups so my guess would be not normal.... He could be double jointed? I have seen some older rescues with similar or more severe problems like this. I do know that in those cases particularly very expensive surgeries were needed and lots of rehab. Wish I had more answers for you.

Here is one rescue named Lucy Lu, much worse off but as you can see its similar. I'll contact her daddy and see what he thinks.
http://www.englishbulldognews.com/f...ate-from-adoptaBull-rescue!&highlight=Lucy-lu

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
T

TonySabo

Jun 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Ok thank you so much.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I got a reply from Lucy-Lu's dad:

What a beautiful pup. He reminds me very much of our Nacho that our Director/Volunteer Angela is now his proud Mom. This is typically caused by a disrupted growth plate issue and if the pup is 11 weeks old it might be easier to address it ASAP. The surgery is ugly and expensive- essential they cut the blocking bone to allow the secondary partner bone room to grow accordingly. The hope is that the cut bone will fuse back normally.

First choice would certainly be a consult with a realistic orthopedic surgeon to check out options. I looks like he/she might be operable. We have used University of Iowa for this class of surgery in the past. I am sure there are other teaching hospitals across the country with orthopedic practices. We can certainly ask our lead vet for his thoughts if your member finds a surgeon/clinic.

I am nervous for the pup, I will admit. If you do not decide to get the pup .....and the breeder realizes the severe problem the pup has, they may just put the pup to sleep, so tred what you say to them very carefully. :( If you don't get the pup, it would be ideal for this pup to go to an English Bulldog Rescue so he can get the surgeries he needs....

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have no experience with this, but good LORD that baby is precious!

OP
T

TonySabo

Jun 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
Thank you everyone. I'm on my lunch break at work and talked it over with my fiancé we have decided to get him. I tried to get the owner to come down on the price but they wouldn't budge. I will make him a vet visit this weekend and keep you informed. Thank you!

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you everyone. I'm on my lunch break at work and talked it over with my fiancé we have decided to get him. I tried to get the owner to come down on the price but they wouldn't budge. I will make him a vet visit this weekend and keep you informed. Thank you!

Yeah!!! Please do, we will be looking forward to his update. Have you picked a name for him yet?

OP
T

TonySabo

Jun 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
No not yet. I think we're going to let our 5 year old name home. I'm sure he will come up with a clever one. :scared:

I there a good dog food I can get him on until I get him to the vet? There claiming it's from too much protein in his diet. When I went to see him he was running And playing like the doesn't have a problem in the world. I did notice that the paw would drag the ground. Also I did feel a slight bump in his wrist??? I guess that's what you would call it...his other paw had one too but the right side was slightly bigger.

OP
T

TonySabo

Jun 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
image.jpg He's home

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Oh my God hes beautiful xx

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
Cute little guy. Its pretty common for breeders to say it's because of a high protein diet but that is just not the case at all. See what the vet says, I would def switch to a decent large breed puppy food and feed him smaller amounts spread out throughout the day. That will allow him to grow at a slower rate and get him a good joint supplement. Sometimes in more severe cases they require splints,wraps, brace etc. Try to keep him on surface he can grip like carpet.

NennaPen313

Mar 31, 2014
I actually had the same issue with mine, in both feet and it lasted a week or so then he gradually began to walk normal. I think he jumped off my daughters bed (he was 10 weeks at the time) because I caught him doing it and immediately after he'd walk this way as if it hurt to put pressure on the pads of his feet. He walks completely normal now. It was strange.

OP
T

TonySabo

Jun 26, 2014
Country
United states
Bulldog(s) Names
Duke
(Update)

Duke is doing well I took him to the vet and had his leg looked at but she said that it seemed Normal??? (Think I'm going to get a second opinion). But I did switch up his diet and put him on vitamin C. My fiancé called me today and noticed that he has a bunch of little bald spots on his back. I'm never ran into this before nor do I know anything about it. My next vetvisit is next Saturday. Not sure if I should wait till then or take him in tommorrow. I thought that it could be bug bites because I'm always letting him run around in the back yard with the kids. I try to keep him on the grass as much as possible with his leg. Thanks guys. image.jpgimage.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 219

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.