Panting and Pain

Daphnee

Apr 7, 2013
Cleveland, OH
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
daphnee
9 yo female, had LT TPLO surgery 5 yrs ago, had "40-50%" torn RT ACL, but I don't want to put her thru surgery.. Is it common for a dog to pant more than usual if they're in pain?? Thought I remember hearing that, not sure.. This morning she was lame on right foot, slightly better now. Holding off on giving aspirin, don't want to give rimadyl ( scared of side effects).. Thanks,

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Re: Painting and Pain

yes, panting is a sign of pain

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Yep, panting is a sign of pain. I would try the Rimadyl to see if that helps, just watch for any side affect and stop it if you see any. We have had a couple on it, and no problems.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I posted this last year, I hope it helps.

How to tell the signs your pet is in pain

I have been reading about people's stories of their dogs surgeries and injuries, as well as I've had surgeries, injuries, and accidental ingestion issues with my 2 guys, in the past year. I was looking up pain in animals, and this is some information I found. I found it quite helpful, and thought it may help some people, and thought I'd share the information with you.

It s sometimes hard to know if our animals are in pain, as humans we can open up our mouths and tell someone we are in pain, or to complain, but animals often don't show it or don't make a sound, to let us know they are in pain.

SIGNS YOUR ANIMAL MAY BE IN PAIN:

* unusually quiet, listless, restless, or unresponsive
* whining, whimpering, howling, or constantly meowing
* biting, either itself, or those around it
* constantly licking a part of their body
* demonstrating uncharacteristic behaviour, either overly aggressive, or submissive
* flattening the ears against the head
* having trouble sleeping or eating
* appearing either excessively needy, or seeking more affection than usual
* panting ( added by she's history)

Studies have shown that by helping your pet avoid pain, you may be able to speed up the recovery process, whether from surgery or injury, and because it reduces stress and increases a sense of well- being, pain management may help your pet live longer.

HOW YOU CAN HELP:

If you think your pet is in pain, contact your veterinarian immediately. They will do a complete examination to assess the cause of the pain, and determine the treatment needed.

1 Comment(s)
Last edited by Vikinggirl; 02-11-2013 at 11:38 PM.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.