Or baby boy has hives!

kianandkerrigan

Jun 29, 2014
They appeared overnight. They are not causing any breathing problems and nor to itchy. We have not changed anything around him lately so we are pretty sure it's not something new he's allergic to. That is what had us wondering what it could be and what we should do? Any options? :eek:

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
This is very common in bulldogs… where are the hives located? First of all you can give him benadryl 25mg tab, depending on his weight I usually give my bully one tab twice a day. My bullies have gotten hives from bee stings, food, environmental allergens… it really can be anything. If he has them on his face PLEASE watch him carefully, if they get worse (or his face is super swollen) he will need to see a vet ASAP!!! It could cause breathing issues and become an emergency. Have you used any new cleaners, laundry detergents, pet shampoos?!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm sorry your going through this with your baby. Our guys can be so sensitive sometimes. I have two EB's, and my female Blossom is allergic to chicken, salmon, corn and grains, my male Bulldozer doesn't have any allergies to dog food, or any known cause, but funny enough, he's had hives twice this year. I never did find the source or the cause of his hives, but I gave him Benadryl, and this relieved the itchiness and helped clear up the hives. They disappeared in a couple of days. Allergies can develop at any time, even when nothing seemingly has changed in their diet or environment. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken and grains. Which dog food are you currently feeding your baby? ( sorry I don't know his name)? Is your dog food a chicken based protein source, is it grain free? Has anything in your household or his environment or products changed?, like a new household cleaner, new laundry soap, new shampoo, or a new dog treat? Hives can also be caused by environmental allergies, especially at this time of year. Grass is a common allergy trigger to bullies. Another cause of hives is a bug bite, could he have been stung by a bee or a wasp, or bitten by ants? Also this is flea season, and many dogs are allergic to flea bites. You can give your baby a Benadryl for relief, ask your vet regarding the dosage he can have, it goes by weight. You can also give him a bath. I would keep an eye on him, and as long as his breathing is okay, and his face or eyes aren't swelling, then he should be okay. Swelling of face and eyes or laboured breathing are signs of a more serious allergic reaction, and can be an emergency situation, and he should be seen by a vet right away. If its just hives, they should disappear in a day or two, and the symptoms can be managed with Benadryl. I hope you can figure out the cause, and he feels better soon. You can also add plain unsweetened yogurt to his kibble everyday, it's a source of probiotics, which is great for digestion, and also boosts the immune system, which helps fight infections and allergies.

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
So sorry your baby has hives and hope you can figure out what triggered it.

Just wanted to add that you can safely give Benadryl at 1mg per pound. My girl is 39 lbs and can take two 25 mg Benadryl tablets in the am and two more in the pm if needed.

GuidoMarmo

May 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Gemini, Guido, Marmo
Hello, sorry to hear your baby has hives. They can be the result of just about anything including insect and spider bites. Children's Benadryl twice a day is what I use. The ratio is 1mg:1lb. I normally give my kids 1 and a half pills (they weigh in at 60lbs). Children's Benadryl is 25mg per pill. You should see a slight improvement after one day, but if the hives linger past 3 days with no improvement head to the vet as steroids may be needed to get them gone. Just keep an eye on your bully, just because their breathing isn't distressed right now that doesn't mean it won't happen. Benadryl does make them sleepy (mine at least) so increased nap time may happen.

OP
kianandkerrigan

kianandkerrigan

Jun 29, 2014
Thanks for all the replies, his name is Kian and we have not changed anything in the house in the past month. He had also been on science diet since we got him and had never had any issues with it so far. I did, however, notice a bite on him last night when I brought him in from his last trip to potty. When he woke this morning it was like they had spread everywhere. I checked his bed and around and didn't find any insects at all. I did give him benadryl and he is treating now with no problems but the hives are still there so I'm hoping they will clear up soon but if they hey around his face we will be making a trip to the er. Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
One of my bullies had a severe allergy to wasp sting. (and of course, she loves to chase them...) she got stung(on the face) and she got hives on every space available, her face swelled up like a balloon and her eyes swelled shut. I had to give her prednisone and two benedryl. It took two days for her to be back to normal. The hives were so bad, that some places where they were, the hair came out. I always have to keep prednisone on hand for her-just in case. If your Kian got a bite-and is allergic, make sure you always have benedryl handy. The reaction may not be as severe, but the first time mine had a "bite" from something-she just got hives, the wasp sting was the second time. I am worried each time she goes out, as there are many bugs here-very bad this year. The next sting could kill her. I hope your dog is not so sensitive-but keep an eye on things when he is outside! My other bullie got a spider bite-she needed meds, and ointment=but she had no other reaction.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Thanks for all the replies, his name is Kian and we have not changed anything in the house in the past month. He had also been on science diet since we got him and had never had any issues with it so far. I did, however, notice a bite on him last night when I brought him in from his last trip to potty. When he woke this morning it was like they had spread everywhere. I checked his bed and around and didn't find any insects at all. I did give him benadryl and he is treating now with no problems but the hives are still there so I'm hoping they will clear up soon but if they hey around his face we will be making a trip to the er. Thanks again for all the helpful advice!

How is Kian doing? Hivs can take several hours to go away... happened twice to our girl, but they were really bad, her face swelled to a point her eyes were closed -- ER was the only option, never did find out what it was, some bug bite/sting is all we could think of

OP
kianandkerrigan

kianandkerrigan

Jun 29, 2014
He is improving thank goodness. He had them all day yesterday, the benadryl helped a little but didn't completely resolve them. This morning they were allot less and no where near as bad add yesterday! Our vet said just to keep an eye on him. We went through everything and still have no idea what caused it. Must have been a bug bite he got while on his trip to potty. Thanks for everyone's help!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.