Sherman tail surgery update

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
For those of you who have been so kind with your positive thoughts and prayers, here is an update....we thought Shermam was recovering after acquiring E.coli during his surgery. He has now been diagnosed with MSRP (like a MRSA) infection. Resistant to almost every antibotic out there. The doc has put him on a couple that we hope will work and in 21 days he will have another culture. We are in a nasty fight with the Vet Hospital who insisted they did everything right, even though the medical records show otherwise. What a nightmare! So, I've learned a lot about tail amputation and all the things that can go wrong. We are hopeful that Sherman will fully recover, but grateful if you keep sending him your loving thoughts!

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
So sorry this is happening to Sherman and you. Positive healing thoughts coming your way...

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Just devastating to read your update, sending prayers for total recovery, asap!
If these new meds aren't doing so great (praying they do) I have some herbal
suggestions~GOD be for you & bless you & yours...especially beloved Sherman.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
OMG! I'm so sorry this is happening to you specially to Sherman. Keeping fingers crossed and that he reacts well to the medication and fully recovers and soon! Keeping you in thoughts and prayers! Sending lots of hugs and healing thoughts to you and Sherman. keep us updated.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
@Jonel OMG poor Sherman. I am so sorry that this has happened. I know everyone on EBN will be sending as many prayers as possible for his recovery. GOD bless you and Sherman-hearing this just makes me sick for you. @Marine91 has been dealing with MRSA, maybe he can suggest something.....? also [MENTION=12092]Kevikell[/MENTION]

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
[MENTION=9213]Jonel[/MENTION] , my bully has recently fought a MRSP infection as well but it was not brought on by a surgery. Unfortunately my girl is old and had a weakened immune system which allowed the bacteria to invade. MRSP can be a tough and long battle. Obviously they did a culture and antibiotic sensitivity test. Which antibiotic did they decide on and is the bacteria sensitive to it? When we had our diagnosis one dermatologist wanted to prescribe Vancomycin but it was considered to be an intermediate drug which meant the bacteria wasn't resistant nor sensitive to it. I changed dermatologists b/c my vet said it makes no sense to use an intermediate antibiotic as it "may" work for a little while but most likely will stop working. We tried Rifampin w/Zenequin but my girl did not do well on it and we had to take her off. She stayed on Zenequin for a couple of weeks and then we recultured and ended up with a completely different list of drugs that the bacteria was sensitive to. Soooo, if the antibiotic you are currently using doesn't work or stops working, you may need to reculture because the bacteria are always mutating and becoming resistant to the drugs you're using. It was very scary when my girl was on the big gun antibiotics because she was so sick. Her liver enzymes went up on Rifampin, she had a fever, she trembled constantly and she wasn't interested in anything. The last drug we used was Amikacin injections and I was a nervous wreck b/c we had to go in for weekly blood work and urinalyses since it had the potential of causing kidney failure. That finally did the trick and now we are managing her with medicated shampoos to ensure it doesn't return. My girl developed an autoimmune skin disease which could have been brought on by the infection so she also has to be on immune suppressants which made our fight so much harder. It's been a year since this all began for me but hopefully your fight won't take as long as ours. We haven't' completely beaten this but she is back to her old self and she's been off antibiotics since March!

I was wondering if the infection is contained to the surgical site only or is it internal? For external infections aggressive use of topicals is helpful. If it's an external infection let me know and I can suggest some topicals for you to try.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sorry to hear about your baby, and hope she gets well soon. We will keep her in our thoughts and prayers.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OMG I'm so sorry to hear about Sherman… that is horrible!!! I really hope that he feels better soon, and please keep us posted. I know what it's like dealing w/these vet hospitals, it's NEVER their fault. You can always put a review on the internet to let people know what happened...

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
Prayers and Love are coming your way for Sweet Sherman. God Bless Sherman keep him safe and a Speedy Recovery.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
sending many prayers, positive thoughts and hugs to you all..... get well soon Sherman!

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
I am so sad to hear about this, sending lots of positive thoughts to you. Please let us know how he is going.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
[MENTION=9213]Jonel[/MENTION], sorry about what Sherman is going thru! I knew he had some problems after the amputation but I had hoped things were improved and resolved by now. I hope the meds he's on will be the right ones to combat the infection.
[MENTION=12092]Kevikell[/MENTION], that is a long road you guys went thru w/your bully but it brings a lot of hope that this MRSP can be beaten. I'm glad she's doing so much better!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.