Question on luxating patella

Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
Hey guys so Buddha had his surgery today and the vet called me and said it went perfectly. Luxating patella) he also told us that his other leg seems to be going that rout .. The only issue is that we pretty much maxed out our care credit with the first surgery so in the meantime while we pay that credit card off I've been reading on knee brace and would like to get him that just for the mean time do u guys have any suggestions in which one to buy ? Or anything that would help his knee. The vet didn't seem to concern all he said was eventually he would need the surgery. Any suggestions would help . But good news he's surgery want well but won't see him till Monday the vet wants to keep an eye on him

OP
Brenda Janeth Solano
Sep 20, 2012
Los Angeles, California, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BUDDHA JANAVARA (AWAKEN THE BEAST)
I know u have experience with this kind of surgery, Buddhas leg is swollen the vet had told us to ice it when we picked him up from the vets office it been a couple of days and it really hasn't gone down I'm plAnning on taking him in this Monday they r closed weekends

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I know u have experience with this kind of surgery, Buddhas leg is swollen the vet had told us to ice it when we picked him up from the vets office it been a couple of days and it really hasn't gone down I'm plAnning on taking him in this Monday they r closed weekends

Keep icing it... 20 mins on and 20 off. Keep him as settled as you can. Is the area warm/hot?

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
Lola just had knee surgery for her patella 6 weeks ago. Vet said her other leg would need it as well eventually. He suggested hydro-therapy for rehab. She is going swimming at a dog rec center here. She does 25 minutes assisted swim (with physical therapist) every week. Supposedly, the low impact but intense exercise that swimming provides will strengthen not only the leg that was fixed but also the other leg to compensate for the patella issue as a preventative for future surgery. I am in the same boat as you. I can't really afford another $3000 surgery so I am really hoping the swimming will work. She started one week after the surgery and only 5 weeks post surgery she was back to 100%. If your pup is not lame in the other leg yet, it might be worth giving t a try. Here is Lola at her first session:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Lola just had knee surgery for her patella 6 weeks ago. Vet said her other leg would need it as well eventually. He suggested hydro-therapy for rehab. She is going swimming at a dog rec center here. She does 25 minutes assisted swim (with physical therapist) every week. Supposedly, the low impact but intense exercise that swimming provides will strengthen not only the leg that was fixed but also the other leg to compensate for the patella issue as a preventative for future surgery. I am in the same boat as you. I can't really afford another $3000 surgery so I am really hoping the swimming will work. She started one week after the surgery and only 5 weeks post surgery she was back to 100%. If your pup is not lame in the other leg yet, it might be worth giving t a try. Here is Lola at her first session:

GREAT INFO.... Thanks for sharing --- i always forget about water therapy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola

It took Lola a week for the swelling to start subsiding. Did the vet give you rymadil for the swelling and pain? Those first two weeks were pretty bad and we had to take her out in a stroller. Just make sure you don't let him move around on it, as that prolongs the healing and can hurt the internal work that they did. When he is all healed up, you will totally think it was worth it. Like a new dog!

agentbunny

Nov 2, 2013
San Francisco, CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Leo & Lola
GREAT INFO.... Thanks for sharing --- i always forget about water therapy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
I know right?? I never would have thought of it myself, but it makes a lot of sense, I guess. Regular exercise like running puts a lot of strain on joints and is awful for a dog with patella issues. Swimming is so low impact! I wish I had a pool or hot tub at home so I could do it more often with the dogs. The place I take her to uses a heated physical therapy swim spa, but my vet said a hot tub would work the same. They can just paddle in one spot as you hold onto their life vest.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.