Help Needed! Broken nail

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Hello all,

Winston has once again split one of his nails (3rd time). I was just saying his nails were getting long and we needed to trim them.

I happened to split long ways and to the right so this is very difficult to trim ourselves (we tried). We got part or it trimmed up and have been monitoring it for a few days with some success however the past two days it has started to bleed again. Not sure if he happened to catch it on something or the nail is growing and he is putting pressure on it.

So instead of going to the vet which cost roughly $225 last time which is outrageous, we cleaned it put some neosporin on and around it and then wrapped it up to prevent it from snagging.

The wrap has definitely helped and it looks good I'm concerned he is going to snag it when it gets longer.

I was thinking tonight if anyone has ever heard of using super glue to hold he two pieces of the nail together until it grows where I can cut it evenly?

Or any other suggestions?

Thank you!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm sorry you're going through this with Winston, I hope it heals soon, and no problems. I don't have any experience with broken nails with my guys, so don't know if super glue would work or not. The bets do charge a lot of money for many minor things, I was going to suggest that maybe the groomer could clip it or dremmel the nail and they would also have the powder or liquid, ( sorry I don't know what it's called that stops the bleeding). Many groomers and small pet shops will clip your dogs nails for $10 or $20, and I know here in Canada, very often Petsmart and PetValu have nail clipping days for $10, with the proceeds going to charity.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Oh, poor baby. I don't think the super glue is a bad idea at all. Maybe You could buy some baby socks and tape it with sports tape to keep it on and keep him from licking?????

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
If the glue does not get into/under the nail it should be fine.... Heck I used it for me a few times

aprilemari

Community Veteran
Sep 11, 2011
Boston, MA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Lola & Fox
I've used nail glue with one ply of tissue paper to hold my own nails together

sent from my droid mini

OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
I do have kwik stop on hand, that has been very helpful.

I have not thought of trying the groomer. I will call them Monday to see if they would take a look.

I have also purchased some millers forge nail clippers, the reviews on amazon were pretty good. Hopefully his will make a better cut and help prevent anymore splitting.

Im im still a little hesitant about using super glue because I'm assuming part of the quick is exposed because of the bleeding and I am not sure how the glue will have an effect on the quick.

I did find people used glue on their dogs broken nails via a google search. I even found on Cesar Milan's website to use it to kind of make it one piece again.

http://www.cesarsway.com/dog-care/first-aid/broken-toenail

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    230 KB · Views: 164
OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Whoops forgot to mention his last vet bill print out.

The vet needed to "sedate" him to trim the nail.

The medicines are for pain and an antibiotic.

They really know how to open up your wallet and take advantage of caring for your loved ones.

When we decide to get another bulldog I am going to consider getting dog insurance lol.

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
There are Medical grade CA ( super glue ) adhesive on the market as DR have used it in place of stitches or staples in the past.
I don't think I would use the super glue from your hardware store on your dogs split nail if there is a chance of it getting into the blood stream but that's just me.
Would be a good question for your vet about the glue.

OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
Here's a picture of his nail.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    246.4 KB · Views: 256
OP
Jungerland

Jungerland

Jul 31, 2011
I have some good news. I went to check his nail today after I got home from work and fell off somehow. It looks so much better. Didn't find any sign of blood anywhere so my problem is solved lol.

Thanks for for everyone's help and concern.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have some good news. I went to check his nail today after I got home from work and fell off somehow. It looks so much better. Didn't find any sign of blood anywhere so my problem is solved lol.

Thanks for for everyone's help and concern.

Glad he is doing better and the problem resolved itself

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
Brutus split on of his nails on Friday. Of course the day before I took him to get his nails clipped! anyway, I just kept it clean and left it alone otherwise. These things usually have a way of resolving themselves.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.