Hair coming out!!! PLEASE HELP!!!

larsav

Apr 26, 2010
:*( I was here awhile back about Abby's itchy skin and cysts on her paws. We changed her food and the vet said she was having some allergic reaction to "something". She was put on a steroid and antibiotic. She cleared up within a few days and was back to normal.
Now, her hair is coming out in patches and she is extremely itchy! The parts of her body that she can reach to scratch, she scratches to the point of bleeding. Her paws,however,are fine this time.
Also, her mood seems to be fine other than the CONSTANT scratching!
Any advice on this one? thanks again!!

Pendragon

Community Veteran
Jan 31, 2010
Apple Valley Ca
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Pendragon of Brymar(Chief for short) And Lady Ireland of Brymar
Without seeing pictures, my guess would be mange.. There are topics on here about it with shampoo you can treat it with.. Good luck and I hope you find out what it is...

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Sounds like either a bacterial skin infection, mites (mange) or horrible hot spots. No matter what it is, it really sounds like she needs a trip to the vet again, the soonest you can get her in :(

What food did you end up putting her on? Things you could think about is what may have caused the sudden outbreak..... any changes in her diet? Any new treats? Anything going on in the home that is not normal from the day to day routine that would cause stress? Any new toys?

Ann Farley Hamilton

Jul 21, 2010
Brookline, NH
Bulldog(s) Names
Hamilton's Irish Mack we call him Mack and Blossom
What food did you end putting her on, it still good be that. How long has she been of the steroids, if hasn't been long those could have been hiding that the food wasn't helping. I would try baths to help the itch, I use tea tree with aloe for Blossom from earthbath. Also she has to have a bath every 4-5 days if not she'll itch her self till she bleeds to.

OP
L

larsav

Apr 26, 2010
I just put a picture of her on my profile page...wasn't sure how to get it here on the thread...it's a really good pic of what I am talking about.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I will put the picture here for you [MENTION=539]larsav[/MENTION]

random.jpg

Honestly, judging from the picture, it looks like demodex mange, but I have never personally had a dog who has had it, but I have seen a fair share of bullys in photos now who have had it. I am sure you will get more responses as many members here have dealt with mange.

Please keep us posted!!!

sheshistory

Jul 11, 2010
Vermont
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Bentley, Linus, Truman
I agree - it looks just like mange to me. Take your bully to the vet, ask for a skin scrap and they will be able to tell you right away if it's mange and get your baby on the road to recovery. BOTH of my bullies had it!

OP
L

larsav

Apr 26, 2010
Do other dogs get this? Or is this another bully thing? :)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No it is common in all dog breeds.

Gertie's Mom

Community Veteran
Jul 17, 2010
SanTan Valley, Az.
Bulldog(s) Names
Gertie & Ida
I've never dealt with mange, but my daughter's Bully had it a few months ago and she went to the vet. It was easily treatable and she was fine in no time. Glad to hear you got her other issues straightened out.

kazzy220

Jul 31, 2010
Grafton, OHIO
Country
England
Bulldog(s) Names
Maggie (My Angel Baby 5/31/2012). Daddy (2 years). Linus (1year). Bella (4 years)
This pic of Abby is SO like a lot of other pics we've had posted here on EBN. All you have to do is type mange into the search part of this website at the top right hand-side. It will take you to a lot of posts and I can almost guarantee that you'll see a LOT of photos that look identical to yours. That should put your mind at rest that you are not alone in this!! By the way, what food did you switch to??

jortiz9758

Aug 22, 2010
Pembroke Pines Florida
Bulldog(s) Names
Bruno
That is exactly what Bruno had before. I treated him with ivermectin and the ones on his back went away..now he has smaller ones on his sides that will not..

bfletch13

Community Veteran
Dec 19, 2010
Arkansas
Bulldog(s) Names
Jozi, Wales
So they can just get mange?
I mean they don't have to come
into contact with another dog that
has it? I have had dogs when I was younger
that got mange. But I just thought they
got it from another dog that had it. They
were all outside dogs.

lexterwayne

Community Veteran
Aug 13, 2010
texas
Bulldog(s) Names
lex 19 months
i would take him to the vet mon and get them to do a skin scrap for mange and go from there. we have gone through this twice with lex so far, he has had dermitox mange which he never even itched, heck he never even knew what was going on lol.

everydog has mange (mites) just somes immune systems arent strong enough to fight them off, usually in puppies to a yr old is when they acceptable to it. if not treated it can be very bad and very expensive to treat (if you notice alot of dogs that have been turned into rescues have horrible cases of it.) mange is not contagious!!

our vet told us that its hereditary and that we should never breed lex because of that. one of lex's litter brother had mange as well and the breeders vet told her it was just hot spots and it would go away. she posted some pics up on fb, she wanted other peoples opinions on it cause it wasnt getting better it was getting worse! i told her it looked like mange and that they needed to do a scrap. well she said that the vet already ruled mange out by not even doing a skin scrap, the vet said it didnt look like it so she just ruled it out. REALLY?!? so after it got infected thats when they finally did the scrap and guess what?!? it was mange!
that vet also said that mange is only common in big litters, which lex came from a litter of 9 and this vet is supposed to be a bulldog vet, sorry i will not take lex to that place ever the vet wont even look at you when shes talking to you. UH NO!!!!

everyone has a different opinion on it!

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.