Help Needed! Help something is on his nose or wrong with his nose.

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
OK so I got my boy chunks last night (thinking of renaming him chubbs I like it better). Today I'm examining him and really seeing that he was really not taken care of like he should have been. For his weight and size I think he should have REALLY been taking care of. Any who, so one major thing I see is his nose his poor nose is dry and flaky. I'm posting pictures but you really can't see how bad it is. So on the very top of his nose his scales are so dry and hard they are sticking out like a porcupine. It's so bad does anybody know what this is and if a nose balm would help it at all or is it to late? Pls help.
regamata.jpg
byhu4era.jpg
u6a9umer.jpg

Thank you all in advance. Love you guys for caring so much for our bulldogs.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I have this issue w/my boxer Roxie. First of all I would take a washcloth run it in warm water, and rub on his nose gently to get the gunk off. They you can use coconut oil, olive oil, aquaphor, or snout soother and rub it on his nose. It will take some time, but his nose will heal up. I personally use the aquaphor because we use it in the house, but I'm sure that others have suggestions. I do Roxie's nose about once a week now...

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I have this issue w/my boxer Roxie. First of all I would take a washcloth run it in warm water, and rub on his nose gently to get the gunk off. They you can use coconut oil, olive oil, aquaphor, or snout soother and rub it on his nose. It will take some time, but his nose will heal up. I personally use the aquaphor because we use it in the house, but I'm sure that others have suggestions. I do Roxie's nose about once a week now...
OK Tracey and how is ur boxer doing now? I know it was probably not as bad as his but will he ever have a good nose again? I did a little research and he will need care for nose and paws. Poor guy I don't know why it wasn't taken care of before. Seems like a simple fix to just lotion them up.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
OK Tracey and how is ur boxer doing now? I know it was probably not as bad as his but will he ever have a good nose again? I did a little research and he will need care for nose and paws. Poor guy I don't know why it wasn't taken care of before. Seems like a simple fix to just lotion them up.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

She's doing great… it didn't take long for her nose to heal up right away. People get bullies w/out doing the research, and they don't realize that they need daily care… SMH!!!

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm so glad to hear. Totally agree with you on this one. I tell everyone I meet that has a bulldog about this forum. It's simple things to do before to take care of ur dog. I said before with this breed being put in the spot light more people are going to think it's cool to have one. Not knowing all the time and care goes into them. Sad.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
She's doing great… it didn't take long for her nose to heal up right away. People get bullies w/out doing the research, and they don't realize that they need daily care… SMH!!!

I'm so glad to hear. Totally agree with you on this one. I tell everyone I meet that has a bulldog about this forum. It's simple things to do before to take care of ur dog. I said before with this breed being put in the spot light more people are going to think it's cool to have one. Not knowing all the time and care goes into them. Sad.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

Sent from S4 (Mia)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is very dry here in AZ which makes it very hard to maintain. Luckily his does not look that bad at all. You'll see results with the suggestions above very quickly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
It is very dry here in AZ which makes it very hard to maintain. Luckily his does not look that bad at all. You'll see results with the suggestions above very quickly!

It is really bad the are so dry, hard and so lifted off his nose I tried to get a pix so you can see for lifted and crusty it is but couldn't. Poor things paws are starting to get bad too. Can I use it on his pads too?

Sent from S4 (Mia)

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
It is really bad the are so dry, hard and so lifted off his nose I tried to get a pix so you can see for lifted and crusty it is but couldn't. Poor things paws are starting to get bad too. Can I use it on his pads too?

Sent from S4 (Mia)

Yes there is many products you can try. Aquaphor, snout soother, I think [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] uses bag balm? Probably don't want to use coconut oil on paw pads then he'll just want to lick it.

For the paw pads if it's hyper keratosis you can actually trim off the access with scissors, soak paws first to soften it, just be careful. Follow up with an additional paw soak and keep working in it and eventually it will go away. This usually builds up in lazy adults who don't get much time walking on cement or asphalt surfaces to help file it down.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)

Sent from S4 (Mia)

Aquaphor and Musher's Secret for paws... both will help tremendously!

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm going to look that up right now and see if it looks like it. His paws are not to bad but still could have been avoided. Thank you for the advice and will get on it right away I think I'm going to past pictures as well so if anyone else goes through this. I love this forum group. 💜 thank you again doing my research now on what you told me.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes there is many products you can try. Aquaphor, snout soother, I think [MENTION=2894]2BullyMama[/MENTION] uses bag balm? Probably don't want to use coconut oil on paw pads then he'll just want to lick it.

For the paw pads if it's hyper keratosis you can actually trim off the access with scissors, soak paws first to soften it, just be careful. Follow up with an additional paw soak and keep working in it and eventually it will go away. This usually builds up in lazy adults who don't get much time walking on cement or asphalt surfaces to help file it down.

I'm going to look that up right now and see if it looks like it. His paws are not to bad but still could have been avoided. Thank you for the advice and will get on it right away I think I'm going to past pictures as well so if anyone else goes through this. I love this forum group. 💜 thank you again doing my research now on what you told me.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

Sent from S4 (Mia)

OP
Mia Amor

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names

You were right that exactly what he has on his paws. All you guys are like mini vets love it. And there is no charge just help and love.

Sent from S4 (Mia)

IPickedADaisy

Crazy Bulldog Lady
Apr 11, 2013
CA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy Mae Hambone & Roscoe Pee Hambone (RIP)
Same exact thing was wrong with Roscoe when I got him. I put coconut oil on his nose and it looks so much better. Here's before & after pics (only 4 weeks after). Usually I rub it on with my fingers but sometimes I use a paper towel so I can lightly scrub off the rough parts. Plus I put it on his behind because it was horribly dry & cracked too.

Roscoe 4 weeks 2014-06-12.jpg

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.