Knee brace vs surgery

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
The vet thinks my Bella girl may have torn ACL or a dislocated knee. He put her on pain medication for 10 days with limited movement to see if she improves. If not he suggest seeing an orthopedic surgeon to discuss surgery. He also mentioned trying a knee brace. There's so many out there! Has anyone used the knee brace for this? If so what kind? Also anyone have experience with the surgery? I would rather try the brace first. I feel so bad for her :( She doesn't understand why she can't run and play.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have experienced the surgery twice.... what questions do you have?

i tagged the one person i know that has knowledge of the braces, she will hopefully have some insight on them

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
Ok, so Dolly has had this bit of a limp since the beginning of October. They were outside playing hard with a large ball in the yard. It doesn't bother her all the time, but I feel bad for her. I have been giving her 1500 mg. of Glucosamine Chondroitin everyday. the new vet says this is great. She also showed me the problem with Dolly's knee, and I could feel it, she has a torn ligament inside her knee, kind of like a meniscus. She said it could cost $3000 for surgery, but that she suggests a fitted knee brace. I have been doing my research, like I always do. And we will be getting her ordered up for a brace that will cost between $300 and $900. Luckily there is a place 30 minutes from here that makes them. Called my Pet Brace in Morgantown PA. also there is a different kind at muttkneebrace.com I was surprised at how much this goes on, since I've never seen a dog wearing one. Has anybody on here ever needed one?

this post above is a couple years old, here is what worked for us

It turns out we didn't go with the knee brace. We went with Equine Glocosamine , eight drops a day. I will pm you the site
this

OP
G

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Thank you Sherry! I'm ordering some tonight!

OP
G

girlbully

Apr 18, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella
Was the surgery a success? How long did it take for them to recover?

Sherry

Jan 15, 2011
Denver PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Jack , Dolly, Grizz, Peggy Sue, and Scrimps
No surgery necessary thanks to this awesome product
All five bully's on this supplement
Great results for over two years now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Was the surgery a success? How long did it take for them to recover?

Yes, he I'd really good. First time, the line snapped so we had to have it redone, the second surgery went great and the recovery was about 6 weeks back to normal, but still restricted on running and stairs

DrewAZ

Jun 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Benson
Benson has very similar diagnoses from vet 2 weeks ago. We want to go non surgery route if possible. I saw a brace and was amazed they made them also.

We would really like to try the Equine Glocosamine. Can you share your source?

Thanks! Drew

Arrgo

Jun 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha
Hi Sherry, I have a 3 1/2 yr old that suffers from same symptoms comes and goes over last 2 years. About a month ago she has been favoring her right back leg every day especially when she walks you can see here rear end swaying much more moving her hips more to compensate. I need to find a solution outside of surgery and you mentioned this Equine Glocosamine is it possible you could share with me the place so I could take a look. Im also considering getting a brace but not sure if that's the right channel to go down. Anyone who has some suggestions Im all ears just want her to feel better. Thank you much

DrewAZ

Jun 21, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Benson
I did not hear back from Sherry either. I found what I believe to be the product on Amazon. Just arrived today.

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Benson has very similar diagnoses from vet 2 weeks ago. We want to go non surgery route if possible. I saw a brace and was amazed they made them also.

We would really like to try the Equine Glocosamine. Can you share your source?

Thanks! Drew
[MENTION=1714]Sherry[/MENTION]

Arrgo

Jun 23, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Sasha
Thank you Sherry, crossing my fingers :pray: ... Btw how do you manage to walk all those guys at once? We have one and when she wants to go somewhere she digs in and pulls like a horse!

dienste

Mar 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Sherry,
Can you let me know the kind of Equine Glocosamine you use?
thanks
Erin

dienste

Mar 24, 2015
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Max
Arrgo,

Can you let me know what kind of Equine Glocosamine Sherry recommended?

Thanks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online