Hypo Plastic Trachea

AmandaH12

Jun 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Our 4 month old Bullie was diagnosed with Hypo Plastic Trachea. I am so worried. Especially since we lost our other English Bulldog last year. We thought that we had done everything right. We purchased Mac from an AKA approved breeder. But a couple of weeks ago we noticed that his breathing was funny...even for an English Bulldog. The vet said that he was fine. But I was so worried that I found a vet who specializes in EB. The vet recognized his breathing issue right away. Took an xray and said that his trachea was a little small...even for and EB. He has been on meds for two weeks. And the Dr. said that 90% of EB grow out of it with meds. But this morning he was wheezing really bad and was lethargic. It seemed to have subsided a bit in the afternoon. But now his allergies are acting up. Mac has a vet appointment on Thursday. Please pray for us..Im not sure if we can take another Bully loss so soon. Has anyone experienced this issue?

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
My prayers and good thoughts are going out to you and Mac. Do you think his allergies are exacerbating the breathing issue? He may benefit from allergy testing so you can avoid the triggers

Bulldogfan

Jun 11, 2014
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dallas
I'm sorry to hear about Mac. I will pray that he will outgrow this issue. Bulldogs are notorious for having allergies, so I would certainly have him checked. Also, bulldogs do best when kept indoors. Ours is inside all day with the exception of 15-20 minute intervals when we let him outside (assuming it's not too hot). Its not easy and we are lucky that he has an incredible bladder and he never goes potty in the house. When we leave, he stays in a very large bathroom that is lined with travertine and has an A/C duct above his head.

Even with our precautions, we had a scary incident that almost cost him his life (see my post about tracheostomy and quality of life). I believe it was allergy induced. His new "thing" is that he likes to crawl under our hedges. They day he had a breathing attack, I had to go get out from under the hedges. He was not hot as it was cool and shady, but within a few hours we were in urgent care.

I wish u and Mac the best and I will say a prayer.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I shall certainly keep Mac & y'all in my prayers
that his allergies clear up, his trachea widens
and he lives a long healthy life.

There is nothing GOD can't do for us whatever
our requests of HIM. May HE bless & favor you
and yours!

OP
AmandaH12

AmandaH12

Jun 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Thank you for your response. I'm so glad that your little guy is ok.

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you

OP
AmandaH12

AmandaH12

Jun 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Yes..we are definitely going to discuss allergy testing with the vet. Thank you

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Sending many prayers and hugs to you and Mac!

My boy had a small trachea too, but not like this. he had issues breathing at times due to his palate, but once he had the palate/nares and something else forget the name, done he was much better, but the trac being narrow did limit his activity

OP
AmandaH12

AmandaH12

Jun 16, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Thanks 2BullyMama

Mac had another really bad episode on yesterday. Probably the worse ever. He was so bad that he tried standing holding his head up to the ceiling to breathe. It was sooo bad. Took him to the vet and he was has developed pneumonia due to the hyper plastic trachea. They kept him and gave him fluids, breathing treatments and 2 injections (I think they were steroids). I was literally in tears in the office. The Dr, gave him stronger meds (Baytril and Theophylline). Today he is perfectly fine. Like nothing ever happened. I know that he is still not out of the woods until his trachea grows. Unfortunately, surgery is not an option until he is at least a year old. Please continue to pray for our little one.
Thanks

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online