Help Needed! TPLO Recovery

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
Rumble is about 3 1/2 weeks out from TPLO surgery to fix his ACL. He did really well to begin with but now is wanting to run and jump. We keep him in his kennel while we are gone and if he gets too crazy. Otherwise we try to have him in his playpen. We are taking him on a 1/2 block walk daily as per the vet's orders but do not know what to do to help keep him quiet. He has antlers and various nylabones in his play pen. We also let him chew on one kong. I am afraid to give him certain toys because I just want him to chew on them and not attack them and run. Any idea on what other toys or chews I can get to keep him occupied?

Also, we have not had his nails trimmed since surgery and we are nervous about doing it because we do not want to hurt his leg. Any idea on what we should do? Should we hold off on cutting them? Should we try and dremmel them ourselves like we normally do? He absolutely hates having it done and turns into a giant squirming squealing pig. Should we take him somewhere to have it done? I just don't want any damage to be done to his leg but I also know how bad his nails need trimmed. I know we are also cleared to give him a bath but the chance of injuring the leg makes me nervous.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Poor Rumble, I hope his surgery is a HUGE success!!!
As far as his nails, ask the vet if they can trim them while he's under - I had this done for Bocephus and it worked out perfectly.

Biogirl71

Nov 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank
Is there any way one of you can distract him while the other dremels the nails? Otherwise, maybe suggest doing the nails one paw at a time over the course of a couple of days so that he doesn't have the chance to thrash around. That is if they absolutely need to be done. Otherwise, maybe wait since his recovery is much more important.
Maybe a toy that has treats that are tough to get out or a toy that you can smear peanut butter in that is hard to get out and keeps him occupied. We got a toy called a pickle pocket for Frank and it is a giant pickle that is pretty much indestructible and has grooves where you could smear peanut butter or stick small treats in. Frank loves his and it keeps him occupied for a long time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
unless the nails are dangerously long, let them be till he goes to the vet for a check up and ask them to do the dremel --- he may be more accepting of them doing it and they will know how to handle him if he gets upset.

As for keeping him occupied.... have you tried frozen marrow bones?

OP
tiffykay06

tiffykay06

Dec 20, 2012
Oklahoma
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sir Rumble Pig Peterson AKA Rumble
unless the nails are dangerously long, let them be till he goes to the vet for a check up and ask them to do the dremel --- he may be more accepting of them doing it and they will know how to handle him if he gets upset.

As for keeping him occupied.... have you tried frozen marrow bones?

I have not tried frozen marrow bones. Are they really messy? I guess if they are I could just limit him to his kennel with it. We have cut his food back and are giving him green beans as a treat and filler and that is why I have tried to stay away from freezing a kong with treats even though I know it will keep him occupied for a long time.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I have not tried frozen marrow bones. Are they really messy? I guess if they are I could just limit him to his kennel with it. We have cut his food back and are giving him green beans as a treat and filler and that is why I have tried to stay away from freezing a kong with treats even though I know it will keep him occupied for a long time.

Yes, then can be messy but are really good for them... Try one one his kennel see how it goes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online