Need help with Alopecia!

Tinaf103

Jun 11, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Daisy
I am hoping that I can get some advice for my sweet Daisy's alopecia. Hopefully, I was able to attach the pictures of her sides below so you can see. We have been dealing with this for well over a year now and I am just so frustrated because it seems nothing we have done has made it better and it is only getting larger. With it now being over a year, I can't imagine that it is just seasonal alopecia. We have been to several vets and none seem to know what to do. One said it was hormonal and getting her fixed would help. So we did that because we wanted to anyway and that didn't help, we went to another one and that one said her thyroid was a little low and if we put her on thyroid medicine for 3 months that it would improve. It didn't and only got bigger and today we went to a vet and she pulled out a book to look up her breed and thought she was a French Bulldog and she finally said that there was nothing she could do. So I'm at my wit's end. I've read about melatonin and gave that to her at one point, but it didn't seem to help. So ANY advice anyone could provide I would greatly appreciate! (And also if anyone knows a good bulldog vet in the Huntsville, AL area that would be awesome too!)Thanks so much!
Alopecia 1.jpgalopecia 2.jpg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Poor baby. I am not much help with doggie alopecia but I do have a daughter that has it and one thing that has helped her condition is daily probiotics. Not sure if it will help your baby but someone with more knowledge than me should be along soon.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
I know how you feel, my boys have both had flank allopecia fatso is 5 and has had it for 3 years and his hair always grows back but Romeo is 3 and got it last year for the first time and his hair only grew back on one side..my vet said sometimes it doesn't grow back..but I have read that sometimes it grows back the next year..I have also started using melatonin after reading about it on here, also giving probiotics and fish oil..I never had hid thyroid checked though..am thinking maybe I should

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 499

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi Tina, I'm so sorry you're going through this with Daisy, I don't have any experience with Alopecia in dogs, but looked it up for you, and this is what I found. I hope it helps. There seems to be different causes and types of Alopecia, and depending on the causes, the treatments are different. Maybe your vet can do some tests to determine the cause.

Treatment and Prognosis of Alopecia in Dogs

Dog Hair Loss

Causes & Prevention

Symptoms and Signs

Treatment & Prognosis

Treatment Options

Alopecia is usually a sign of an underlying disorder, which must be diagnosed accurately in order for effective treatment to begin. If the hair loss is accompanied by scratching, pustules, hot spots or other lesions, it may be appropriate to apply topical medications to manage and hopefully alleviate the discomfort caused by these conditions even before the actual cause of the alopecia is determined. The veterinarian may prescribe ointments, creams, lotions, shampoos or other soothing treatments to calm any inflammation associated with alopecia. She also may recommend oral or topical antibiotics, antihistamines and/or anti-inflammatories as part of an initial treatment regimen.

Parasitic Alopecia

There are a number of topical medications to treat alopecia caused by external parasites. Flea and tick control, and shampoos or other products that kill mites, lice or fungi, are generally quite effective in resolving parasitic alopecia, although it can take weeks to months for the hair to grow back completely.

Alopecia Due to Endocrine Disorders or Hormonal Imbalance

Alopecia caused by endocrine or hormonal abnormalities is managed by treating the underlying disorders. For example, alopecia associated with hyperthyroidism or pituitary dwarfism can be treated with lifelong hormone replacement medication. Spaying and neutering can be successful treatments for hair loss caused by certain other hormonal imbalances, or even stress.

Allergic Alopecia

There are a number of treatment options for alopecia caused by immune-mediated reactions. These include medicated shampoos, topical and oral anti-inflammatories and antihistamines, and corticosteroid therapy. Of course, if a veterinarian can identify the cause of the reaction and remove the allergen from the dog’s environment, allergic alopecia should resolve in short order.

Other Treatments

Essential fatty-acids, Vitamin D, and oral melatonin supplementation have been found to be safe and variably effective in stimulating hair regrowth and improving overall coat condition in dogs.

Prognosis

The prognosis for recovery from alopecia is good in most cases, if the underlying cause of hair loss is identified and treated. If the skin has suffered extensive scarring, hair regrowth will be more limited.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alopecia

Other Names: Coat Funk, Black Skin Disease, Color Dilute Alopecia

Alopecia: An Overview

Alopecia is defined as a loss of hair, partial or complete, in areas where it normally grows. Shedding is a normal process in dogs where dead hair is lost so new growth can occur. Excessive shedding can occur when the seasons change or when a dog is stressed but this shedding does not normally result in bald patches. Alopecia can occur in any breed of dog and has numerous causes. Any abnormal hair loss noticed in your dog should be mentioned to your veterinarian.

Causes of Alopecia

There are numerous causes for alopecia. The loss of hair normally results from an underlying cause which can range from basic allergies to metabolic disorders to inherited diseases. The causes are divided into two main categories Hereditary and Acquired. Hereditary alopecia is genetic and is passed from parents to offspring. Some hereditary causes are black hair follicle dysplasia and color dilution alopecia. In certain breeds, such as the Chinese Crested, this alopecia trait has been selected for. Acquired alopecia is separated into two divisions: inflammatory and non-inflammatory. The most common causes of alopecia are normally found in the acquired inflammatory category. Some examples include food allergies, flea bite allergies, folliculitis, and sarcoptic mange. Acquired non-inflammatory types are also common and include acral lick dermatitis, calluses, and gestational hair loss. There are many other causes of alopecia each which can affect your dog; with your veterinarian's help a definitive cause will be able to be identified.

Symptoms of Alopecia

Hair loss is the clinical sign of alopecia. The hair loss can be very noticeable or very inconspicuous. It can be a single small patch, multiple small patches, symmetric (the same on both sides), or cover the entire body. There are many ways which alopecia can present and this can be helpful in determining the cause.

Diagnosing Alopecia

Due to the vast number of causes associated with alopecia a diagnosis may not be made quickly. A complete and careful history is needed to start the process. Things such as breed predisposition, the duration and progression of the alopecia, the presence or absence of itching, and the distribution of the hair loss are just a few of the questions which may be asked when the dog's history is being taken. A physical examination of the dog will also be necessary. A skin scraping may be taken to allow the veterinarian to see which part of the hair follicle is being affected as well as if there are any mites or bacteria present on the skin. In addition to the skin test, blood and urine tests may be done to rule out or confirm certain metabolic disorders.

Treating Alopecia

The treatment prescribed will depend on what is causing the alopecia. In most cases treating the underlying cause will stop hair loss and allow for new growth to occur. For cases where a diagnosis has not yet been made, medicated shampoos and vitamin supplements may be used to help facilitate new hair growth. Once the cause has been determined the prognosis that the dog?s hair will return is good, although it may take months for the coat to completely return to normal.

Care for dogs with Alopecia

When caring for dogs with alopecia it is important to remember that they do not have as much protection from the elements as dogs with full hair coats do. Your dog may need to wear a coat or sweater during cold months to keep them warm. During summer months you will also need to make sure your dog does not get sunburned. Owners should also be aware that when a dog has alopecia their skin is more susceptible to bacterial and fungal infections. If you notice your dogs condition getting worse contact your veterinarian right away.

The AKC Canine Health Foundation and Alopecia
Six grants to study alopecia have been funded by CHF. The grants look to increase the current knowledge about the causes of alopecia along with developing new treatments to promote hair growth.

Jonel

Jun 27, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Sherman
Sherman, age 22 months, has it too. First noticed it about 4months ago. It has already grown back on one side. The other side looks the same. I did start giving him melatonin pills. I am not sure if that is what is helping, but I am staying optimistic. He has had so many other issues that I decided not to stress over a couple a bald batches. Good Luck!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! I'm so sorry you are having issues w/Daisy… my bully Bella had seasonal alopecia, but as soon as the weather would change her hair would grow back. We never really did anything except give her benadryl… I'm going to tag some members that can help you. [MENTION=2]desertskybulldogs[/MENTION] do you know of members that we have in Alabama?!! I can NOT believe a vet told you that Daisy was a FRENCH BULLY… :facepalm2: It's VERY hard to find a good bully vet, I just found one after MONTHS of searching… hopefully we can get you on the right path.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Here is a couple of things I would try if I was in your position. I've never had this in my bulldogs but I think we almost did once.

I would first give daily probiotic, along with. 3 mg of melatonin. I would also get a good supplement like Nuvet or Hardypet. What food do you currently feed ?

Next I would gets slicker brush and a kong zoom groom. Gently use the slicker brush on her to help stimulate her pores and skin. Zoom groom once a week to remove any undercoat.

Try a good antibacterial antifungal shampoo like pharmaseb. Rinse well after bathing.

I have also heard that seasonal flank alopecia is from lack of sunlight, which is why it always seems to start early spring or late winter. So a nice little sun bath each day as part of the treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kevikell

Jun 9, 2014
Atlanta, Georgia
Country
us
Bulldog(s) Names
Bridgette, Maybull & Heidi ('03-15)
Hello there and welcome. I'm a newbie too! I do not have any info on alopecia BUT is there an animal dermatologist in your area that you can see rather than a regular vet? Their specialty is skin so if you can find one, they may be able to put fresh eyes on the situation. I don't have any recommendations in Alabama but if there are none in your area I'm sure you can find one near Auburn. If you want to make the drive to Atlanta, Dr. Griffies at the Animal Dermatology Clinic in Marietta is AMAZING! Wishing you luck as you try and figure this out.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Well our BeBe got it when she was almost 6 years old. Our vet told us we could give her melatonin and it may help, but we didn't give it to her. She has had it for almost two years, most of her hair has grown back but a little bit on one side still has not grown back. It doesn't bother her and our vet is not concerned about it. He even said the other day when she was there for her yearly exam, that it may never grow back. He said some will grow the hair back and some will not.

Eas98422

Jul 23, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Winston
My Winston has gotten some awful side effects from the Melatonin so I took him off of it. I'd rather give him thyroid medicine everyday than have him sleep walking around with no guarantees his hair will grow back. Quality of life is worth more to me for my baby boy.

RiiSi

Community Veteran
Sep 30, 2011
Sysmä
Country
Finland
Bulldog(s) Names
Taisto, Kylli, Salli, Angel-Usko and Angel-Voitto
I thought that it is hyperthyroidism that causes alopecia....so if she got medicine for hypothyroidism, no wonder it got worse....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.