Bulldogfan

Jun 11, 2014
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dallas
Hello all,

My wife and I are struggling with the decision to place a permanent tracheostomy or putdown our beloved bulldog "Dallas". The surgeon involved has explained and offered two options, either laryngeal tieback or permanent tracheostomy. He will first attempt the tieback, but if is not possible, he will then perform the trach.

He is 10 years old, but looks and acts like 3. He is in amazing shape to the point that even vets are shocked when they learn of his age. He is exclusively an indoor dog and we have no other dogs or children. Also, my wife works from home which is a huge advantage

We love this dog more than anything, but we don't want to be selfish and compromise his quality of life. He is full of life and has an amazing spirit that we fear will be broken with a tracheostomy. Also, we don't know how he will relearn how to sleep after 10 years of sleeping on his stomach and always resting his chin and neck on the edge of his bed.

I can't bear the thought of putting him down, but that goes the same for watching him suffer. So here are a few questions:

Does anyone have a bulldog that has a tracheostomy?
If so, how is their quality of life?
Would you do it again?
Can they ever be left alone?
Do they relearn how to sleep?
How prone to pneumonia and or infection are they?
What is the realistic life expectancy after a tracheostomy.

Thank you in advance,

Heartbroken

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    243.4 KB · Views: 707

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
I am sorry I am no help as i have never dealt with this. I will tag a few members that are much more knowledgeable than I am. If I may ask. What condition does your boy have that would require this radical procedure?

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Will keep y'all and Dallas in my heart and in my prayers. Such difficult
decisions to have to make :( I had to put my sweet Coco, a Rag Doll
cat of 16 yrs old, to sleep, end of Jan...I miss her so much. She too,
looked like and played, like a kitten. Ask yourselves...if it were me...
would I be alright, living with these difficulties OR...letting go & resting
in peace? Again, my sympathies & prayers are with y'all~GOD bless!

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Dallas is one handsome boy! I'm so sorry you and Dallas are going through this. That's one very tough decision to make. Whatever deciscion you and your wife make I'm sure it'll be best for Dallas. Hang in there. sending hugs and good thoughts your way.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this difficult time. I've had no experience with a bulldog that has had the procedure. Hopefully someone will come along soon and be able to offer advice.

OP
B

Bulldogfan

Jun 11, 2014
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dallas
I am sorry I am no help as i have never dealt with this. I will tag a few members that are much more knowledgeable than I am. If I may ask. What condition does your boy have that would require this radical procedure?

He has laryngeal collapse and his airway is only 4mm. Also, I misspoke regarding the second procedural option. I said laryngeal pullback, but the procedure is actually laryngeotomy. It is a rare procedure where the expand the airway/larynx.

Over the weekend, I went to take him for his daily walk and we barely made it passed my driveway (about 10 yards) before I noticed his breathing sounded off. I immediately turned around.

Once we were inside, he laid down, relaxed and went to sleep. I continued to monitor him and his breathing was controlled but still odd. It sounded like he had phlegm. He has always had issues with allergies, so I just assumed that was the cause.

The next day, I noticed as he breathed through his nose, there was a slight wheeze. This was on Sunday, so we had to go to an urgent care clinic. His oxygen levels were at 88%, so they placed him in a oxygen chamber. They initially thought it was related to a heart arrhythmia. They recommended leaving him over night and then sending him home with a 24hr heart monitor.

The following morning they called us and explained that he suddenly began to struggle to breath and they ultimately had to intubate him. He was evaluated and then diagnosed with the collapsed larynx. The next step was placing a temporary tracheostomy. That surgeon said the only option was a permanent tracheostomy.

Dallas had a similar incident when he was 2 years old (8 years ago) and we wanted to get him to the surgeon, Dr Tony Cambridge, that was involved. At that time, Dallas was also diagnosed with a collapsed larynx. Dr Cambridge was going to perform a larynx resection surgery. As he began the procedure, he wanted to assess which side of the larynx to remove. To his amazement, Dallas' larynx opened as wide and as powerful as any normal larynx.

When he called me, he explained that what he just witnessed was medically impossible, but the once collapsed larynx was just fine. He removed the temporary trach and Dallas was breathing on his own. Dr Cambridge then deemed Dallas the "miracle dog".

Again that was 8 years ago. Due to his history, we transferred Dallas to Dr Cambridge for a second opinion. After examining Dallas he explained the 3 possible options (rather than only option suggested by the first surgeon).

We just need to decide on the worst case scenario (permanent trach) before Dr Cambridge begins. Of course we are praying for the first option, but we need to be prepared for the worst.

Thank you

Jeff

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Thank you for the explanation. I am at a loss for words. I do not know what I would do either. I will send positive thoughts and prayers your way.

OP
B

Bulldogfan

Jun 11, 2014
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dallas
Jeff, I'm so sorry to hear about Dallas's condition.

I read this story about a Pug who had a tracheostomy placed. Have you seen this one? Perhaps this will help you, or at least know that the QOL does not have to be entirely diminished:
http://www.raevonpugs.com/jackson-story.html

Thank you for the link. It is good to see Jackson living a good life with a trach. This type of info helps with the decision.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Thank you for the link. It is good to see Jackson living a good life with a trach. This type of info helps with the decision.

You are most welcome. I thought Jackson's story was very inspiring and shows us that dogs can indeed live a happy, high quality life, with a trach. Please continue to keep us updated on Dallas.

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
WOW, that is a hard one for sure. I don't have any experience with a tracheostomy, but it seems if your boy is in great health other wise and still getting around very well, then it might be a possibility. It sounds like he will need more care and someone will need to be with him all the time to keep it clear and clean. I would talk with your vet and the surgeon to get their opinion.

Bazza

Jun 22, 2013
Melbourne Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Bazza
I am sorry to hear this, but have no experience with it at all, Dallas is a beautiful boy and you have some hard decisions and times ahead, he obviously has amazing parents! Thinking you both keep us updated.

OP
B

Bulldogfan

Jun 11, 2014
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dallas
Update on Dallas...

After plenty of researching dogs with tracheostomies, we learned that while it requires special care and sacrifice, dogs can live long full lives. We spoke to our surgeon and consented to the trach should it be necessary.

Remember, he gave us 3 scenarios.

The 1st was to start with removing the temporary tracheostomy to see if Dallas could breath on his own. He felt it was unlikely due to his airway measuring a mere 4mm, it was worth a try.

The 2nd was a partial laryngectomy (previously I misspoke and said laryngeal tieback). Dr Cambridge said this is a low success rate and he would make the determination whether or not to attempt once he opened Dallas up.

The 3rd was a permanent tracheostomy.

So we spent an hour visiting with Dallas prior to surgery. He was initially nervously excited and panting heavily, which had us on edge. He quickly began to relax and then eventually went to sleep as my wife and I were petting him. This was very good as the technician said he had not really slept in the last 24 hours. I was amazed that he was able to lie on his stomach and yet breathe.

We we left and anxiously awaited "the call". A couple of hours later, Dr Cambridge called, again amazed at Dallas. He removed the temporary tracheostomy and sure enough Dallas could breathe on his own!!! He said we are not 100% out of the woods, but he was very encouraged by what he was seeing.

It's a surreal feeling knowing that we were so close to putting Dallas down. Especially after the 1st surgeon said the tracheostomy was our only option. Now he breathing on his own waiting to come home.

I cannot express how overjoyed we are that our wonderful boy Dallas has yet again escaped a tracheostomy. We, along with all of our friends and family, had been praying for this outcome. We know that this may rear it's ugly head again, but for now I will just thank God for this blessing.

I also want to thank everyone here for your thoughts and prayers, as well as the info that helped us make an informed decision. Also, we found a support group for dogs with tracheostomies that gave us great info called dogtrach.

Thank you everyone and here is a picture from our visit pre-op.

View attachment 72770

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    244.9 KB · Views: 566

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Bless you, [MENTION=12112]Bulldogfan[/MENTION]. You do indeed have a fighter in Dallas and one determined bulldog who has so much spirit and life in him. I will continue to pray for Dallas, and I know he's not yet out of the woods, but what you've shared with us tonight sure are great signs. Give your boy a huge hug from us!! :heart::hug:

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.