advice for limping

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Koozer is limping pretty severely. We played yesterday (as normal) and nothing went awry. He fell asleep and woke up when daddy got home, and started limping really badly. This morning, he is still limping (rear left leg). I am thinking he just sprained something or maybe pulled a muscle? I'm debating going to the vet, because I know they will just do X-rays, which won't show anything other than a break (which I know isn't the problem). Suggestions? Should I just rest him and keep an eye on him? Medications and what dosage?

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I would give it a couple of days. It is pretty common for Bulldogs to limp sometimes after play. He could have just pulled a muscle. If he does not show improvement in a couple of days, I would bring him in to the vet. On the homepage there is a section for human medication that is ok to give a Bulldog. Look up aspirin. If he is in pain you can give him aspirin. I do not remember the dosage so be sure to check it out before you give him anything. Here is where everything is listed.

http://www.englishbulldognews.com/c...tions-that-are-safe-for-dogs-and-their-dosage!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
I agree w/Rosalie… Wally started limping after playing outside w/Roxie. It took about 3 weeks, and he did have a vet visit for vaccines at the time. She said just to watch him and see if it improves, and it did...

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
I agree with the others. My boy was limping pretty bad that an orthopedic vet even wanted to operate on him. Turns out he just needed 4-6 weeks of rest and he was back to normal. What a waste of 200 bucks that was. Hope your baby feels better soon.

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
Thank you all so much for the advice and support. That is what I figured but i didn't want to be a bad mom!

OP
Gfitz911

Gfitz911

Aug 9, 2012
Long Beach, CA
Bulldog(s) Names
Koozer
okay I'm so glad I waited. His limping is going away (almost back to a normal gait), so it must have been just a pulled muscle. Thanks everyone for the calm words!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Glad he is getting better. I also agree with the others, and we usually will wait a couple days before we take them in for limping, as they will pull a muscle and it usually gets better in a couple days.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
okay I'm so glad I waited. His limping is going away (almost back to a normal gait), so it must have been just a pulled muscle. Thanks everyone for the calm words!

is he still doing well?

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.