Help Needed! Bulldog not adjusting to recent move

Anthony2431

Jun 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Scully
Hi there everyone so I'm new here my GF and I just recently moved in together last Friday our boy Scully who's about to be a year old, couldn't adjust to the move. We've noticed over the last two times we've taken him for car rides he's panted heavily and started to wheeze a lot. We had to take him back to her parents house because he couldn't calm down at our new home. He's fine now but I suspect an underlying issue with him. He pants heavily with wheezing and seems to be flustered, he wouldn't drink water and when he was with us Sunday for the 5 hours he wouldn't stop panting if I left the house he'd calm down but the second I got home he was crazy excited for me.

Im wondering if there's more to it than him just being overly excited he can't catch his breath.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Hi Anthony, and glad you're here on EBN :)

How did Scully do at your GF's parent's home? Was he still panting and wheezing? If so, then I'd think there may be something physically going on with him and a trip to the vet should be in order. If he was more his "normal" self, no panting/wheezing or discomfort than i'm wondering if the move to the new house has created some kind of anxiety with him. It's hard to say. Or perhaps something environmental at the new house? does he have allergies? How long was he at the new place?

OP
Anthony2431

Anthony2431

Jun 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Scully
Hi Anthony, and glad you're here on EBN :)

How did Scully do at your GF's parent's home? Was he still panting and wheezing? If so, then I'd think there may be something physically going on with him and a trip to the vet should be in order. If he was more his "normal" self, no panting/wheezing or discomfort than i'm wondering if the move to the new house has created some kind of anxiety with him. It's hard to say. Or perhaps something environmental at the new house? does he have allergies? How long was he at the new place?

Thank you for your reply, when he got there he immediately started to calm down was drinking water he was still panting for sure but his wheezing had stopped and he was fine after. As far as the allergies none that we know of but he had a similar attack a few weeks ago when we took him to the dog park. It's almost like he gets overly excited to the point where he can't breathe right.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Henny asked some great questions and I agree w/her post. If he
continues this, take him in for evaluation. He might need short term
anxiety meds to adjust to change. You might try a great herbal spray
(or drops) called Rescue Remedy, available on Amazon.

It could be environmental allergies, have you tried Benadryl? It can
cause drowsiness which might help calm him too. No liquid tho as it
can contain alcohol and/or sugar substitutes so only use the pink
tablets or capsules. One tablet for every 25 lb of dog, for 65 lb Cami,
I could give her two pills but her allergies aren't terrible so I'll give
her one in AM and one at PM when she's flaring.

Could be other issues so if continues do take him in...please let us
know how Scully does. Congratulations on new home and Welcome
to EBN~GOD bless!

brutus77

Skinny-Dippin' Smokin' Tidy Bowl Bionic Woman
Jul 18, 2013
Long Island NY
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus, Frankie, and Jack
I agree, it sounds like anxiety. You can give him meds short term to help him get used to his new environment. Welcome to EBN.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
The Rescue Remedy is a great suggestion. My first bulldog, Bulldozer had so much anxiety when we moved that he had explosive bowel movements for a week.
Bulldogs are a funny bunch, they like their little world and when something new comes into it or even if there is a strange car parked outside sometimes, they have anxiety about it.
I hope your baby acclimates soon and you are all back together.

Welcome to the site!!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Or try the thunder shirt and see if that helps, bully's are a funny bunch like Kori said. Anxiety in bully's is 10000000x worse then other breeds. Welcome to EBN.

OP
Anthony2431

Anthony2431

Jun 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Scully
Or try the thunder shirt and see if that helps, bully's are a funny bunch like Kori said. Anxiety in bully's is 10000000x worse then other breeds. Welcome to EBN.

You guys are awesome. I like this forum, my gf seems to believe there's more wrong with him cause he pants a lot and gets out of breath quickly I just figured that's his bully breed. We have an olde English bulldogge mixed with an American bulldog and he pants and gets out of breath quickly but not like scully, who I think is just out of shape.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
You guys are awesome. I like this forum, my gf seems to believe there's more wrong with him cause he pants a lot and gets out of breath quickly I just figured that's his bully breed. We have an olde English bulldogge mixed with an American bulldog and he pants and gets out of breath quickly but not like scully, who I think is just out of shape.
Is there any chance that the new place may have had other dogs there before?? He may be smelling their scent and freaking out a little. Also, is there a good ac unit? I don't know where you live but if it's warmer in the new place, that may explain the panting as well.

we're all here to help and there are some wonderful people here, just ask and help will always appear!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
I would get him to a good bully vet to have his palate checked and also his heart. Plus is he cool enough in the car and in the house? Maybe a fan will help some. Plus the Rescue Remedy should help also. There might be a smell in the new house he does not like and it will take time for him to get used to it, but I would have a vet check him first.

OP
Anthony2431

Anthony2431

Jun 10, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Scully
I would get him to a good bully vet to have his palate checked and also his heart. Plus is he cool enough in the car and in the house? Maybe a fan will help some. Plus the Rescue Remedy should help also. There might be a smell in the new house he does not like and it will take time for him to get used to it, but I would have a vet check him first.

Yes, that's what I was thinking he may have smelled the previous dog despite my efforts to get rid of the smell. I've mentioned that soft palate surgery to my gf and we need to do that if that's the case he'll be a year old next week. Does anyone have any idea how much it costs for that surgery? We live in Southern California. Los Angeles county to be exact.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes, that's what I was thinking he may have smelled the previous dog despite my efforts to get rid of the smell. I've mentioned that soft palate surgery to my gf and we need to do that if that's the case he'll be a year old next week. Does anyone have any idea how much it costs for that surgery? We live in Southern California. Los Angeles county to be exact.

It all varies by his condition and what the vet thinks, I believe for out here it runs between $400 and $600.. Do you have a vet now?

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet

If I were you I'd go to Dr. Butchko in Riverside hes further out but well worth it, he knows the Bulldog breed and his prices tend to be way cheaper. He doesnt take appointments so its first come first serve.

Bulldogfan

Jun 11, 2014
Southern California
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dallas
Wheezing can be very serious. Bullies can go from a slight wheeze to a collapsed larynx in seconds. I cannot emphasize enough to get Scully's airway checked out by a GOOD vet. Dr Butchzko in Riverside is good for basic care, but I really like Dr Glass in Tustin. If surgical care is needed, then Dr Cambridge in Tustin is one of the best surgeon's in the Country.

Always have fans/ice packs and water on hand, whether are home or on the road. Keeping bullies from overheating can be the difference between life and death.

I wish you and Scully the best!

Bella and Dozers Dad

Community Veteran
Feb 2, 2014
Clayton, NC
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bella, Dozer and Koda
Is there any chance that the new place may have had other dogs there before?? He may be smelling their scent and freaking out a little. Also, is there a good ac unit? I don't know where you live but if it's warmer in the new place, that may explain the panting as well.

we're all here to help and there are some wonderful people here, just ask and help will always appear!!!

Was thinking the same, he might be over heating in high temp.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.