Go Pet Plan Pet Insurance - Underwriters trying to Not Pay

B

Baxter Tiberius

Another insurance story for you all.

Summary for the skimmers: Make sure you look at your doctors notes before they fax a claim to your insurance. Make sure it doesn't mention ANY OTHER CONDITION on it.

Baxter went in for a kidney ultrasound and kidney bloodwork. Ultimately I was slapped with a $1200 bill for just that. He had previously high kidney numbers and this was to check for any further issues. While doing the ultrasound the doctor noticed in passing that Baxter had an enlarged prostate. So, being thorough, as doctors should be, she notated it in her ultrasound findings.

GoPetPlan underwriters received the claim, which was supposed to be 100000000% for a kidney checkup, intentionally isolated the prostate note, then decided that this was "two claims for two different conditions". They then got even more creative and applied my $200 deductible TWICE. So now I had a $1,000 bill for the Kidneys and ... (did they pull this out of their rear end?) a $190 bill for a prostate issue. And guess what? How convenient (maybe they didnt pull it out of their rear end after all) that second bill didn't meet the $200 deductible, so it was not refunded. In the end, I got a refund check for $600 on a $1,200 bill.

So $1,200 becomes $1,000. Minus $200 deductible becomes $800. Minus 20% because they pay 80% = $600. Wow! That's awesome insurance!

Nice work GoPetPlan underwriters! You can't reach this level of dishonesty with just human nature. Its clear they've been trained on ways to rig the system to rip people off. So now i get to waste 2 hours of my business day chasing around my vet, asking them to rewrite a letter, reviewing that letter, reviewing the notes, and then we open up an "appeal" with the gods behind the curtain (underwriting), mail that in and wait another 2-6 weeks for their highnesses to approve or deny the appeal. Oh my. I hope they grant us kindness and grace. :-/

Moral of the story - before you send something in to your insurance, make sure that even the most creative theif/underwriter/jerk can't twist the words to mean something they don't mean. This has happened 3 times now with this company.

Writing this post purely in hopes that it gets ranked well in Google.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
this is disgusting, once they approve or deny the claim then it's high time to drop them, this is so WRONG!!!

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
That horrible....these Insurance companies are tricky! I used to have Embrace actually liked them. Currently have Trupanion, havent had to use them yet so the jury is still out.

freebeans

May 1, 2013
Virginia
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
duke
And Unfortunaly this crap happens with people as well and Insurance companies! Then when you want a copy of the doctors notes,and it is issue. Sorry you had to find out the expensive way:(

Ftse 100

Bully lov'in wonder from down under
Mar 25, 2012
Qld Australia
Country
Australia
Bulldog(s) Names
Ftse
I am going through a dispute with my insurance comp now as the vet wrote something up wrong before I even joined the insurance and now they have not paid on numerous things so I got the vet to change it and now its wait and see I am sick of paying over $800 and just getting back for needles etc and some major thing that I truly hopes never happens

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
We have been lucky so far. Trupanion has covered all of Harlea's stuff the last couple of months. The only thing I am fighting with them over is when we had to pick up additional medications.

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.