Possible obstruction?

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Bifi has been coughing (i think) or has been throwing up small amounts of slimy fluids since last night (we both didn't sleep). No fever, no greeny nasal discharge. How do i know if he's coughing or throwing up? he just "coughed" a few minutes ago and it has stomach contents meaning some food included. Is it possible that he coughs up some of his lunch (I'm hoping he keeps his lunch down) with some of the phlegm/slime? I am now very scared that it's obstruction. Although i couldn't think of the possible cause of the obstruction. All of his toys are still intact. It's holiday today so no vets open. We would go tomorrow. He still has his appetite but because it's pretty warm 33°C (91°F) he's been panting and sleeping alot so i couldn't really tell if he's lethargic. i don't want to engage him to play just to see if he has the energy for it.

I think it is coughing but if it is why would there be stomach contents in his output? i gave him honey this morning and honey with a little lemon juice and water near his bowl and he drinks it. i think it helps because he no longer wakes up just to cough. input would be greatly appreciated! his snoring right now just like the rest of the day and yesterday. worried sick!!!

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Sounds like he is too hot. Panting will produce slimy white foam they will cough up. Get him into the A/C. If you are keeping him outside bring him in, Bullies are indoor dogs. I would hope it's not 91 deg F. in your home.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi has been coughing (i think) or has been throwing up small amounts of slimy fluids since last night (we both didn't sleep). No fever, no greeny nasal discharge. How do i know if he's coughing or throwing up? he just "coughed" a few minutes ago and it has stomach contents meaning some food included. Is it possible that he coughs up some of his lunch (I'm hoping he keeps his lunch down) with some of the phlegm/slime? I am now very scared that it's obstruction. Although i couldn't think of the possible cause of the obstruction. All of his toys are still intact. It's holiday today so no vets open. We would go tomorrow. He still has his appetite but because it's pretty warm 33°C (91°F) he's been panting and sleeping alot so i couldn't really tell if he's lethargic. i don't want to engage him to play just to see if he has the energy for it.

I think it is coughing but if it is why would there be stomach contents in his output? i gave him honey this morning and honey with a little lemon juice and water near his bowl and he drinks it. i think it helps because he no longer wakes up just to cough. input would be greatly appreciated! his snoring right now just like the rest of the day and yesterday. worried sick!!!

Wet down some towels in cold water and put them on him if he's still panting, is he inside with a/c?

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
He probably just got too hot… I don't let my dogs stay out for too long during the day, maybe 15-20 min max. We go out early in the day, and late in the evening when it cools down…

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Wet down some towels in cold water and put them on him if he's still panting, is he inside with a/c?

No we don't have AC. i have been wetting him since the temperature rose to 25°C a week ago. We have this water spray that you can pump and put pressure and that's what i use to wet him after a short potty walk outside. and if it's really hot i shower him. dunno if the shower is the cause of the cough. showered him yesterday.

He probably just got too hot… I don't let my dogs stay out for too long during the day, maybe 15-20 min max. We go out early in the day, and late in the evening when it cools down…

we walk 10 mins max in this weather. and don't go out as often as we usually do. once he starts to pant we go back (and that's usually after 5mins) and if he's still panting i wet him. if he is just slightly panting then i wipe him down. dunno if he caught a virus because he is coughing :/.

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Sounds like he is too hot. Panting will produce slimy white foam they will cough up. Get him into the A/C. If you are keeping him outside bring him in, Bullies are indoor dogs. I would hope it's not 91 deg F. in your home.

Hmmm nah he is not overheated. I'm very careful when it comes to heat and him. I wet him if he needs to go out in the middle of the heat and we are out and in. if he's still panting when he gets home then i wet him again. no it's not 91°F inside our home :D. he would be coughing even when he is rested, like from sleep, and not panting.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
He could be coughing because he's got foam in his mouth. Is there anywhere you can take him that is air conditioned to see if it helps?

OP
dieMuttivonBifi

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
He could be coughing because he's got foam in his mouth. Is there anywhere you can take him that is air conditioned to see if it helps?

Germany is actually a pretty cold country, warm months here are actually suppose to be 2-3 months long. there's hardly anyone here who has AC unfortunately. and no he is not overheated. he is actually resting now but when he get up he would cough.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
No we don't have AC. i have been wetting him since the temperature rose to 25°C a week ago. We have this water spray that you can pump and put pressure and that's what i use to wet him after a short potty walk outside. and if it's really hot i shower him. dunno if the shower is the cause of the cough. showered him yesterday.

we walk 10 mins max in this weather. and don't go out as often as we usually do. once he starts to pant we go back (and that's usually after 5mins) and if he's still panting i wet him. if he is just slightly panting then i wipe him down. dunno if he caught a virus because he is coughing :/.

I think [MENTION=2071]Davidh[/MENTION] is right, he's just too hot. These guys need cool air all the time really. Put a couple ice cubes in a bowl that will cool him down quick enough. If you have ice packs you could put them on any hard floor surface and run a fan directly on him that helps quite a bit too.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
[MENTION=8944]dieMuttivonBifi[/MENTION] could be an obstruction but if he's pooing ok and able to keep food down i doubt it's that. May be kennel cough too but i don't know unless he's been hanging out with other dogs real close. Might be hair balls too because of the new kitty making Bifi clean it when you aren't looking. Unless the cat is sick and passed it off to Bifi??

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Germany is actually a pretty cold country, warm months here are actually suppose to be 2-3 months long. there's hardly anyone here who has AC unfortunately. and no he is not overheated. he is actually resting now but when he get up he would cough.

I remember VERY well when we lived in Germany, there are very few places that have AC. I would take him to the vet JUST to be sure… he could be obstructed or caught a virus or something. I hope Bifi feels better soon hon, keep us posted!!!

B

Baxter Tiberius

When baxter had kennel cough he would cough up phlegm. There's a very distinct kennel cough style though. Its very easy to identify.

It sounds like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rji69O-KPN8

But at the end there is almost *always* a "HAAAAACCKKKKKGKGKGKK!!!" where they look like they're gagging and dry heaving. That's always at the end of the cough. And sometimes phlegm comes up.

So if its a honking honking honking followed by a "AACCHHHH!H!K!KKK!!" and the whole body wretches ... then thats kennel cough. THe dog in the video doesn't do the wretch loudly

Keep an eye on the poo and if it stops, then you've got an obstruction issue. If he still poo's normal size, normal amount, etc its likely not that.

When they are really warm (they get HOT at temperatures you and I think are just barely above room temperature, so don't base it on how warm you think it is in the room!) they can over-phlegm.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, you've already been given great advice, and I agree it's probably due to him being overheated. I know in Europe not many people have AC, as its not usually hot enough to warrant it. Most people open their windows. My Father is from Germany, and my Mother is Norwegian, and I spent many summers in Norway and Germany growing up, and everyone just opened the windows. I would plug in a fan and put it near Bifi when it's hot, and that should help to keep him cool. Maybe the constant wetting him down is giving him a chill and he caught a cold. Keep an eye on him, and if it doesn't improve, I would take him to the vet, to rule out a virus or kennel cough. I hope he feels better soon, and it's nothing serious. It doesn't sound like a obstruction to me. Please keep us posted on how Bifi is doing.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I think @Davidh is right, he's just too hot. These guys need cool air all the time really. Put a couple ice cubes in a bowl that will cool him down quick enough. If you have ice packs you could put them on any hard floor surface and run a fan directly on him that helps quite a bit too.

Yes, excellent idea from Phil, on hot days, put a plate of ice down
in front of a fan, works great! Hoping Bifi just got too hot and is
to his old self by now. Please keep us informed~GOD bless y'all!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.