Is this normal?

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
Hello, my baby bull is losing hair on his lips and I see some pimple like bumps. We clean his wrinkles with medicated wipes but he is wet a lot because he drinks water like he is bathing. Any help?
sumy8ezu.jpg
8eza4ara.jpg

Sent from my LGMS769 using Tapatalk

OP
amelyza

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
Skin questions! Help

Hello, my baby bull is losing hair on his lips and I see some pimple like bumps. We clean his wrinkles with medicated wipes but he is wet a lot because he drinks water like he is bathing. Any help?
epubujyd.jpg
ubenejen.jpg

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
Re: Skin questions! Help

Dampness from drinking water can cause irritation and chin acne, but it can also be food related as well. Wipe his face dry after drinking and continue with the wipes and give it a few days to see if it starts to clear up. If not then I would take a look at the food as a next step.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Re: Skin questions! Help

I agree with Todd completely.

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Hum...how old is he? Could he have gotten into something in the yard that is causing this reaction?

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
sumy8ezu.jpg
8eza4ara.jpg

I'm merging this thread with the other thread you started.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
Also this is called puppy acne , agree with Todd keep the area clean and dry
Looking at the first picture there is a lot of redness around the mouth and folds-do they smell funny (between folds?)this could be sign of a yeast or other bacterial infection -again we use witch hazel daily to wipe clean and dry the wrinkles and folds
can i ask what are you feeding your bulldog?

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Keeping the puppy dry will help, also, what type of bowl is the water in??? I know some bulldogs are sensitive to plastic bowls and can get topical reactions from them.

OP
amelyza

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
We feed him iams and his mouth stinks but not the folds. He is 10 months. I'm going to start drying him after drinking water. His bowl is of stainless steel.

tyree213

Nov 26, 2012
New Orleans
Bulldog(s) Names
Gilbert, Scarlet
You might wanna switch him to a better food. More than likely that along with it being moist is causing it. You can use witch hazel which is self drying or even Listerine (the original gold one) for the acne.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Agree, better food and dry off face and chin frequently, also clean bowls between every feeding. :up: good luck and keep us posted!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I would also suggest using ceramic bowls and start a cleaning routine -bullies are high maintenance dogs that benefit from good quality food, cleaning care

Here is what we do daily ;

" Hi guys i thought i share with you what i have always done with my girls -what i like to call "a mini check up "

1) nose -even tho most bulldogs have a naturally dry nose make sure it is not cracking ,make sure nose rope is clean and doesn't smell (this could indicate yeast infection)

2) eyes -they should be nice clear eyes with no gunk ,redness or swelling- if you notice any redness or inflammation it could be signs of allergy or infection

3) ears- clean and odour free ears are a sign of a healthy bully -we clean them once a week ,but check their general condition daily -ears full of wax ,smelly or red could be sign of infection ,allergy ,or mites

4) gums - gums of your bully should be pink -if you notice them going pale contact your vet -pale gums are indication that something isn't right - it could be nothing serious but worth checking

5) chin -oh the bully chin -make sure it is dry at all times ,not red with no signs of acne

6) wrinkles and folds -the big 3 : check daily ,wipe clean & keep them dry

7) skin and coat -bully coat should be soft and shiny , skin free from "flakes" , spots and hotspots , check for any lumps and bumps ,also don't forget checking for any signs of fleas and ticks Daily brushing will help keep those stray hair at bay ,

8) " bits and bobs " check ALL intimate areas and wipe clean daily -most of bulldogs if not all cant clean themselves , check for any signs of redness and spots , any unusual discharge . If your bully got a tail pocket don't forget to wipe it clean ,once in a while your bully anal glands might need expressing if you cant do it yourself make sure you have suitable person who will take care of this stinky business ;-)

9) paws -check in between paws for any redness ,cysts ,also pads for any cuts and splinters ,make sure your bully nails are trimmed

10 ) weight -chubby bully is an unhealthily bully -monitor your dog weight , you need to feel the ribs with GENTLE pressure not see them ,bullies also should have waist ;-)

25ptlpc.jpg
"

OP
amelyza

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks you very much for your help! !!!

OP
amelyza

amelyza

Dec 26, 2013
Update-we did not change his food but we stopped using those wipes we got from pet smart and he looks much much better! Thank you for the help!
dy6u2ezy.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
He looks great-glad you found the cause, and it was a simple solution!

Most Reactions