Nasal discharge, tired

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Maizy seems to be sick. Friday I had her at doggie daycare. She was fine just tired as usual when I picked her up. She is current on all vaccinations including Bordatella and canine influenza. We'll Saturday I had to work and the hubby and kids were home. When I came home he said she slept all day and her nose is runny. Today, Sunday, had to work again and asked him to let me know how she was, and got the same report, she's tired and not doing anything, in addition she was coughing some and eye discharge and nose still going from one nostril. Tomorrow morning I'm calling the vet. I'm concerned that she either picked up a bacterial infection, or that she possibly ate something she shouldn't have or stung? She has been caught with metal wires, chasing spiders, wasps, etc. crazy things as she is still a puppy just 11 months old. I'm also concerned maybe she got stung by something? If I had her vaccinated for influenza and Bordatella is there anything else that goes around dog kennels? I've never had a problem ever there, and she boarded there before and goes to spend the day often enough like if I am going to work a long hour day.

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
If she got stung by something, you would probably know… she would have swelling or bumps/hives… usually pretty severe. I would take her in, sounds like she might have caught something at the daycare. Better safe than sorry… Hope she feels better soon!!!

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I'm so sorry Maizy isn't feeling well, since she is up to date on Influenza, and Bordetella you can rule those out. The only other thing she could possibly pick up at daycare is Kennel Cough, which there is a vaccination for, but even with the vaccine it isn't always 100% effective, and takes up to two weeks to become effective. She could still have just a simple cold virus, or it could be seasonal or environmental allergies. The only way to know for sure is to see the vet and let him determine if she has a virus or infection. Maybe she needs antibiotics? I don't think she got sting or bit by anything because that usually causes swelling of the eyes, and/or face. I hope she feels better soon, please keep us posted.

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
I hope they can find out what she has fast so she can recover! Calling first thing in the morning.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
I hope she feels better fast and is back to herself. I know mine is having some seasonal allergy symptoms which is causing his nose to run a little too.

Pati Robins

I'm Polish what did you expect! A lady like person
Community Veteran
Jun 12, 2013
Cardiff UK
Country
UK-Cardiff
Bulldog(s) Names
Lily (British Bulldog) & Shy (American Bulldog X)
I hope she feels better soon , you received great advice x agreenasal discharge could be a sign of kennel cough ,but again she could have allergic reaction to something too
Please keep us posted

My Otis

Community Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
North Carolina
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Elmo
I would take Maizy to the Vet to make sure all is ok with her. Let us know how she is doing. LOVE AND HUGS TO MAIZY. :luv::hug:

Roseann

Jan 24, 2014
Kansas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Henry, Clyde-EB/basset hound and Macon
Henry can't eat chicken food but our lab could. If Henry even licked Rootbeers mouth he had a reaction. Now they're on the same food to avoid problems. 2 days ago he are a frosted flake off the floor and now has a bumpy chin. It could be something he licked off another pup.

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
Maizy seems to be sick. Friday I had her at doggie daycare. She was fine just tired as usual when I picked her up. She is current on all vaccinations including Bordatella and canine influenza. We'll Saturday I had to work and the hubby and kids were home. When I came home he said she slept all day and her nose is runny. Today, Sunday, had to work again and asked him to let me know how she was, and got the same report, she's tired and not doing anything, in addition she was coughing some and eye discharge and nose still going from one nostril. Tomorrow morning I'm calling the vet. I'm concerned that she either picked up a bacterial infection, or that she possibly ate something she shouldn't have or stung? She has been caught with metal wires, chasing spiders, wasps, etc. crazy things as she is still a puppy just 11 months old. I'm also concerned maybe she got stung by something? If I had her vaccinated for influenza and Bordatella is there anything else that goes around dog kennels? I've never had a problem ever there, and she boarded there before and goes to spend the day often enough like if I am going to work a long hour day.

Any news? Hope she is feeling better. Sounds like she may have caught something at daycare. Poor babes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bullmama

Owner/Administrator
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jan 28, 2010
Tucson, Arizona
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
The Home of the Desert Sky Pack
I was just asked if the bordatella vaccine protects against kennel cough, so I wanted to post what my understanding of the Bordatella vaccine is.

From what I have been told by vets, is that just like any virus, or the annual flu shot, they can mutate into new viruses. So the Bordatella vaccine is a wonderful way to help protect your pet from getting kennel cough, but, it is not 100%. It highly depends on two things, the strain of the virus (if mutated) and the immune system of the pet. So even with this vaccine your pet CAN get kennel cough. Not sure the exact science of it all, but that is how I understand it.

OP
Maizy

Maizy

Oct 9, 2013
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Maizy
Ok so we got to the vet today, and sort of good news. Good that nothing is serious. She said its upper respiratory. Like things we get, some of the vaccines like she got the canine influenza one before and bordatella, doesn't mean she'll never develop anything. She said its hard on the brachycephalic type upper respiratory things. We have antibiotics and just to watch her sometimes those do go reach further down and they can get pneumonia. Maizy is still feeling out of it today, slept all day and she's watching us, but no interest in playing or walking, or going outside.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Poor girl,I hope she feels better. Your a good mom to take her in.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Oh Maizy, praying for a really quick recovery!!!!

Most Reactions

Members online

No members online now.