Help Needed! Prayers are needed for my Captain.

mdwilson1117

Jun 7, 2014
S.W. Missouri
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Boozer, Captain, Sarge, JenNay
A little history about Captain: The first part of May my cousin came into possession of an abandoned English Bulldog. He knew his sister wanted one so he went to live with her. After a couple of days she called her mom and told her to come and get the EB because he was aggressive towards her children. He then went to live with her mom (my husbands aunt). He was with her a few days when she called me and said she was seriously stressed out because he didn't get along with her pug and tried to jump in their pool. He then came to live with me. I took him to have him scanned for a microchip, there was none. I made SEVERAL calls to different Animal Control to see if anyone had reported him stolen or missing. Having come up empty handed, I decided I would adopt him. I figured I would wait till I had him a month and then take him to get his preventative medications and get him caught up on what ever immunizations my vet recommended. We renamed him Captain and welcomed him permanently into our family.

On May 17, Captain ran out the back door with my youngest child. Later that day, he started having seizures. Since having idiopathic hear tremors a few days before, it was thought they were due to having low blood sugar. After having 9 seizures in a 28 hour time frame he did great! Right up until June 4. On June 4 he ran out of the house again and went on a 15 minute hard core dead run, same as he did on May 17. Later that evening he began to have seizures again. I called out vet and they said to monitor him and keep a journal of his seizures. By 9:00 AM on the 5th he had suffered 8 seizures. I called the vet and told them I was bringing him in. However, it was storming pretty bad and the vet suggested we hold off so that the storm didn't stress him out while in transit and possibly cause more damage. We held off in taking him until the storm passed, which was at 9:00 AM on the 6th. During this time he had a total of 15 seizures. Once we got him there they took lab work and determined that his liver enzymes are slightly high, but nothing to be worried about. To rule out epilepsy he did a heart worm check. Before the control panel line came up....the positive line was well visible, determining that he is definitely a strong positive for heart worm. I was devastated. He is now on phenobarbital, potassium sulfate, and doxycycline. In three weeks (we have to wait till my husband gets paid as the vet wants payment up front) he has to be hospitalized for three days to have his heart worm treatment. Having never dealt with heart worm this terrifies me. Just as I know it does him.

Attachments

• DSC_0124.jpg
    DSC_0124.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 144

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
What a great story. Im so so sorry and pray that all of this will stop and they get his heartworms knocked out. Thank you for posting, please keep us updated on what happens. :heart: to Captain..

OP
mdwilson1117

mdwilson1117

Jun 7, 2014
S.W. Missouri
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much. I will definitely keep you posted. I just received a message from a friend who is setting up a donation fund to help pay for his treatment. I just had a total knee replacement and have to have my other knee done so I am unable to work at the moment. So this is also a blessing. Even though my husband makes decent money, we have to wait three weeks till he gets paid to have his treatment started. With her help we can get it done sooner, hopefully, so he doesn't have to suffer from this any longer than he has to.

cali baker

Worlds Greatest Chef
Feb 25, 2011
The Crown City (Pasadena)
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Tate Rory & Finn Paddington
Wow, the little guy has been through a lot of health and emotional stress with the moving and all...thank you so much for adopting him and being some a good momma.
I will be thinking of Captain and praying that all will go well with his treatment(s). Please send him our love! :heart:

Davidh

Head Pooper Scooper
Staff member
Mar 21, 2011
Katy, Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
BeBe, Hazel, Lucy Lu, JLO, Hillary, Henri, & Katie
Thank you for taking him in and giving him a loving home. He is a very handsome boy and we are sending prayers for his treatment. I'm sure he will do fine with it, and soon be a healthy happy boy.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
he really has been through alot. thankgoodness you took him in. very generous of you. fervently hope he goes through the treatment well and recovers quickly. keeping you and your family and Captain in my thoughts, sending love, hugs and healing thoughts your way. Thank you for giving him a home!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
Oh my gosh, your poor baby… I'm so sorry that you are going thru this, sending lots of hugs and prayers to you all and Captain!!! Please keep us posted...

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Thoughts and prayers coming your way, I hope Captain can get through the treatment quickly and feel better soon!!!!
bless you for giving him a loving home

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
thoughts and prayers are being sent your way! Please keep us posted and give that boy kisses from all of us.
God Bless.

Carmin

OP
mdwilson1117

mdwilson1117

Jun 7, 2014
S.W. Missouri
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you, everyone. I will definitely keep everyone posted. He is such a joy to have. I have to admit, it does anger my that someone dumped this sweet boy because of his health issues. In my opinion it is like dumping your skin child because they have a health issue. If they would have given him proper preventative treatment he wouldn't be in this shape. =( I noticed last night, as he would walk his back legs would sometimes slide out from under him and he would slip. I am praying it is just a side effect from starting new meds and it will subside soon. I will be calling and asking his vet today though just to make sure. Other than that and acting sleepy (which after the seizures he has had and all he's been through I expected this) he acts super happy. When he wants my attention he will come sit by me and put one paw up at me, as if waiting on me to give him a "high five," and will smile the biggest smile I've ever seen. I love this boy so much.

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
I'm sure that it's just the effects of the new meds like you said. I love to hear that about him pawing at you when he wants attention and I'm so glad that you found us here. :D

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
GOD bless you for rescuing Captain and getting his medical issues
taken care of, your post touches my heart and I am adding you to
my prayers that GOD provides plenty of donations to pay vet bills.
Praying over your surgeries as well, Michelle and speedy recoveries.
Please keep us informed on both of y'all, sending Love, Strength,
Hope & Faith to you!

BuddercupKelly

Jan 5, 2014
Citrus County, FL
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Dozer
So sorry to hear that he is not doing well. Prayers are definitely going up for you and him. My friend has a rescue, but not EB specific and she has had quite a few dogs with heart worms and the medication has been very successful. Hang in there.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Prayers for YOU and for Captain! You have a wonderful friend, who is helping with a fund for Captain. You are blessed.

OP
mdwilson1117

mdwilson1117

Jun 7, 2014
S.W. Missouri
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you so much everyone. All of your kind words are heart touching. I am so glad I found this site. Captain has spent the last couple of days being my happy, loving boy. He actually jumped up on my bed to lay down with me yesterday. This is something he hasn't done since we brought him home. It was an amazing feeling. Thanks for all the prayers. They are definitely helping him.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.