Help Needed! Cherry Eye

Bainjane

May 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie and Sophie
Hi everyone! I was recently blessed with two bulldog pups who are now 15 weeks old. Both of my bullies have a cherry eye. My vet recommends just cutting out the tear duct but I've read that could lead to dry eye and then blindness :w00t:. He said that in his 40 years of practice they have never had a case that lead to blindness. If the tear duct is tacked in place all should be well. He also suggested I wait until they are spayed to do the eye surgery so they would only have to go under once. ANY COMMENTS; RECOMMENDATIONS; STORIES that you can share to help me.
Thanks so much!!

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Yes I would wait until the spay if you decide to do surgery. You dont want the anesthesia twice. Poor babies.

Bulldozersma

Community Veteran
Jul 26, 2012
Nevada
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Frank "The Tank", Bocephus Watasha Ledoux, Rampage Jackson (RIP) Bulldozer (RIP)
Absolutely wait and combine the surgeries. I know that removal is usually the last resort now. My pup has had two surgeries on his left eye and his dog opthalmologist still has not even brought up removing the gland. My first bulldog, Bulldozer had cherry eye surgery as a pup, he lost his eye sight at about 11. His vet said that it was related to the surgery and age of course.
I would highly recommend getting a second opinion.

Julzz9170

Apr 15, 2014
New jersey
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Fatso, Romeo
Both of my boys had cherry eye surgery as puppies before I got them..Fatso had his tacked and his eyes are great and he is 5 now and has never had a problem again.. When we got Romeo at 4 months, he had just gotten nuetered and had his tear ducts cut..he had a terrible infection in both eyes and has chronic dry eye in both eyes..he gets ointment twice a day..although his eyes look very good now when you look inside his eyes it looks very ragged..they did not do a great job..hopefully your vet does better work than the hack that messed poor Romeos eyes up

OP
B

Bainjane

May 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie and Sophie
I'm definitely going to get a 2nd opinion! Thanks so much for your comment!

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks!!

OP
B

Bainjane

May 19, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Annie and Sophie
Thank you!!

- - - Updated - - -