UTI

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Centerton, Arkansas, United States
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Wheezie Kay Wigglebottom and Zakk Abbott Wylde
Hi..I was wondering if any of you have experienced your bully females getting UTI's.We are treating Wheezie right now for one with antibiotics and some high dollar canned Vet food.She doesn't seem that interested in drinking much water so we've been giving her veggies that are high in water and yogurt treats.Any advice or suggestions to keep her from getting more UTIs.The vet did say that she may need a little tuck in that area later on..ouch!!! Thanks all

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
You can give cranberry pills to her once a day. Also, wipe the area after she potties, it will help some in keep it dry

My girl suffered with this as a pup too... at around 2 years old she had to have extra skin/tissue remove... called a vulvaplasty. Once she had it done, she did not get another UTI for over 6 yrs.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you I was curious about cranberry pills.. Now I know :)

bluesteelapd

May 1, 2010
New Jersey
Bulldog(s) Names
Mona Lisa and Leonardo
Oh yeah, been there, done that. I noticed Momo was squatting 2-3 times when I'd take her out, which was totally unlike her, but I didn't think anything else about it. Then a few days went by and I noticed little spots of blood and we went to the vet the next day with a urine same. Momo is 6. The vet said she had crystals in her urine but couldn't do an xray because Momo hadn't pooped yet and it would block everything. She gave us powerful antibiotics for 14 days and requested another pee sample around day 13. Within two days Momo was back to her old self. The 2nd urine sample turned out great. Now that she's had one, though, the vet said she's more susceptible to getting another one. She also said the bully breed don't show that they aren't feeling well easily so you really have to keep an eye on them for any deviation in routine. As for the food...maybe your girl was eating too high of a protein diet before? I was told that her diet might need to change if the 2nd urine screening came back abnormal.
Good Luck! You've gotten great advise already.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, Christine has already given you great advice. I don't have any experience with Vulvaplasty surgery or UTIs , but I do know females can be more susceptible to UTIs, especially if they crouch down low to the ground when they pee. They can get bacteria in their private area. You can avoid or lessen the chances of this happening by wiping her area with a unscented baby wipe after she pees. I give my guys a cranberry pill everyday on their kibble, I buy the capsules, and just break one open and sprinkle the powder over the kibble. You can buy these at the drugstore, or at a health food store, or in the health/organic section of the grocery store. It is cheaper to buy them at these places than it is to buy the supplements from your vet, and most medications and supplements that are safe for humans are also safe for dogs.

OP
Christie H

Christie H

May 29, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Thank you for the great advice.My Wheezie sqats very low to the ground when she pottys and I've been wiping one end or the other since they were wee ones,so I'm experienced in that area.lol.I'm going to try the cranberry pills for sure.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.