Whew...Lets Talk Leptospirosis Vaccines!

MamaAndi

Staff member
Nov 20, 2011
Nebraska
Bulldog(s) Names
Tank
So my vet is changing the way they do the adult dog boosters and I'm hoping someone more vaccine savvy can help me understand it! Tank has in the past gotten a rabies booster and a shot marked as DHLPP. As I understand the DHLPP covers Distemper, Hepatitis, Leptospirosis, Parainfluenza, and Parvo...whew! Well now, I got his reminder card saying he is due for a Leptospirosis booster. I called them and asked why it was like that because he's never had an illness and in the past that was included in his distemper shot...they said they are changing the way or the type of vaccine they use so now this one will be singled out.

My question..

Have other members had this shot as a single vaccine? I've read other things saying they don't use this particular vaccine as earlier vaccines caused lots of adverse reactions. I always do what I feel is best for the dogs and we do use lots of holistic prevention for fleas, ticks, and heartworm. :)

So I guess I just want to hear other bully owners experience with the leptospirosis vaccine? Thanks!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
I'd research this before I'd give it...is there a problem w/this in your area?
If not...No way. It is good they are giving it apart from the other shots. Tank
probably has enough in him to pass on this...you could do a titer test.

Give your crew LOVE from me & Cami (you too <3)

Marine91

The New Casper
Staff member
May 15, 2013
Blips and Chitz
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Harlea 5/4/13 - 8/25/22
The Lepto is a seperate shot here by me as well. When Harlea got hers last year she was fins afterwards. No reaction was seen or noticed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
Hi, I had the same experience as Todd, my guys both got the leptovirus vaccine in a separate vaccination from their other shots. We lived in an area that had a river behind my house, and nature trails, we had lots of raccoons in our garbage every night, skunks, possums, and rabbits. I had never heard of the leptovirus before my vet explained it to us, and she told us that the virus is very serious and dangerous for the dogs, but it is one of the viruses that can be passed from your pet to humans, and if we contract it, it will make you very sick, can cause kidney failure and in some cases can be fatal. I am of the same opinion as you and others that not all vaccines are necessary every year, and after the initial puppy vaccines, you don't necessarily need to vaccinate every year as lots of vaccines have a longer immunity than that, but there are certain vaccines like rabies that are mandatory and the law, so we have no choice, and some like leptovirus and heartworm that are important. I would feel really horrible if my dog got sick or died from something that was preventable, or if my family, grandson, or myself contracted something horrible from my dogs that also could have been prevented. It's difficult to know which vaccines give longer immunity and maybe not have to be administered yearly, but titer testing can be done to see if your dog has immunity.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
It is and always has been a separates not here ....

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Staff online

Members online