Kidney Failure!!!!

etmaine62

May 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
My 15 month old bulldog is fighting for her life. Blood work did not support any signs of anti freeze. We have taken everything to the vet that we have used such as pesticides but they did not find any ingredient that would cause kidney failure. This all started last Sunday night, with hacking and being able to drink water without vomiting it all up along with some white foam. They thought it was Lymphoma but biopsy ruled that out. They have started her on steroids Wednesday evening as a last resort but I have not seen any improvements. They are giving her fluids through IV. they gave her one more steroid shot this morning and they will be running lab work on her this afternoon and if they don't see any improvement we will have no other choice but to....I can't even say it. I can not believe this is happening. She is far to young for this. I've wrecked my brain trying to figure out if I have missed something. I don't understand why this is happening. I watched her like a mother hawk, knowing how sensitive bullies are. I love my baby girl! Is there something I'm over looking???

dolphin

Pooper scooper
Nov 5, 2012
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
It could be so many things. I'm so so sorry to read this, I pray she will get over this and that they'll start to see improvements with the steroids. :pray:

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
I am so so sorry this is happening.... I will tag a few people to see if they have any insight for you at all. What food do you currently feed?

Sending many prayers and positive thoughts for your baby to heal.

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Do you give her any kind of jerky treats-or anything to eat that has ingredients from China? Chicken jerky? This is what happens to dogs that have had jerky treats..........
Also too much/phosphorus/protien
Many different things can cause acute kidney failure. Certain poisons are well known for their ability to damage the kidney. These poisons include antifreeze (radiator fluid, ethylene glycol), Lily plants (cats only), raisins and grapes, and certain drugs including pain pills such as aspirin or ibuprofen (Advil).
Severe infections in the kidney from bacteria can cause sudden kidney failure. Although kidney infections can occur spontaneously, usually a pre-existing reason exists that reduces a cat’s or dog’s ability to fight infection easily (such as kidney stones, partial urine blockage, or chronic kidney disease). Leptospires are a group of bacteria that can cause acute kidney failure in dogs, but very rarely in cats. Dogs get leptospirosis from urine or water contaminated by infected animals (deer, cattle, rats, raccoons, mice, dogs, other animals).
Anything that decreases blood flow through the kidney can cause kidney failure. This includes dehydration from any cause (such as severe vomiting and diarrhea). Heatstroke or other disorder causing massive damage to blood vessels, such as bee stings or snakebites, can lead to kidney failure.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Please know that all bulldogs here are beloved and to hear
anyone's precious baby is in distress breaks our hearts for
you...I'm so very sorry this is happening :(

Do you trust these vets? I know some ER Vets have more
experience in weird stuff/symptoms, sometimes. Have they
ruled obstruction out, not just by x-ray but sonogram if it is
soft object (like sock or stuffie). Know I am praying now for
a miracle turn around. May GOD watch over her & send you
hope & strength. Please, let us know what happens, we are
here for you!

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
[MENTION=4225]Twice[/MENTION]...

Do you have Cocoa Mulch in your landscape, it is poisonous
to dogs & cats.

dieMuttivonBifi

May 25, 2013
Germany
Country
from the Philippines but residing in Germany
Bulldog(s) Names
Bifi (beef-ii)
Im sooo soo sorry to read this! :( hope you find answers soon!!! fervently hope she pulls through.

MARY BARNES

Aug 27, 2013
Country
CANADA
Bulldog(s) Names
ELLIE 2013-2017....Rocky RIP (2005-2013)
I am so sorry to hear about your baby.. take care we will be praying for both of you ..I can only think of what you are going through .My Ellie is 13 months now. Take care

OP
E

etmaine62

May 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Thank you, I would appreciate any information. Desperately searching for answers.

OP
E

etmaine62

May 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Thank you, any information would be great. I'm desperate!

OP
E

etmaine62

May 26, 2014
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Mac
Thank you! Hugs to that baby of yours. She's precious.

nycbullymama

Dec 22, 2012
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
b and w
I am so sorry to hear this. When they did the blood work, did they check for Leptospires? It's caused two healthy dogs here to go into kidney failure. They catch it from contaminated water/urine from infected animals. In our area, it was rats that caused it. But it could be other dogs, deer, cows, racoons.. etc.

They probably tested for it, but there's nothing else I can think of that may cause this so suddenly.

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
I'm so sorry you're going through this with your baby. Lynn has you covered with the many things that can cause kidney failure. I was going to mention chicken jerky treats as a possible cause, I have two co workers who have lost their dogs, one a Sheltie, and one a Maltese mix, who died of kidney failure 3 months apart from each other, due to jerky treats made in China. The suspected ingredient is glycerin. I hope your baby pulls through and gets better. Sending love, hugs and prayers to you. Please keep us posted on her progress. This is so heartbreaking, and I can't imagine what youre going through.

Most Reactions

📰 Latest posts

Members online