Help Needed! Crusting round spots appearing on my bully's fur??? Pls Help!

tjoylive1

May 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
IMG_0017.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0016.jpg

Hi there! My bully Dinah has these circular (big and small) that began to appear on her shoulders and back, now one on her chest, about 1 month ago??? I am totally lost with this one, perhaps I should have our vet take a look at her (she's due shots soon anyway…); however, I am reading this could be a yeast infection, allergies, etc. She doesn't seem to be uncomfortable, only when I comb her coat and scale one of the spots she flicks her paw as if to want to scratch at it as well….it also seems to be soothing to her for me to comb out these spots as well (maybe scratching an itch, she can't get too) I have seen that this could potentially be some form of ringworm (contagious) smh, so I have been using gloves to treat the areas;-/ I really don't like this because we love her and want to show her the most affection. Generally, she is not attempting the scratch at them, she it really in her typical bulldog manner…sleeping comfortably all day, eating well, and urging us to play football with her;-), so she does not show any symptoms of being "sick" per say, in terms of her manner and eating habits, but I know this has be at least somewhat uncomfortable to deal with...

She has been on the same dog food for quite some time (Purina One-chicken or lamb). This is a totally new occurrence. Although, before the bald spots began to appear, when we would let her out in the yard, she would immediately go the grass, flip to her back and begin to rub against the grass, as if to be scratching her back, appeared to be playful….well now she has these dry spots that are not appearing the spreading all over her back. She is doing a bit of scooting on the ground as well, when we let her out to play, idk….I am at a loss with this one. I have been giving her baths in an all natural Burt's Bee dog shampoo and cleaning the spots with peroxide and neosporin, brushing her coat out every other day, just to keep the spots exposed and not cake/crust up. Again the spots are perfectly round when her hair is lifted…??? I have posted a few pics, please provide any input you can for our baby!;-/

Mia Amor

Apr 30, 2014
Anaheim/ So Cal
Country
usa
Bulldog(s) Names
Mia aka Mia Amor (My love)
I'm new to being a bulldog owner so I don't have any advice for you sorry. Well wishes though for you finding out what's wrong so she grows her fur back.

Sent from Mia's s4 (Mia Amor)

Vikinggirl

Norwegian Rose
Community Veteran
Oct 8, 2012
Burlington, ON Canada
Country
Canada
Bulldog(s) Names
Bulldozer and Blossom
:welcome3:Hi, and welcome to you and Dinah to EBN. I'm sorry I'm not sure what those sores could be from, I'm not familiar with ringworm and what it looks like. I agree with you that the best thing to do to know for sure is to visit the vet and have him take a look at it, and maybe do a skin scraping to do a proper diagnosis. This could very well be a food related allergy, I have a lot of experience with allergy issues, as my female Blossom has allergies to chicken, salmon, corn and grains. Many bullies are allergic or sensitive to chicken. Have you checked out the dog food ratings on the home page? They rate the dog food brands from a 1 Star up to a 6 Star rating for nutrition. You should strive for a 4 Star or better rating, for best quality of food and nutrition for your dog. Unfortunately Purina is rated at a 1 or a 2 due to lots of additives, and fillers. These are not the best things for your bully. We switched our guys from Royal Canin that the breeder had them on, as it was rated only a 2 or a 3 Star, and Blossom had many skin issues from the chicken based protein and also from the grains, corn and other fillers in the food. She had pink skin, she licked her paws constantly, she had warm pink ears, she was itchy, and she had chin acne. When we switched to Fromm's Beef Frittata which is a beef based dog food, and is grain free, all her symptoms disappeared, and her poops were normal, soft but firm and well formed. She goes poop twice a day. If Dinah has allergy symptoms you can try switching her food, and we also add a Tbsp. of plain unsweetened yogurt to their morning kibble everyday, it is a great source of probiotics which is good for digestion and also the probiotics boost the immune system, which helps with allergy symptoms and helps to fight illness. We also add 1 Tbsp. of apple cider vinegar to their drinking water everyday, which has a lot of health benefits, it kills the bad bacteria in the body, so again boosts the immune system, it balances the Ph levels of the blood, and it is a natural anti inflammatory. I hope that Dinah's sores heal soon, and it's nothing serious. Please keep us posted on what the vet says, and check out the dog food ratings. If you click on any of the underlined words, it will take you to that site automatically.

2BullyMama

I'm not OCD....now who moved my bulldog?
Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
Welcome to EBN!!!

Even though she has been fine on the food, does not mean it is not the issue. Purina is not a good food and her system may just not be reacting to it... also, chicken tends to be a sensitive protein for bulldogs. I would look to change her to a grain free non-chicken based food and add some fish oil to her diet to help with the dry patches. Does not look like ringworm in the pictures, just really dry skin.

I tagged a few others that might be able to add more insight.... food and skin .

best of luck and please post more pictures of your Dinah.... need to see that lovely face!

ddnene

EBN's SWEETHEART aka our little GOOB
Staff member
Jun 19, 2013
Nashville, Tennessee
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Willow (2015) Walter (2014-22) Winston (2012-13) Wellie (2012-13) Bella (2007-13)
:welcome2: to EBN!!! These patches to me look like ringworm… my Bella had it for years, it kept coming back. You will have to get a vet to confirm it though… it is contagious, although we never had an issue at our house. I just kept her bedding away from my other pets, and washed everything in hot water. We figured out that Bella kept catching it from out cat Zoe… Cats can carry ringworm, and not show symptoms of the disease. Good luck and keep us posted!!!

Libra926

Pistol Packing Bullyagrapher
Staff member
May 5, 2010
Washington
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Vegas and Orion
I literally just took Vegas to the vet for this exact same thing. They told me it was dermatitis. They gave him an antibiotic. He is still on it. IMG_0821.jpg

Manydogs

Community Veteran
May 2, 2013
Tennessee
Country
U.S.A.
Bulldog(s) Names
Maudee,MarthaKatie,Lizzie,Bro.Mini
Sorry, I am late, as usual! This could be one of 3 possible issues. Food related issue. I recently read something very negative about Purine one(of course I can't recall what it was) Dermatitus, as [MENTION=572]Libra926[/MENTION] stated, or ringworm, which does look crusty and circular(thus the name)Ringworm would not be helped by neosporin, as it is a fungus. Since you are due to the vet, yes, have him do a scrape to determine it. Best of luck. I would get your baby on a better food.

Texas Carol

Texas Carol....put the heart in EBN
Community Veteran
Jul 4, 2012
Central Texas
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Brutus & Cami live in Heaven
Agree with my learned friends above, grain free, non chicken food,
Greek yogurt (just small dollop daily), do a skin scrape. Try ACV
(Apple Cider Vinegar) added to water (a TBSP) and dab on spots
twice daily. It kills fungus as well as many wonderful benefits! Never
knew there are different types of ringworm & appearence but it's so!
Best of luck & let us know what Vet says.

Transition food change slowly...GOD bless!

OP
T

tjoylive1

May 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
OMG! thank you all for your responses, you all have given me some very valuable information….we are definitely going to change her food to something better rated and I will keep you all posted with Dinah's progress, she has a vet apptmt scheduled;-) Here are some more pics of the spots and her beautiful IMG_0029.jpgIMG_0031.jpgIMG_0033.jpgIMG_0030.jpgIMG_0032.jpgface;-)

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Chelios (Frenchie), Cubby (Frenchie) Nitschke (2004-2011) Banks (2005-2014) and Lambeau (2014-2024)
OMG! thank you all for your responses, you all have given me some very valuable information….we are definitely going to change her food to something better rated and I will keep you all posted with Dinah's progress, she has a vet apptmt scheduled;-) Here are some more pics of the spots and her beautiful View attachment 71848View attachment 71849View attachment 71850View attachment 71851View attachment 71852face;-)

She is BEAUTIFUL.... let us know how the vet apointment goes and which food you decide on! She is going to be a very happy and healthy girl in no time!

Jeffrey

Aug 10, 2012
Country
China
Bulldog(s) Names
Jeffrey, Hero and Saber
Hi, I was just about to start a new post when i saw this. My JJ has similar symptoms but not as serious as Dinah. He has been shedding quite heavily lately (the summer weather in Shanghai has cranked up a few notches lately), but then i started noticing these patched appear on his lower back. JJ has had some hotspots in the past but they normally get better in a few days after shaving the area and drying the spots out. I am not sure that these are hotspots as they are not as red but some of the patches have flaky skin and drops of blood appeared on some bits after light combing. We are thinking it may be allergy to some doggy treats or a slow reaction to a recent change in dog food but we have now taking him off and put him back on to Advoderm so we hope that this will improve the condition. Here are some pics of the spots:
JJ Spots1.jpgJJ Spots2.jpgJJ Spots3.jpg

2BullyMama

Staff member
Community Veteran
Jul 28, 2011
Gilbertsville, PA
Country
USA
Bulldog(s) Names
Hi, I was just about to start a new post when i saw this. My JJ has similar symptoms but not as serious as Dinah. He has been shedding quite heavily lately (the summer weather in Shanghai has cranked up a few notches lately), but then i started noticing these patched appear on his lower back. JJ has had some hotspots in the past but they normally get better in a few days after shaving the area and drying the spots out. I am not sure that these are hotspots as they are not as red but some of the patches have flaky skin and drops of blood appeared on some bits after light combing. We are thinking it may be allergy to some doggy treats or a slow reaction to a recent change in dog food but we have now taking him off and put him back on to Advoderm so we hope that this will improve the condition. Here are some pics of the spots:
View attachment 71910View attachment 71911View attachment 71912

yes, allergy to the food.... keep us posted on the food transition back to Avoderm, hope it clears up the issue

OP
T

tjoylive1

May 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Hi there, I was thinking maybe they could be hot spots too, only that they are not very inflamed (red), but more dry and flaky and becomes a bit agitated when coming her out and yup, Dinah has been shedding quite a bit lately too, but I think it's just her winter coat coming off. We have now switched her to Blue Buffalo (grain free) and I have started putting ACV (apple cider vinegar) on the spots as well as giving her alkaline water and a TBsp bull of ACV in her water, so she seems to be very excited about the changes:p:D She has a vet appointment this week, we plan to have the spots scraped just to get a definite diagnoses. I will keep everyone posted and thanks!!

OP
T

tjoylive1

May 29, 2014
Country
United States
Bulldog(s) Names
Dinah
Hello everyone! We got Dinah to the vet and she has a yeast and bacterial infection on her skin and allergies;-/ She is now on two different oral meds (ketoconazole 200mg) & (Cephalexin 500mg), also a medicated shampoo to use twice a week for 2 weeks. I am happy that we finally have the answer to this seemingly endless skin problem;-) This is the first time that we have dealt with a skin problem (or any "problems") with our Dinah and she's 5 1/2 years old, so we are pretty lucky! wouldn't ya say?!:D We are on our way now and looking forward to our baby making a full recovery!!!

Thank you all for your feedback on this one...;-)

Most Reactions

Staff online

Members online